Nose Question

Darkrai

If a dogs nose is supposed to be black but is born pink does it darken to black??

eg... White poodles have black noses when adults are they born with pink noses or black???

I do't breed whites but visited a friend today and her newborns had pink noses???

Depends on breed and colour.

Pups can be born with pink noses and may have darker pigment spots on it. As the pup gets older the pigment spots will darken and more pigment will come through.

Again depending on your breed and colour, most standards will require the nose to be fully pigmentated, unless the dog is a merle, where "missing" pigment is allowed.

A dog may have a black nose, liver nose or blue nose depending on breed, colour and pigment base. For example, a red border collie can have black pigment or liver pigment.

Australian Shepherds are genereally born with pink noses; the pigment fills in and the stardard requires it to be 90% fill I think.

that's a blanket rule for all four colours, a foster pup I had here was born with an entirely black nose at birth.

Australian Shepherds are genereally born with pink noses; the pigment fills in and the stardard requires it to be 90% fill I think.

that's a blanket rule for all four colours, a foster pup I had here was born with an entirely black nose at birth.

If you're going to post something breed specific, be accurate...

From the standard:

Nose: Blue merles and blacks have black pigmentation on the nose (and lips). Red merles and reds have liver (brown) pigmentation on the nose (and lips). On the merles it is permissible to have small pink spots, however they should not exceed 25% of the nose on dogs over one year of age which is a serious fault.

The amount of white will typically affect the amount of pigment on a newborn, those with more often take a little longer to fill in, in my personal experience with Aussies. But don't forget there are types of 'white', eg a samoyed and perhaps even a poodle is actually caused by a different gene to the white patterning of other breeds such as mine.

If you're going to post something breed specific, be accurate...

From the standard:

Nose: Blue merles and blacks have black pigmentation on the nose (and lips). Red merles and reds have liver (brown) pigmentation on the nose (and lips). On the merles it is permissible to have small pink spots, however they should not exceed 25% of the nose on dogs over one year of age which is a serious fault.

My apologies.

Who knows :) but do let us know if they turn black.

Maybe wrong but can't see it happening however they won't stay pink.

All my blacks have black noses. Browns have black or brown noses & when I bred apricot they always had black or brown noses. Not had whites. Poodles that is.

Sometimes the brown nose is a little lighter, sort of pinky tone but still definately brown at birth then it darkens but not that much.

it was a cream coloured Dachie only 3 days old and had a pink nose???

I've only delt with blacks and dark coloured puppies, so it interested me...

Creams should have a black nose and black nails

but u said it was 3 weeks old? All mine had pink noses at 3 days old

25866b59.jpg

Edited by TeamSnag

Whippets noses are generally pink at birth and colour up over the next few weeks/months. I noticed something interesting with the first litter I bred though.

Of the 7 surviving puppies, I kept 3 from birth to hand raise on formula and sent 4 away to be fostered on another whippet bitch. When I went to visit the foster pups at around 2 weeks old they all had almost fully pigmented noses but my little formula fed ones still had mostly pink noses. They eventually all coloured up just fine but the formula fed ones took alot longer.

Edited by Kirislin

Cavs noses and pink at birth and turn black.

Whole colours go black quicker than parti colours.

Are the Black & Tans born with pink noses too???!!!

:):laugh: So long sine I have had black and tan I can not remember what colour they are.

KuruandMangau020.jpg

Here is a ruby that had a blenheim father. Ruby's from Raker had a slightly darker colour BBJ has those photos.