Adding A Third Dog

Agility Dogs

We've now had our 3rd dog (15 week old puppy) for almost 2 weeks. Although she came quite quickly and I hadn't planned on it for another 12 months or so I had been thinking about bringing another pup into the house for a little while so I wasn't completely unprepared.

What has happened since she arrived HAS been a total surprise though. I thought Xena and the puppy would be best mates, and CK would be the one I would have to watch.

Xena (bitch) is still miss independent, don't want to know about the other animals in the house, except occasionally on her terms. She now acknowledges the puppy, but is yet to engage in play with her.

CK (dog) is the one who has surprised me. It is like he has grown up overnight. He has gone from being the puppy of the house who would look to Xena for support all the time to being top dog without question. He is disciplining the puppy when she needs it (although he won't do it in front of me again :heart: , we have an understanding that it is not his job to do that), he is also looking after 'his' puppy - eg: we have a very nasty cat who takes no crap from the dogs. CK is gently sliding between the cat and the puppy and pushing the cat out of the way if it looks like there will be a problem. He does the same if the puppy is starting to annoy Xena too much.

He is also calmer when we walk past other dogs in the street - almost like he needs to be stronger. I know this is not a reflection of me because with the 3 dogs I have been more tense.

As for the puppy she adores both the other dogs and is very respectful. The coolest bit though is that she has bonded more to me than the dogs. (Didn't want another dog bonding to it's kennel mate more than to me - oops.)

I know I'm going to have to stay on top of things as the pup gets older (she is quite a pushy little dog and her mother's name is Miss Pushy Push), but for now I could not be more pleased with the way it is all panning out.

Just thought I'd share for those who are thinking about it.

I have a toller staying with me for the next 3 weeks, its one I bred (she is now 4 years old) and the owners have gone overseas. She arrived last night and the look on my old girls face was....... not another one :laugh: . Feeding and sleeping arrangements were all sorted pretty quickly and Lola has fitted in like she has lived with us all her life.

My new baby arrives out of Quarantine in 10 days time and I am expecting a lot more interruption to the general living arrangements when he arrives. I expect one of the bigger kids to take on the teaching/mother duties I am just not sure which one it will be at this stage.

Good luck with your new baby :heart: