It Could Be So Simple!

Sue & Rotts

Why don't Dogs NSW just go through the breed standards looking for phrases such as 'aloof' or 'not given to indiscriminate friendships' :heart: and replacing them with something more socially acceptable in today's world?

Like 'NOT aggressive to well meaning strangers, however may be uninterested in casual contact". :D

They're the dog writers, not me - but it all starts with the breed standards and some support for the breeders who want to adapt their breed to modern Australian society would be really welcome? I don't want to alter the essential nature of my breed, just weed out the ones who are not receptive to strangers who mean no harm. :laugh:

Ummm because " aloof" does not mean aggressive. The word "aloof" is found in the breed standard of dogs such as the Afghan, Basenji and the RR, none of which are currently "restricted" or look like being added to the list, as they are ANKC recognised breeds.

and the point of your post was ?

Why don't Dogs NSW just go through the breed standards looking for phrases such as 'aloof' or 'not given to indiscriminate friendships' :laugh: and replacing them with something more socially acceptable in today's world?

Like 'NOT aggressive to well meaning strangers, however may be uninterested in casual contact". :(

They're the dog writers, not me - but it all starts with the breed standards and some support for the breeders who want to adapt their breed to modern Australian society would be really welcome? I don't want to alter the essential nature of my breed, just weed out the ones who are not receptive to strangers who mean no harm. :(

You are quite correct. An aloof dog is more likely to bite and as you say socially unacceptable to people today. ANKC are simply digging their own grave as they did with BSL. Dog owners are facing massive attacks at the moment without having the usually suspects white-anting them from within.

it makes no sense, considering that when breeds are mentioned as "dangerous" and that they warrant inclusion on the list, some of the words in the standards used for them include

high spirited, faithfull, placid, devoted, fond of children, affectionate and totally reliable

The National Breed Councils have the power to recommend changes to their breeds standards at the national conferences in cases where it is not the FCI or country of origin standard that is adopted. I can't remember the full proceedure but know I have voted on proposed changes to the BC standard. If you want changes get involved in your breed club and do something.

A standard is not what causes a breed to be restricted, so I also do not understand the point.

Did you miss the bit about "not given to indiscriminate friendships?" The point is, that if I DARE to suggest that it is unnecessary for our dogs to be stand-offish, I get shouted down by those quoting the breed standard!

Ummm because " aloof" does not mean aggressive. The word "aloof" is found in the breed standard of dogs such as the Afghan, Basenji and the RR, none of which are currently "restricted" or look like being added to the list, as they are ANKC recognised breeds.

It doesn't mean friendly either. Do we have some objection to friendly dogs in some breeds?

I don't think aloof dogs are more likely to bite then others.

and from what I found when I asked google to define the word aloof this is what came up, on dictionary.com

Aloof:

–adverb

at a distance, esp. in feeling or interest; apart: They always stood aloof from their classmates.

–adjective

reserved or reticent; indifferent; disinterested: Because of his shyness, he had the reputation of being aloof.

It all depends on what you look for in a breed. I prefer dogs who are aloof but that alone is my preference. In Rottweilers since they were bred to be originally guard dogs it would be a strange to have a over friendly one, but I suppose it all comes down to personal preference and what you want the dog to do.

--Lhok

It doesn't mean friendly either. Do we have some objection to friendly dogs in some breeds?

Do you seriously expect that every breed of dog greets people they do not know , slobbering and with their tail wagging ? I've spent plenty of time with dogs that according to their breed standard should be "aloof". They certainly haven't taken the arm off or threatened someone that's approached them. Aloof means that they simply don't give a toss, it does not mean they are timid , aggressive or otherwise unbalanced.

The arguement of changing the breed standard just doesn't wash with me, given the calls to add such breeds as the Staffordshire Bull Terrier to the list. It makes no sense when the SBT has written into it's standard and requires a dog that is highly intelligent and affectionate.

You are focusing on the word "aloof" as if it was written to mean killer

Do you seriously expect that every breed of dog greets people they do not know , slobbering and with their tail wagging ? I've spent plenty of time with dogs that according to their breed standard should be "aloof". They certainly haven't taken the arm off or threatened someone that's approached them. Aloof means that they simply don't give a toss, it does not mean they are timid , aggressive or otherwise unbalanced.

The arguement of changing the breed standard just doesn't wash with me, given the calls to add such breeds as the Staffordshire Bull Terrier to the list. It makes no sense when the SBT has written into it's standard and requires a dog that is highly intelligent and affectionate.

You are focusing on the word "aloof" as if it was written to mean killer

To many people an aloof dog means just that - killer. An aloof dog is also harder to "read" when approaching. It's OK it's aloof not getting ready to strike by eyeing you down. Given people can't read dogs in general better to be seen to be doing something rather than nothing. Just as silly to call the English Bull Terrier the gladiator of the canine race. If we don't act others will as is happening now.

Why don't Dogs NSW just go through the breed standards looking for phrases such as 'aloof' or 'not given to indiscriminate friendships' :) and replacing them with something more socially acceptable in today's world?

Like 'NOT aggressive to well meaning strangers, however may be uninterested in casual contact". ;)

They're the dog writers, not me - but it all starts with the breed standards and some support for the breeders who want to adapt their breed to modern Australian society would be really welcome? I don't want to alter the essential nature of my breed, just weed out the ones who are not receptive to strangers who mean no harm. :D

:laugh:

:eek::thumbsup::laugh:

What do you mean by "friendly"?

Friendly does not equal harmless. You can have a dog that is friendly to humans who at the same time wants to kill another dog. You can have a dog that is actually pretty rude that an uninformed person might see as friendly but which is actually unfriendly.

Aloof does not equal aggressive either. I would like you to meet my Saluki bitch. Aloof definitely, aggressive, definitely not. And her temperament is the Saluki standard to a tee. She is not a danger to anyone, but she is also not a waggy tailed labradoodle type who will monster anyone she meets for treats and pats.

To many people an aloof dog means just that - killer.

:laugh: Only if 'many people' don't understand English or are illiterate in it.

There is no aggression implied in the term at all.

An aloof dog is more likely to ignore a stranger than react to them, the only thing likely to be harmed is the stranger's sense of self-importance.

:laugh: Only if 'many people' don't understand English or are illiterate in it.

There is no aggression implied in the term at all.

An aloof dog is more likely to ignore a stranger than react to them, the only thing likely to be harmed is the stranger's sense of self-importance.

Um, as usual Diva says it better!

As the owner of a very aloof dog, I find this ludicrous bordering on very offensive. Rather than change breed standards, I think basic vocabulary should be a requirement.

And before anyone sees something "sinister" in being aloof, would you like to see a 72 kilo puppy bound up to people and demand attention? Other dogs have no trouble in understanding aloof, pity about those with opposable thumbs.

A standard is not what causes a breed to be restricted, so I also do not understand the point.

Did you miss the bit about "not given to indiscriminate friendships?" The point is, that if I DARE to suggest that it is unnecessary for our dogs to be stand-offish, I get shouted down by those quoting the breed standard!

Hi Sue,

If you are referring to Rottwieller's, they are a working dog of a guardian breed and the stand offish one's are probably the one's with the most authenticity and alliance with the breed standards. Without sounding patronising, why have a guardian breed then complain because it has the genetics to do it's job???. A dog of a guardian breed that hasn't the genetics for that job, isn't a correct example of the breed although it may be more socially preferred, the dog is actually a dud. :laugh:

Aloofness isn't aggression and hostility, it's the dog not trusting the stranger at that point with the sharpness to react if the meeting turned pear shape. A seemingly friendly stranger may be someone who intends to grab your handbag and an aloof dog will be ready for any misadventure. Aloofness and sharpness is a great basic trait for a dog to successfully be trained in protection where your Rotties, GSD's, Belgian Malinios, Dobie's excel in that working role.

People who buy guardian breeds should be prepared for the likelyhood of protective genetics surfacing and learn how to handle and train them for acceptable social behaviour. I don't think that people should try and breed out protective genetics from these breeds without impeccable knowledge of what they need to achieve when playing with nerve strength and hardness which can backfire to create unpredictable fear aggression being the make up of some truly dangerous dogs. Plenty of other breeds who are licky monsters and everyone's friend to chose from :laugh:

Edited by SharpShep