Did You Buy Your Puppy From A Less Than Reputable "breeder"?

PoppyDog

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are not the only one!!

Our Poodle was from a registered breeder. Did my research blah blah blah. Expected and discussed limited registration - turns out she never registered the litter as it was an accidental mating and the bitches 3rd litter consecutively and she didn't want the reprimand.

Our pup had lots of urinary tract infections as a baby - when I asked if she had had anything like this before she denied anything - "Never had any problems". I later found out that genito-urinary issues are very much present in her lines :laugh: She wasn't interested in us after we took the pup home and the few times I rang her with questions or updates her interest level was very low. A few months later she disappeared - no longer breeding - well not as a registered breeder as far as I know!

So, even when you think you are doing the right thing it sometimes doesn't work out. Enjoy your pup and don't worry about the past now :laugh:

I don't believe I have made any wrong choices at this stage but like mentioned, I now wonder if I have looked for everything that I should be to ensure me and the puppy get the best chance from the start, so to speak.

I did also pick this breeder by default in a way....we have already waited many years and we were growing impatient (but not enough to adopt from a pet shop)

I recently moved back to QLD after being in SA for 10 or so years.

In SA, I was on a breeders (highly recommended) list to receive a puppy but years later, our name still hadn't come up as we were picky in the

fact that we wanted a girl, with certain colors (tri) of "show quality". With the breeder being "one of the best" in SA, the waiting list was a long one. At that stage we were happy to wait for that right puppy to come along.

So on the move back to QLD, the want for a puppy increased and in March-April this year, we began researching breeders here in QLD.

After many calls to the few highly respected breeders here, we were put onto the breeder we are dealing with now. She doesnt breed often

but intended to this year, and has successfully, hence we are getting our puppy in 3.5 weeks time!

She has bred a few champions and her dogs also come from a long line of various champions etc. Even though she is in QLD, she is very far away

from us so we havent actually met her or her dogs and puppies in person.

I guess this itself makes me wonder alot as I have never really dealt with something as important as this in such a manner. Its always been very hands on, personal. (not with someone I have never actually met)

She has a small pack of only a few dogs.

We have been there from the start...she let us know when she discovered the mating was successful..we were the first people she got in touch with, after a night of no sleep, to let us know about the birth, even though

at that stage, it was far from certain that there was a puppy suitable for us. (That has only been confirmed within the last week)

She believes at least 2 of her puppies are showing signs of being great show dogs...they seem to have great coats and markings...and with them walking and playing now etc, she believes they are showing great promise.

We still don't know out of the two, which will become our new puppy. All others, as far as I know will be placed on the limited registry.

She was excited in the fact that we wanted to show and from what I understand, this itself bumped us up her waiting list.

There hasnt been a great need to ask alot of questions as she likes to talk. Most conversations are one sided but in this case its a great thing

as she covers any questions before we even need to ask! She is very friendly and seems very honest. She also seems to seriously love, anything dog realted.

To be honest, I don't believe she is better, or I should say, as well known as other breeders (that have won many awards) that were contacted...however it was those other breeders that suggested we get in touch with her in the first place. This makes me feel comfortable that we have made a good decision.

With that said though, this is our first puppy/dog as adults and my experience in breeders up until now is nil.

I guess im just a newbie to this all and that makes me constantly questions my decisions and actions....which is to be expected.

The good thing about such is that it forces me to constantly research etc but book smart is one thing, experience is another.

I haven't had a dog since I was a kid, I havent had a dog since I was 14. My parents used to show Dachshunds and I had one of my own, up until I was 14. I was never really involved in the showing however and my actual dog was never shown.

I feel confident that I will make a great owner to my dog and give it everything it needs but with little experience I guess it makes me questions every little aspect.

Typing this all out though has made me feel more confident again in my choice and decision in breeder. I think. hehe.

Just to hear stories that people adopt from what they believe to be a great and reputable breeder only to later find out otherwise makes one wonder.

I got one of my dogs from a Registered Breeder.....but have since learnt that really they might have been a BYB. The dog in question lived a life of illness and was finally put out of their misery at 11 months with cancer.

I'd have to say even the nicest of breeders can be not nice at all.

BF

I got my first dog before I knew much about the whole BYB/puppy farm issue. He came from a farm where they had a male Golden Retriever and a female lab. I don't know if it was a deliberate mating but I don't think there have been any more litters from them. I met both parents and as far as I could tell they were well looked after healthy dogs, my boy was the second last of the litter to go and about six months old but was up to date on all his shots. He had some fleas but no worm issues. He is a healthy strapping 3 year old now with no signs of any health issues so far. I don't regret it, but will give more consideration to where my dogs come from in future, my second dog is a rescue.

i bought my dog from a byb before i knew about them.

i thought i was doing the right thing researched the breed looked at a lot of different cav's then we found one she was beautiful we even saw her parents, after about 3wks she started getting fluffy. on our next vet consult we asked them about her coat and she told us that she was a cross poodle. so i was back to researching all about poodles when i had then learnt all about byb.

I think it's interesting people say "I wouldn't go to a BYB but my next dog will be a rescue", when this is where most of the rescues come from originally.

With this being the case, are the health issues in BYB dogs more prevalent than those in dogs that have been rescued??

Just got me thinking...

I think it's interesting people say "I wouldn't go to a BYB but my next dog will be a rescue", when this is where most of the rescues come from originally.

With this being the case, are the health issues in BYB dogs more prevalent than those in dogs that have been rescued??

Just got me thinking...

I think people are looking at it from an ethical perspective?

Just got me thinking...

I think people are looking at it from an ethical perspective?

Yeah true, I just get caught up with health issues, but that's OT sorry :laugh:

Our black Lab Sam is a BYB. I never saw his parents as he was born out in the country but my friend who took one of the girls from the same litter did and she said they were lovely. I didn't know anything about breeders, BYB, puppy farms or what health checks to look for.

The "breeders" were coming up to the city to sell the last couple of pups and having seen the photos of my friend's pup we decided to go look at the two males (we had intended to get a Lab so that part wasn't impulsive at least!)

By the time we got to see the pups there was only one left and of course we fell in love straight away, I had no idea that 6.5 weeks old was too young to be getting a puppy and so he came home with us the next day.

I can't even begin to tell you what a learning curve it is for two people who have NEVER been around dogs in their life taking on a very spirited pup. It's been a rollercoaster but he has grown, matured and settling at last in to a lovely big bear. We joined DOL and that is where the learning curve continued.

Needless to say when we added Delilah to the family we were much more aware, and got a lot of advice from the SA Dalmatian Club, went to dog shows and found a well recommended breeder who was fantastic to deal with.

Holly was on oops litter im guessing. Her mum was about to be shot when someone saved her. let her have her pups in peace. and a few weeks after i got holly some one stole her mum. The chicky was heart broken. She had fallen in love with holly's mum , Sandy. I'm still in contact with holly's mums saviour.

My RB babier were both strays. I couldnt find their owners. when we got Diesel OH was looking for an older BC x Cattle but ended up falling in love with this ugly lil pup instead. Sheebs was bred for the RAAF base, and Chance was one of sheebs oops litter (incompetent owners) some where between the RAAF base and us. We were her 3rd home from Oct09 to Jan10 and thats not including the RAAF base.

Princess was from a byb. Given to OH as payment for helping them move. Friends of a friend. Nice ppl just stoopid dog owners.

Both my dogs are from registered breeders with ANKC papers. When I started looking for a puppy I ensured that I went to see the pups, the environment the pups were kept in, their parents etc. There was one breeder listed on DOL who put me off terribly. The dogs were in a shocking condition and the owner had a huge wound on his arm which he explained was caused by his puppy biting him (the one that he was offering us :laugh: ). Needless to say, we got out as soon as we could, though a part me did want to get the puppy out of that horrid environment. But I already had my first dog by then and I couldn't subject him to a potentially aggressive and ill-bred puppy.

So, who else brought their puppy from a not so reliable or reputable place and then learn't all about it after? I can't be the ONLY one???

You are far from alone PoppyDog. One of my first dog's was from a neighbour whose dogs I loved and when he told me he was going to breed them, I was overjoyed and booked two - LOL. I had absolutely no idea and so many of us don't.

Joining DOL is a huge learning curve for just about everyone - and not just about dogs :laugh::(:(

When my fiance and I started seriously looking for our puppy we were warned off BYB's and pet shops. We were told all about why it was NOT such a good idea to buy a puppy this way. We took due note and started looking for a "breeder". We just didn't realise that there were breeder and then there were breeders. :(

To this day I don't REALLY know where our puppy came from BUT I suspect a puppy farm. :(

A LOVELY lady in Brisbane sold her to us. The puppies were hand raised by her at her home from 4 weeks of age! :laugh: And sold at 8 weeks.

She sells the "Designer Breeds" and that was another thing we didn't realise. Delibrate cross breeding = NOT a good breeder.

I don't know if this women is oblivious or knows what she is doing but she kept on of the litter that Poppy was in and still sends me photos and updates of Poppy's sister. She also LOVES when I send photos of Poppy and tells me how grateful and happy she is that we gave Poppy such a loving home and that we keep in contact with her.

Of course I know better now and I would never buy a second puppy off her. AFTER we got Poppy I had members of another forum tell me that she would most probably have health issues and that she probably was full of worms, fleas and had anal gland problems. :cheer: The response I got on this forum from those members about our new puppy ruined the puppy experience for me. I was petrified we would go to bed and wake up in the morning and Poppy would be dead! :cheer: I was so scared that something would happen to her. Looking back I was a bunch of nerves.

We are lucky that she IS healthy and happy and has no problems as yet.

So, who else brought their puppy from a not so reliable or reputable place and then learn't all about it after? I can't be the ONLY one???

oh your poor person! i genuinely feel sorry for you. enjoy your puppy, as long as you learnt a lesson out of it, is the main thing. one of my first dogs was from an unethical breeder as we didn't know any better, this was 25 years ago, my first chihuahuas along with my mother. the breeder we got our first long coat chi from told us to breed out severe patella luxation, weak stomach lining with hernia and severe overshot, we wanted the puppy for showing and breeding. we were offered a return mating on this girl. we refused quoting it was unethical to breed such a dog. we got her desexed our little angel and she lived her life until 16 years of age as my fathers treasured pet.

so basically we all live and learn.

Edited by toy dog

My parents bought me a German Shepherd puppy from a BYB when I was 9 and we were just very lucky that she lived to 14 (Cancer that took her in the end) but we were very lucky we didn't end up with hip and elbow problems.

Wow! I'm glad I am not the only one!

It really shows that buying a puppy is no easy task.

It's easy enough to tell the general public to avoid BYB's and Puppy Farms but its not so easy to explain HOW to find a REPUTABLE breeder as opposed to a registared breeder.

I would LOVE a second CKCS in the future. I want to experience that piece of mind and enjoy puppyhood. But then again a part of me would also LOVE to rescue a CKCS.

Our Poppy is a CKCS cross Cavoodle. :laugh:

I've had pups from pet shops, BYBs, and FTGH adverts... the only one that had a health issue was the Rotti boy that came from a pet shop - at 7 years of age he developed bone cancer, blew a vertebrae in his neck, and had to go to the Bridge before his time.

T.

Well I have a pet shop oodle so I am overqualified to post in this thread :laugh::eek:

I of course don't regret Finn, he is a very very special dog and I love him to bits and could not imagine my life without him. But I do wish I had known what I know now before contributing to the BYB/petshop/puppy farm problem :thumbsup: He is not even 4 and has just developed issues in his brain and may be on medication for the rest of his life. He also has skin problems and a coat that is very difficult to manage. Occassionally I spare a thought for his two brothers - I hope they are in loving committed homes who won't be put off if the dogs have suffered similar problems as Finn.

My boy is from a BYB. We got him 8 years ago, before I knew better. My husband wanted a GSD and found an ad in the paper, so off we went. Unfortunately, in his excitement, he obviously wasn't paying much attention because the ad was for a GSP not a shepherd! LOL! Anyway, we rocked up and were greeted by four 5 week old GSP cross puppies (the ad said purebred...). They were tiny little skeletons with massive worm bellies. The 'breeders' were feeding them nothing but rice milk and they had already been taken away from their mother. :laugh: The mother was a purebred Lab and the father was a GSP. Our boy was the runt and we just couldn't leave him there. He was a sick little boy for the first week, but he was fine after that. He does have several issues - he has a dodgy shoulder, he has allergies and he has the canine versions of OCD and ADHD. I guess I'm glad we ended up with him because not many people would have put up with his destruction!

Our three other dogs are rescues in various forms, and I will only ever own rescue or pedigree dogs in the future. :eek: