Looking For Our 1st Puppy

Azz24

Hi, im new here and we're looking to buy our first puppy :laugh:

We have done a fair bit or research about different breeds but just cant decide exactly what we want. Have also tried the 'breed selector' quiz's on a few different websites and seem to get a lot of varied and random results.

Atm my wife is leaning towards a west highland white terrier, but im thinking more along the lines of a miniture schnauzer.

We both work F/T and live in a generously sized townhouse with 2 small yards (both with good fences). We are active, have no other pets and are looking for some extra company before any kids come along! :laugh:

Any advice or opinions would be appreciated

Cheers Azz

Hi, im new here and we're looking to buy our first puppy :laugh:

We have done a fair bit or research about different breeds but just cant decide exactly what we want. Have also tried the 'breed selector' quiz's on a few different websites and seem to get a lot of varied and random results.

Atm my wife is leaning towards a west highland white terrier, but im thinking more along the lines of a miniture schnauzer.

We both work F/T and live in a generously sized townhouse with 2 small yards (both with good fences). We are active, have no other pets and are looking for some extra company before any kids come along! :(

Cheers Azz

Hi and welcome :(

I dont know much about the two breeds you have mentioned, other DOLers will prob be able to tell you more on whether they are suited to you, But just a few questions to make ppl helping you easier, have either of you owned a dog before? what is it that you are most looking for in a dog? eg easily trainable? high/low energy, size, type of coat/shedding? amount of time you are willing to spend on grooming. There is prob a few more that others will add :cheer: its been a long day for my brain. oh have you thought of getting a shelter/rescue dog or have you got your hearts set on a reg'd purebred?

I know nothing about the breeds you have chosen but I would recommend going to dog shows to meet breeders of the dogs on your short list (as well as their dogs). With kids in the future I would look into the temprement of what ever breed you choose.

14ish years ago my husband and I did the same thing (ie purchased fur kids before our kids). We were mainly looking at temprement. We ended up with 2 golden retriever sisters. My MIL was not happy as she expected us to get a dog from the pound but it was very important to me to meet the pups parents. We met our girls mum and grandmum and were very happy with their behavour. Our girls were great with our kids!

i have a mini schnuazer and though we love him (they are very smart and pretty easy to train, the grooming i love and the slightly less 'drive' than a terrier i also love. plus i'm a huge fan of a decent moustache on a dog! and i am constantly laughing at the xpression my boy can make with the aide of his magnificent eyebrows!) i wouldn't necessarily reccomend them to be home alone all day.

our boy would cope with being home alone, but he is happier when either the cats or we are around. if you are planning on leaving the dog outdoors then i'm not sure a mini schnauzer would be too pleased with that! some schnauzers will just curl up and go to sleep if left alone, inside or out, but many may start to become destructive as they are smart little dogs and like a lot of environmental stimulation and mental challenge. -though i imagine this would hold more true for westies? :laugh:

but i love my mini schnauzer and though probably not my 'heart' breed per se (that has to belong to the rough collie) they suited our lifestyle and so they were our choice-BUT we are so pleased with him and so happy with the breed that i might always own a mini schnauzer. i really was suprised at how well he held his own against the working breeds at obeidence and agility.

have you considered a mini poodle? we were considering them too but wanted something with a bit more spunk...but poodles are pretty awesome dogs. i have no experience with westies so i can't comment.

I have a mini Schnauzer also he is 8 years old now, had him from the time he was a pup. I had two toddlers and one on the way at the time.

My situation was different because I was at home. For me it was like having another child in a way (2 toddler + 1 fur toddler :laugh:). They are very cleaver. They learn very quickly but you need to be there to teach them.You will need time for training/toilet train.

The other thing is that you need to consider time for grooming daily and the cost of grooming/clipping every 6 - 8 weeks. Unless you do grooming classes and do it yourself. I did.

My mini thought he was above the new baby in the clan but I knew the signs and changed it. I don't know if a mini schnauzer would be a good choice for a first time dog owner. This is my experience with my mini schnauzer. I don't know how others of the same breed are. I do have to say they are so loyal and loving and just soooooo clever. I think if they could talk they would. We love him to bits :eek:

Hi, im new here and we're looking to buy our first puppy :eek:

We both work F/T and live in a generously sized townhouse with 2 small yards (both with good fences). We are active, have no other pets and are looking for some extra company before any kids come along! :thumbsup:

Cheers Azz

Big Show at KCC this saturday, close on 1500 dogs. Good place to see nearly all breeds. Starts at 9.00am :laugh:

I think the breeds you're looking at might have a bit of a waiting list for puppies.

When you decide on a breed google that breed club for your state. The breed clubs often have a person in "charge" of puppies and can let you know who has or is expecting litters.

They will also let you know what the parents of the pup should be health tested for and how to check on this testing.

I've found the breed clubs very helpful.

Another idea is to look if there is any doggy day care facilities in your area, a new puppy at home alone is not going to be happy.

What will happen if the dog is a barker and barks all day while you are at work?

Is anyone in your town house complex at home during the day that might look after your dog for a small fee whilst you are at work?

Will you be able to take time of work when you bring the new puppy home?

Friends of mine brought a Labrador puppy and I minded her along with my four dogs three days a week. The bit of extra money was good for me and the puppy was happy to not be left alone.

Will you have time to go for a walk before and after work to try and wear the puppy out so they will sleep.

Sorry if I come across as negative but my parents live in a town house with a front and back yard. A few people in there complex of 17 have dogs and they are not aloud to bark at all.Plus they can never be in the common area unless on a lead, what are the rules where you are?

Mini schnauzers are people dogs and very intelligent, they love company and using their brain - mine to obedience, showing, agility and tracking, they are not a good breed to leave at home all day, they can learn to cope with part time workers but full time gives them to much opportunity to destroy your house from boredom. They may also become barkers and cause a problem with your neighbours.

How do you intend to house train and feed a young puppy 4 meals a day?

I would suggest looking at an older dog in a more calm breed.