Vomiting

My GSP loves to chew on twigs, sticks etc but this evening has vomited up a lovely present on our rug! :shrug: Its full of little bits of stringy twigs (plus a bit of apple (no core) from this morning). Obviously he has been a bit too indulgent in the garden and got rid of the offending vegetation.

He doesn't appear to be at all unwell and he's as happy as usual, had a couple of poo's during the day, normal and no problem there. What do I do about his tea tonight and/or breakfast tomorrow morning? I've removed his dinner for the moment. do I not give him anything to eat tonight?

Never had this problem before so not sure what to do.

Edited by fiveplusone

Ermmm.. he should not have vomited up apple bits from this morning - things don't usually stay in the actual stomach that long .

As the vomiting doesn't appear to be caused by illness,by all means offer him some food - perhaps half of normal ....and see if it stays down.

I am hoping that your boy has got rid of all the junk in his system....but i remember when my Hamlet had a blockage of twigs/leaves in his intestine, vomiting was the first symptom .. the following morning. he then had foul ,sparse diarrhoea ...then he was at the vets!

Is there no way you can keep him away from teh twigs, etc ? A run or something? Eating twigs can cause injuries to mouth, oesophagus/gut, as well as blockages .....

Hoping that he is fine now, and is bouncing around tomorrow :shrug:

He had another vomit in the early hours this morning. Just fluid (he didn't eat anything last night). He is still very happy and normal bouncy puppy. He had a little plain rice a while ago but now he has brought it back up again so he's off to the vets but can't get in until later this afternoon. I've cleared up the garden so no more twigs and leaves. My OH said the tree in question is a native ficus (he thinks). I've googled but the only one that comes up as toxic is weeping fig and it definately isn't one of them.

I'm hoping he's just been a bit over indulgent with the twigs etc. He doesn't appear to be in any pain, can touch his tummy without problem and he seems like his normal self. Poo was normal this morning too.

Is there anything I'm missing?????

Toxicity doesn't enter into the equation if a stick is stuck, or has cut/grazed the gut lining.... remember too, that sticks & leaves in the gut will probably NOT show on a normal Xray - Barium balls or meal is the way to go if needed :D

*fingers crossed all is ok this afternoon*

How did he go at the vet this afternoon?

It appears he has just over indulged in the twig and leaf eating. Tummy not sore and no sign of obstruction (thank goodness!) . He's happy and bouncing around as usual. Vet gave him a shot of antibiotic and anti nausea medication. He did a huge vomit when we got home of a mass of leaves! He is to have nothing to eat tonight and then start small frequent meals of chicken and rice from tomorrow morning. Garden has now had a huge clean out but he was still trying to get the stuff off me while I was trying to put it in the bin, naughty boy.

no sign of obstruction (thank goodness!)

So the barium went thru ok ? That's good news!

Hope all is well!!

what does he have in the way of chew toys/entertainment out in the yard? Obviously the leaves etc are some way very entertaining!

does he have longish grass he can chew/eat?

Perhaps he would enjoy screwed up newspaper in cardboard boxes? he could rip it up !

Kongs, bones?

His is a potentially dangerous occupation :confused:

no sign of obstruction (thank goodness!)

So the barium went thru ok ? That's good news!

Hope all is well!!

what does he have in the way of chew toys/entertainment out in the yard? Obviously the leaves etc are some way very entertaining!

does he have longish grass he can chew/eat?

Perhaps he would enjoy screwed up newspaper in cardboard boxes? he could rip it up !

Kongs, bones?

His is a potentially dangerous occupation :laugh:

He is great this morning. No more vomits overnight and so far has kept down a very small breakfast of chicken and rice.

He has lots of chew toys (It's taken me a while to find brands that he can't destroy in 5 minutes but now we have thats all we buy for him! LOL) and he spends the majority of his time inside with us. When he's outside on his own (if I am going out for more than half hour or so) then I leave him with a nice meaty bone which usually keeps him happy for a couple of hours.

For some reason he has just always enjoyed leaves and twigs etc but this time he went silly :-( we will now be making sure that any trimmings from the trees go straight into the bin!

Edited by fiveplusone

I am so glad he's ok - I've been following this thread because I felt so bad for the poor boy. We're having some good success with the Aussie Dog "Tucker Ball" which rolls and dispenses kibble gradually. I don't think our dog can destroy it because it's too big for him to actually bite.