Accidently Left Some Food In Fridge

VJB

I am worried about some 'chunkers' that I bought for Heidi to use as training treats. Having never bought them before, I thought they smelled a bit strange. Used them for a day or so, then bought another brand and the yucky ones made their way towards the back of the fridge.

Hubby didn't know this, as it is usually me that feeds the dog. As I was out today, he fed the off ones to the dog, about 10 of them, with her dry food.

Do you think she will be ok, or am I expected to have any effects from this. I've since thrown them out,,, but am worried....

I have had chunkers sit in the fridge for over a week and then fed them without any side affects

This makes me feel a bit better thanks. Does anyone know how long it would take to be affected?

Guest Clover

They always smell funny after opening, hence why i dont buy them anymore unless I am going to use them all at once.

Dogs eat some pretty foul things, so i dont see it being a problem.

Thank you. They had been opened for about a week I guess. No ill effects so far..... I just got worried... things always go wrong for me in the middle of the night,,, when I have to tend to emergencies.

They do smell funny- I think it's the egg product in them.

It's dependent on the use-by and how long they've been opened of course.

They do smell a bit odd, but they smell a LOT better when you warm them up.

If they've only been opened for a week and refridgerated they should be okay. If they were THAT bad your hubby would have definitely smelt it :confused:

VJB - Sparky and Gem dug up what we're now pretty sure was a body bag, buried in their backyard atleast a year ago, before Ian moved in. They ate the contents :eek: (RIP Kitty (?) ) Probably being kept in the plastic bag had prevented whatever was in there, from decomposing.

Anyways, both had a bit of a spew the next day and threw up the foulest smelling stuff I've smelt in a long time, consisting of some sort of skin tissue, fur etc. Other than the spew though, both were completely fine!!! So after seeing that, I've decided not to worry about feeding meat that might smell a bit suss!!

Edited by stormie

VJB - Sparky and Gem dug up what we're now pretty sure was a body bag, buried in their backyard atleast a year ago, before Ian moved in. They ate the contents :eek: (RIP Kitty (?) ) Probably being kept in the plastic bag had prevented whatever was in there, from decomposing.

Anyways, both had a bit of a spew the next day and threw up the foulest smelling stuff I've smelt in a long time, consisting of some sort of skin tissue, fur etc. Other than the spew though, both were completely fine!!! So after seeing that, I've decided not to worry about feeding meat that might smell a bit suss!!

Oh. The way you described that was so evocative ... I am turning green just thinking about it. :eek:

Chunkers does smell kind of weird.. almost gassy? I think it's the egg/parsley in it!

If it were one of my dogs, I wouldn't be too worried.. dogs digestive systems are designed to deal with all sorts of nasty things. The worst she'll do is vomit it up or maybe have a bit of diarrhea if the chunkers were really badly off? I wouldn't even expect that though.. I'm sure she'll be fine :eek:.