Artificial Grass

whiskedaway

Hi, I "had" artificial grass - yes the advertising said they can't dig it up, can't chew through it - it was all fine for 6 months, then one day, when I got home from work, there it was, shredded, dragged across the yard etc etc. I nearly cried. Thankfully I only had it laid in one section of my yard where the grass didn't grow. I think the product is great and I was thinking of having it put down over the whole yard. I'm so pleased I didn't go to that expense and have it all ripped up. As it is, it cost me $2600 and it is now worthless. The installers have changed their advertising to not guarantee that it can't be ripped up!! If you have a digger (like I do) then I would really think about this.

And I forgot again to add, that I had it professionally laid, like others in this thread. The amount of work that goes into preparing the surface before they lay the product is amazing. Crushed granite and sand, then compact it down, and this was done several times. They also spread several tonnes of sand and rubber granules over the product (which is raked in) to keep the grass standing up and also to hold it down (as well as the glue and huge nails that they use at the edges). I'm amazed that my dogs could dig it up as it is really heavy (I have a rottiexdobe and a dobexkelpie). There is still one small section that is ok and I lovingly look at it and just wish .....

We've been thinking of doing this too, it looks like a fair amount of mixed reviews. We only have one sheltie pup BUT she definitely likes to dig... I'd be really peeved to spend several thousand dollars only for it to be destroyed 6 months later. Surely you have some comeback on the company Adnil. Surely it has some sort of warranty. :o

We've been thinking of doing this too, it looks like a fair amount of mixed reviews. We only have one sheltie pup BUT she definitely likes to dig... I'd be really peeved to spend several thousand dollars only for it to be destroyed 6 months later. Surely you have some comeback on the company Adnil. Surely it has some sort of warranty. :)

Hi, I did get them out several times to fix it, and they did, without any cost, but it got to a stage where they couldn't fix it, it was shredded and ripped, unless they dug it up again completely and started from scratch. They were in my opinion very good about it, but they now realise that it can be dug up and ripped etc, even though it comes with a 20yr warranty. I put it down to bad luck/experience. Perhaps if the dogs were older and more settled. I still love the product and think it looks great and was easy to look after - for those first 6 months anyway.

• 11 months later...

we have 2 golden retrievers (3 and 1 years) they seem to love digging and no matter how many times we fill in the holes they dig the same spots over and over. we are geting a quote for some artificial grass tomorrow but will be bringing up all of these points and wanting the answers in writing.

I have read in many books and online that it's the smell of the fresh dirt that is intoxicating to dogs, has anyone else had the same experience? Our dogs only dig in the spots that have had the earth dug up repeatedly?

I am sick of looking into our back yard and seeing the carnage of holes and if I walk in it, I risk a broken ankle...it's driving us crazy hence why we are looking into artificial grass. If it's just the earth they find intoxicating....could laying a whole new real turf lawn be ok too????

does anyone have any suggestions/advice??

thanks

Sera

Wow old thread :laugh:

Have you tried giving your dogs a designated place to let their digging out.

A clam shell pool full of sand.

You can bury a few yummy treats eg pigs ears in there to encourage them to dig in there rather than the garden :)

Ref: clam of sand.....been there done that, didn't really stop the digging on the lawn. Thanks for the reply!

We had ours put down in October. There is a small hole in it where the puppy dug at it. The company would not fix it and said that it's not dog-proof. We have a small "plug" of fake grass in the hole now, so thankfully you can't see the hole. We were just lucky we had off-cuts.

We have it in both the front and backyards we only have two small dogs that are on the artificial turf. We love it and as my dog suffers from allergies from grasses his flare ups have now ceased. It does get hot under foot in summer but well worth it. No maintence of mowing ours has perforated holes that the pee and water just soak through.

I have a very small area about 3x3 meters for my pups toilet area because we don't have grass. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to clean it. I have been hosing it down and mixing spa chlorine and hot water to put on it, but then I can't let Olive get near it for a while. Any better suggestions?

I have a very small area about 3x3 meters for my pups toilet area because we don't have grass. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to clean it. I have been hosing it down and mixing spa chlorine and hot water to put on it, but then I can't let Olive get near it for a while. Any better suggestions?

I use Exit Odour I find it works really well. Just mix a small amount in a bucket of water or watering can & splash it around or you can scrub with a broom if need be. No more smells.

A bottle lasts forever as you only need a small amount. I buy it online, Catonam products. I think it is. I also put it in the final rinse when washing anything belonging to my 2 furry kids.

Also when i am mopping the house I will put a dribble in the mop bucket. Hope it helps. :)

Edited by BC Crazy

thanks for your replies, had a quote for the good turf this week and for our 88 m2 patch they have quoted almost $9K plus there would be additional charges in order to get the drainage we want.

Unfortunately this option is proving too expensive for us at the moment so we are back to square one with a sad looking backyard.

bummer :-(

There are a number of native grasses,ground covers,and even herbs that can be used instead of lawn grass and can still be mown.They also need less water.Look in the library for a book called;The wild lawn handbook,or something similar.Google

Lawn alternatives for more ideas.

• 6 years later...
On 8/17/2010 at 11:08 PM, Jenni87 said:

Hi there,

We put down our fake turf last year and I loooooove it!! We have a Golden Retriever (almost one year) and friends often bring their dogs over for a play (GSD and another Goldy majority of time) and it has survived her puppyhood and their playing.

Cleaning it is easy, and never had stains for number 1's or 2's. In Summer the only time I noticed it hot was when we had that week of 40-43 but then everything was hot. We also have a market umbrella that we put over Ellas clam pool but otherwise been fine with it.

We also got the more premium range so not sure if that makes a difference (was on clearance - bargain!). It also came with like a 10 year fade/tear/etc resistant warranty but its been down for over a year now and no problems or anything with it!

Plus people always comment on how lovely our lawn is and its not until they are right in front of it they ask if its real or not.

I know this is a REALLY old thread but I was hoping that I could get an update on how the grass help up with your Golden? Was he able to dig through it? Our 1 year old Golden likes to dig a little and this is one of my concerns with going artificial.

Cheers.

• 3 weeks later...

We have 3 golden retrievers and they all love the fake grass we install in our yard.

I often introduce our clients to buy grass from these suppliers because of their good price and quality:

http://www.ezartificialgrass.com.au/
http://www.termiturf.com.au/
http://www.viciouskitten.com.au/

https://artificialgrassland.com.au/

Edited by Dog_Trainer