Beardie Scratching At Door. Hight Stress Level!

Roger00713

Hi.

Recently my wife and I have moved into our new home. For the first 3 months we kept our 2 Bearded Collies inside whilst we were home and at my brother in laws outside whilst we were at work. During this time we worked very hard to create a safe and clean environment in our backyard.

As you can imagine having 2 beardies inside all the time created much stress and i was very much so looking forward to the day when we put them in our backyard.

When that day came i discovered 2 things. The first thing being that Mylie who is 9 months old enjoys digging the grass. I quickly put a stop to that as she is a fairly obedient dog otherwise.

The other thing i found is that Mishka, 4 1/2 years old enjoys scratching at the glass door. We leave the rear garage roller door open for them as well so they have some shade and shelter. She also scratches at the internal garage door which she has now created a hole right through which i have had to patch up.

When she can see us in the kitchen she sometimes scratches at glass door but the biggest problem is that we have a train line close by and when the train toots is horn she freaks out and scratches uncontrollably. She isn't fazed by the trains that don't toot. She has always been an anxious dog and scratched at the door at our old house. She has even been on anti anxiety medication to help with the move but we have since taken her off that. Even on the medication she still scratched when the train tooted. She loves the back yard and seems to really enjoy herself out there running around with the other dog but she completely different when the train goes past.

Can anyone recommend something to acclimatize her to the sound of the trains and also a way to stop her scratching at the doors in general. I would love to replace the garage door but obviously there is no point whilst she is still scratching.

I have already tried attaching balloons to the door as i knew that if she popped one it would give her a fright but the 2 days i did that i came home and she had sticky tape stuck to her so it obviously didn't work.

Any help would be very much appreciated as i love my dogs and want to work out a way that we can all live happily together. Current stress levels are still very high.

Thanks in advance.

Paul

Edited by Roger00713

Hi - if you have an axious dog who requires medication, and is constantly in a situation which is causing her stress ..and with owners pulling their heair out... you possibly need some good professional help :thumbsup:

may I suggest you call these folks ...

LINK

veterinary behaviourist- who can prescribe medication if required

..putting balloons on the door to frighten an already anxious dog is not a really helpful thing.....

Why cant they come inside when you are home??

We back onto a train line and some of the fosters or visiting dogs have been startled when the train toots. Can your dogs see the train and know exactly what makes the noise?? One of my more nervous fosters was on the overhead walkway at the station and the train tooted and he nearly jumped out of his skin. He looked over the side and saw what made the noise and was fine from then on. If your dogs can see what makes the noise maybe take them down to the station for short bursts??

Hi.

Recently my wife and I have moved into our new home. For the first 3 months we kept our 2 Bearded Collies inside whilst we were home and at my brother in laws outside whilst we were at work. During this time we worked very hard to create a safe and clean environment in our backyard.

As you can imagine having 2 beardies inside all the time created much stress and i was very much so looking forward to the day when we put them in our backyard.

When that day came i discovered 2 things. The first thing being that Mylie who is 9 months old enjoys digging the grass. I quickly put a stop to that as she is a fairly obedient dog otherwise.

The other thing i found is that Mishka, 4 1/2 years old enjoys scratching at the glass door. We leave the rear garage roller door open for them as well so they have some shade and shelter. She also scratches at the internal garage door which she has now created a hole right through which i have had to patch up.

When she can see us in the kitchen she sometimes scratches at glass door but the biggest problem is that we have a train line close by and when the train toots is horn she freaks out and scratches uncontrollably. She isn't fazed by the trains that don't toot. She has always been an anxious dog and scratched at the door at our old house. She has even been on anti anxiety medication to help with the move but we have since taken her off that. Even on the medication she still scratched when the train tooted. She loves the back yard and seems to really enjoy herself out there running around with the other dog but she completely different when the train goes past.

Can anyone recommend something to acclimatize her to the sound of the trains and also a way to stop her scratching at the doors in general. I would love to replace the garage door but obviously there is no point whilst she is still scratching.

I have already tried attaching balloons to the door as i knew that if she popped one it would give her a fright but the 2 days i did that i came home and she had sticky tape stuck to her so it obviously didn't work.

Any help would be very much appreciated as i love my dogs and want to work out a way that we can all live happily together. Current stress levels are still very high.

Thanks in advance.

Paul

actually i can't imagine that would cause me stress :o

Please let the anxious dog inside when trains go past. she needs to feel she is somewhere reasonably safe for her to overcome her fear, and imo, inside is the ideal place for this to happen, possibly making use of a crate. If you can get her to take treats ie she isn;t to scared, then treat her as the noise occurs.

That sounds like a great idea. When we first moved in they used to sit at the door and try and see the train but couldnt see anything. I will start taking them down thereand see if that helps.

Until the weather improves they will have to be either inside dogs or outside dogs. They get too wet and dirty to come inside the house.

Thanks for the advice.

I disgaree with the posts saying let the dog inside when the train goes past - that isn't solving the problem. The dog needs to learn how to cope with the train. You never know what is going to happen inlife and I think we have a responsibility to our dogs to give them the skills to cope with stressful situations. This can be hard, time consuming and costly but it will enhance their lives.

I'd suggest getting a behaviourist in and working on the problem. I have used Erny on this forum (Judi from ProK9) for a very stressed out and fearful dog (she couldn't even go outside the house without having a little breakdown) and now she loves going for walks, to dog school etc. Trains come past us on walks now and she doesn't even notice them.

You mentioned you had a professional at your house to help with the dog/s what did they suggest you do?

Be VERY cautious if you take that anxious dog to see the train ... if it toots or scares her in other ways..., and she bolts/freaks out, you may have more problems :o:cry:

Please do this only after speaking personally with a professional who has worked with your dog .,

Definitely take the advice of a professional (and recommended) behaviourist before it gets out of control. If you took her near a train, it could make it 10 times worse.

Erny on here is a well respected dog trainer, as well as a few others in Vic. If you want to give your general area, we can recommend the one closest to you.

The money you will be paying out for the damage she causes will be far more than a session with a professional.

Not to mention how scared your dog must be.

Sorry, just found your other topic that you were having problems with the same dogs back in May.

Hi.

I am in need of some urgent help with my Bearded Collie.

We have 2 female Beardies. Mishka (4 years old) and Mylie (6 months old).

Mishka was purchase by my wife as a puppy and did puppy school but never really took the training any further. She is a very anxious dog who has been known to jump over 2.4 meter fences at the sound of thunder as well as scratched a hole in our cedar door during another storm.

For the first 2 years Mishka lived with my wife before we were married. Even then she was very anxious but nothing was ever done about it. Due to moving into a rental when we were married we could no longer have Mishka living with us and she stayed at the same house with my brother in law. Beside feed her he never really did much else for her.

My wife would always go around there and walk her most days but she was then sent to the back yard to live.

Over the last 6 months we have spent more time than ever before with her in preparation for her coming to live with us in our new home which was under construction. We also got Mylie who is a perfect dog in almost every way and is very well trained. Still a puppy though. Inside the house they both respect and listen to me.

We moved into our house just over a week ago and have made it a priority to get concrete, fences and grass in the back yard so the dogs can spend the days out there whilst we are at work. This is still about 3 weeks away.

Whilst we are at work they are now having to live in the garage which between us is only 3.5 days.

The first time we left them in there which was only for 2 hours Mishka scratched the architrave and chewed a bit of the door. The second time (a full day) Mishka has ripped the entire door apart. I had never seen anything like it when i came home from work last night. 1 more day in there and she will have worked her way through the entire door.

When we are home she is a very well behaved and is great company.

My concern is that even once we can put them in the backyard they will still scratch at the back door as this is what she did at her old house. When she scratches she does so until she hurts herself.

I know there are training methods to help but they are all long term and i dont know how training is going to help when it when we arent home to train her that is the problem.

Any advice would be very much appreciated as we are at the point were we are thinking that our home might not be the best place for her anymore.

What did the behaviourist recommend back then?

I disgaree with the posts saying let the dog inside when the train goes past - that isn't solving the problem. The dog needs to learn how to cope with the train. You never know what is going to happen inlife and I think we have a responsibility to our dogs to give them the skills to cope with stressful situations. This can be hard, time consuming and costly but it will enhance their lives.

I'd suggest getting a behaviourist in and working on the problem. I have used Erny on this forum (Judi from ProK9) for a very stressed out and fearful dog (she couldn't even go outside the house without having a little breakdown) and now she loves going for walks, to dog school etc. Trains come past us on walks now and she doesn't even notice them.

I don't think it will learn to cope while it is outside totally stressed out.

I wasn't meaning just let the dog inside as a solution, but in the meantime, before consulting a behaviourist, i think it would be only fair to the dog who is obviously stressed....

I agree with Persephone, taking the dog to see the train may totally freak it out and make the phobia even worse, as it will be much louder the closer you get and it is the noise the dog doesn't like.

But agree with others that have suggested consulting a professional.

Both dogs get walked once or twice a day and Mishka is generally a very happy playful dog. You would never know that she is anxious until something happens and she backs away but Mylie will be curious and check it out.

If the trains stopped coming past i would think that she may not show any signs of anxiousness as she loves her new backyard and has a great time with her new frind Mylie.

I will speak to a professional before trying anything.

Thanks to everyone for your help.

I have attached a couple of photos for you.

post-34667-1282172810_thumb.jpg

post-34667-1282172822_thumb.jpg

I would get some tranquil paste from a fodder store or rescue remedy & start her on it a few days beforehand & then put her on a lead & take her to the train station. Then she can see what it is that makes the big scary sound.

I would work up to a couple of times a day for a visit & see if this helps her.

Worth a try & not an expensive matter. May work.

Re the glass, mine do this when they want to come in. Only solution is to stick something over it or learn to like scratched glass.

Both dogs get walked once or twice a day and Mishka is generally a very happy playful dog. You would never know that she is anxious until something happens and she backs away but Mylie will be curious and check it out.

If the trains stopped coming past i would think that she may not show any signs of anxiousness as she loves her new backyard and has a great time with her new frind Mylie.

I will speak to a professional before trying anything.

Thanks to everyone for your help.

I have attached a couple of photos for you.

very cute! In the first one she looks like she has done soemthing naughty and knows it :cry:

Very well groomed as well :o