Indoor Dog Fencing

thomo84

Hello,

Just wondering if anyone knows of some places and brands of indoor fencing to stop a dog/puppy from going onto the carpet?

We live in a rental property so whatever we use can't be mounted etc. and each gap is perhaps 0.5 - 1m wide.

Thanks

As a cheaper option to proper baby gates, I use the bunnings compost cage pieces as gates inside, taped on one side to wall or frame, so they swing open like little doors.

They are 90cm x 70cm and still keep my 2 x 17 month olds out of rooms I don't want them to get into :D

I used the bunnings compost panels for my house when I needed to block a door way off but they chipped the plaster and wore some of the paint off the door frame where they were bumped :D

I used the bunnings compost panels for my house when I needed to block a door way off but they chipped the plaster and wore some of the paint off the door frame where they were bumped :D

Cut a piece of hose and split it length wise and place it over the edge of the wire to protect the walls.

Baby gates :D Get them from target when they have a sale, generally happens once every month or two. Sometimes you can even pick them up half price :)

The metal ones with the extenders and the springs are good as they close automatically. They are anywhere from $60-$90 (less on special)

Otherwise the sliding wooden ones are MUCH cheaper at around $20. You can't open them so they need either removing (easy, you just pull it out) or stepping over when you want to go through.

We have both.

I have the baby gates as well as some fencing made from a puppy pen that is on loan, if I seperate the panels into sets of 3 panels, and zig zag them a little, they are self supporting.

Just be aware that the dogs can and will get over anything, or even through a bit of a fence by just pushing it. Any gate is only a reminder of the barrier that you are imposing as the "pack leader", so you need to be very firm with your training. Work on your wait command so the dog doesn't burst through on you into the wrong area of the house. Make sure you also establish a base area that you can send the dog to when you need it, eg: mine have a bean bag, and as soon as I say bean bag, they stay there. You can use a mat or bed or crate too. Mine will always return to their safe place as soon as they are told! You can then reward the pup for doing the right thing instead of fuming when they get onto the carpet. My dogs know that if they break through the gates they have done the wrong thing, but sometimes, they can't help themselves, eg: when daddy gets home and spends 30 minutes on the wrong side of the gate without acknowledging them....(time to train daddy). I know that they know, I don't even have to say anything, after they get a pat from daddy, they sidle back to the bean bag a little sheepishly.

Guest RANDCMOORE31

I use baby gates - you can get them in all heights and lengths - Dealsdirect.com have a pretty good range.

yeah i am going to use the wooden extendable ones as well but i need one for the bottom of a staircase that has a gate so its easier to get up and down the stairs. Bit more expensive though like $100 instead of $20.

yeah i am going to use the wooden extendable ones as well but i need one for the bottom of a staircase that has a gate so its easier to get up and down the stairs. Bit more expensive though like $100 instead of $20.

Keep checking on ebay. We got both of our metal opening gates on ebay for around $30 each. One had a broken catch but we just use a dog collar to keep it closed.

As a cheaper option to proper baby gates, I use the bunnings compost cage pieces as gates inside, taped on one side to wall or frame, so they swing open like little doors.

They are 90cm x 70cm and still keep my 2 x 17 month olds out of rooms I don't want them to get into :champagne:

Yep, we use those too. See below... I cable tied 2 sides together, one is hooked around the shell and the other can be moved like a gate. Very cheap and easily moved. We use them everywhere! :champagne:

post-27684-1282304567_thumb.jpg

See the sad faces in the background?? That's effective locking out! :champagne: :champagne: