Rescue Chookies!

Nekhbet

because more people come in here

At the end of this month, 52,000 highlines are going to be culled for pet food. They are only 18 months old. GCR are trying to find homes for as many of these ladies as possible.

A $10 flat fee applies - for as many chooks as you would like. This is to cover theirr costs of transporting them. Please message us with your details and how many chooks you were wanting to home by the 31st of August. Pick up is from Garfield, Victoria on the 2nd of September. Let’s house as many of these ladies as we can!!!!!

They can be contacted on 5629 1188 between 10am and 5pm Monday to Friday, and 10am - 1pm on Saturdays.

Just to clarify – you are paying a $10 fee (for as many chooks as you want) to cover the costs of them transporting the chickens to Garfield – which is where you pick them up from

Even if you can’t take some chooks, they are desperate for people to transport chooks for them to all areas – some people can take chooks but can’t go and pick them up.

Please check out their facebook page (Gippsland Chook Rescue) or give them a ring.

now go to facebook as I know transport for western suburbs is being arranged, or if more people want then try and get a group together to save more chickens!

Edited by Nekhbet

Guest Pandii

I am looking at getting chooks, but the chook pen is not made yet

Its a shame I would of taken a couple of chooks to save them and have yummy eggs from

Ok i will take 20 (will contact them). We will also put some flyers around town and up at work. I would be happy to take the horse float down and transport if any locals or Canberans would like some?

I'm sure you'd rehome lots in Canberra. We have a few for sale every now and then through where I work and always have people ringing wanting them - many more enquiries than chooks! Could you advertise on Gumtree or similar for interest?

Ok i will take 20 (will contact them). We will also put some flyers around town and up at work. I would be happy to take the horse float down and transport if any locals or Canberans would like some?

Edit: Whoops, forgot to talk to OH.

Edited by SkySoaringMagpie

what exactly would you need to have a chook??

A dog and fox-proof coop with a roost and nesting box, and a nice grassy, weedy safe space for them to scratch around for bugs, worms etc. Fresh water, a shallow container for chook pellets and that's about the basics covered.

You would also need at least 2 chooks, they are social creatures and need company.

This is a good source of info for new chookie owners.

http://www.backyardpoultry.com/

Edited by GayleK

I got my first 6 chookies at a poultry auction last weekend. Our new property has a fabulous setup for a small household flock so I figured it was a shame to waste it.

I am surprised by how much I am enjoying my ladies. I just love them to bits.

My two adult Aussies are a tad too interested in them though, and knocked down part of a fence in order to get a closer look. They didn't even get close but they were pretty determined. Benson just goes crazy when he sees them or sees me in the pen with them, and I would not trust him for a split second with them. Dusty is watchful and alert and has had a good crack at jumping over the fence to get into their pen but she didn't succeed.

Our 4 month old puppy isn't at all interested. He looked at them then found more fun things to do.

Our setup is such that the dogs haven't got much chance of getting near the chooks unless someone leaves a gate open. We're all in the habit of closing the gates though, even pre-chookies.

Just be aware that some of these poor girls are burnt out and some never lay again after their first year. They are genetically programmed to lay most of the eggs they can lay in the first year, that is why they cull them. Some do lay longer, but you won't get a large amounts of eggs. Some also die young, tumours in their reporductive organs are common.

They are great chooks and make good pets so not trying to put anyone off. But you need to realise you may be stuck with a bunch of non layers, just thought people should be informed as this info is going out to a lot of places and I've seen some people think they are getting good layers.

Just be aware that some of these poor girls are burnt out and some never lay again after their first year. They are genetically programmed to lay most of the eggs they can lay in the first year, that is why they cull them. Some do lay longer, but you won't get a large amounts of eggs. Some also die young, tumours in their reporductive organs are common.

They are great chooks and make good pets so not trying to put anyone off. But you need to realise you may be stuck with a bunch of non layers, just thought people should be informed as this info is going out to a lot of places and I've seen some people think they are getting good layers.

My Grandmother rescued 21 from a local battery at one stage. One chook spat out an egg on the 15 min journey home - the rest of them lived long and happy lives and most kept producing for year - more eggs than either she or the family could eat. Maybe not the rule (and im not suggesting it is) for all of them but i know these ladies were very friendly and would follow you round for pats and scratches.

Edit: Whoops, forgot to talk to OH.

:scared:

Many ex battery farm chooks are suitably productive for home use. They need time to settle into normal diet and routine without extra lighting etc, and basic health care like a good worming. Some will go off the lay for a while and them settle into a production. But a few do have long term effects like Jdavis said, and may not live too long.

I've put my hand up for a couple of these girls. I don't mind if they don't lay, or only lay for a short time (my current bantams are part-time layers anyway). We'd been thinking of getting a couple more chooks anyway and I'm just as happy to give these ladies a comfortable retirement as take on a couple of new girls (which I still might do, but don't tell the OH :scared: ).

We rescued 30 chooks from the University here 2 years ago. It was the BEST feeling- (I can totally understand how people get into rescue).

These girls were almost featherless, scruffy, and had no idea what grass was, or how to roost (they couldn't jump onto the 6 inch high roost either). They were let out of their transport cage and one stretched, stopped, looked confused and then tentatively stretched a bit more. She could not believe that she could strech that far. :scold:

They settled in quickly, and soon learned to be chooks. The first day we let them out of their pen to freerange was one of my best memories- they were overcome.

Some are still laying, a few have since died, and desperate foxes broke through wire netting and got a few, but they are so grateful , friendly and happy that the friendship value they give is worth it.

Whatever people can offer them is better than being stuffed 4 to a very small cage where they fight and de -feather each other and themselves. I can't imagine never seeing sun, feeling rain, or the feel of grass beneath my feet- can you?

I hope all these girls get to live the rest of their lives the way they should have lived all their lives. They reward you with devotion and the best tasting eggs you will ever eat- there is no comparison. :scared:

Di

We rescued 30 chooks from the University here 2 years ago. It was the BEST feeling- (I can totally understand how people get into rescue).

These girls were almost featherless, scruffy, and had no idea what grass was, or how to roost (they couldn't jump onto the 6 inch high roost either). They were let out of their transport cage and one stretched, stopped, looked confused and then tentatively stretched a bit more. She could not believe that she could strech that far. :eek:

They settled in quickly, and soon learned to be chooks. The first day we let them out of their pen to freerange was one of my best memories- they were overcome.

Some are still laying, a few have since died, and desperate foxes broke through wire netting and got a few, but they are so grateful , friendly and happy that the friendship value they give is worth it.

Whatever people can offer them is better than being stuffed 4 to a very small cage where they fight and de -feather each other and themselves. I can't imagine never seeing sun, feeling rain, or the feel of grass beneath my feet- can you?

I hope all these girls get to live the rest of their lives the way they should have lived all their lives. They reward you with devotion and the best tasting eggs you will ever eat- there is no comparison. :scared:

Di

:scold::rofl::eek:

Ooh... I might take you up on that... a few people at work have shown interest...

Do you need to pay when you collect them or beforehand?

I am looking at getting chooks, but the chook pen is not made yet

Its a shame I would of taken a couple of chooks to save them and have yummy eggs from

Pandii, there's a lady in Warrnambool who is co-ordinating for the west. You should get in touch with the chook rescue people and get her number. I bet she could help you organise something.