Dslr Cameras

Sankari

I am going to some camera stores tomorrow to check out some DSLRs and being a newbie and never used a DSLR what things should i be asking the camera stores?

I'm after a reasonably beginner friendly camera. I use cameras 90% of the time taking photos of animals - dogs, Rabbits and birds really and nature life. The rest of the time I am taking photos of babies and friends. Last year i got a Compact Canon which my mum is getting when i upgrade :cry:

I am trying to decide between Canon EOS 1000D and Nikon D3000. I rather start off in a lower priced more suited to a beginner like myself and then as i learn and develop i can easily upgrade in a few years time or whatever.

I've been following the other threads, and looking at reviews and am pretty set on these two not really sure how to decide between the two though! :o

Any thing i should ask these people.

ETA: What does it mean when they say Twin lens and others don't say this? Does that mean the others have no lens included at all?

Edited by LucyCharzie

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am going to some camera stores tomorrow to check out some DSLRs and being a newbie and never used a DSLR what things should i be asking the camera stores?

I'm after a reasonably beginner friendly camera. I use cameras 90% of the time taking photos of animals - dogs, Rabbits and birds really and nature life. The rest of the time I am taking photos of babies and friends. Last year i got a Compact Canon which my mum is getting when i upgrade :cry:

I am trying to decide between Canon EOS 1000D and Nikon D3000. I rather start off in a lower priced more suited to a beginner like myself and then as i learn and develop i can easily upgrade in a few years time or whatever.

I've been following the other threads, and looking at reviews and am pretty set on these two not really sure how to decide between the two though! :o

Any thing i should ask these people.

ETA: What does it mean when they say Twin lens and others don't say this? Does that mean the others have no lens included at all?

yes. They are aimed at people just starting out. Some people prefer to just buy the body and then decide for themselves what lens they want.

As to Nikon and Canon both are good it seems. I have Canon and I love it.

A friend bought the Canon 1000D when it first came out and he's really happy with it.

As for the lenses - they're ok for starting out, but as you progress, you tend to buy different "nice" lenses and no longer need the lenses that come with the camera.

They'll be perfect for starting out though :o

Guest belgian.blue

I've just gone through this LucyCharzie.

Ended up with the Canon 55OD and twin lens package. From what I've read and been told over the last few years .. you can't go wrong with Canon and they do have the cheaper priced cameras that still do an amazing job!

Though I have a Pentax K1OOD for sale :cry: Great camera for starting out in the DSLR world.

Happy camera shopping :o

Ended up with the Canon 55OD and twin lens package. From what I've read and been told over the last few years .. you can't go wrong with Canon and they do have the cheaper priced cameras that still do an amazing job!

Though I have a Pentax K1OOD for sale :cry: Great camera for starting out in the DSLR world.

Happy camera shopping :o

Hey BB - Sharon in the Spitz thread has a son looking for a DSLR camera to start out in...two birds so to speak?

Glad you like your new camera :eek:

Guest belgian.blue

Though I have a Pentax K1OOD for sale :) Great camera for starting out in the DSLR world.

Happy camera shopping :laugh:

Hey BB - Sharon in the Spitz thread has a son looking for a DSLR camera to start out in...two birds so to speak?

Glad you like your new camera ;)

Oooh really!? Is her user name Sharon? I'll message her tonight :laugh: Perfect for someone starting out.

Thanks for the help. I'm pretty set on a Canon. Just about to head out to take a look at Teds to decide between the different Canons. I'll definately get a lens package i think, I have no idea what type of lens to get otherwise! :laugh:

I have ALOT of learning to do! Think i might enrol in one of the photography courses when I get my camera :laugh:

Guest belgian.blue
Thanks for the help. I'm pretty set on a Canon. Just about to head out to take a look at Teds to decide between the different Canons. I'll definately get a lens package i think, I have no idea what type of lens to get otherwise! :laugh:

I have ALOT of learning to do! Think i might enrol in one of the photography courses when I get my camera :laugh:

Oooo another Canon user! I'm going to find a photography course in the near future, good way to meet like minded people too.

I found the two lenes I'm getting are basic but both do different things.

In another thread, there seem to be a lot about Canon hehe, kja suggested a great book .. Understanding Exposure I'm going to try and buy it today, get clued up before my camera arrives. Read some reviews online and it sounds perfect for new DSLR users.

Even though I am a Nikon User I would never recommend the D3000 to anyone! Terrible body aimed at someone who wants the "Uncle Bob" effect.

TBH If budget is the issue, go with the Canon, but I'd look at it and see how it feels in your hands.

Nikon D90 is awesome, but might be out of price range.

As for kit lenses... I regret ever buying mine now, but at the start they were fantastic. If you want nature though, you'll need a longer lens (200mm) but if you want friends / kids etc you'll need a wider lens (18mm etc).

I started with the 1000D twin lens kit and love it as an introductory DSLR. It does have its limitations as will any entry level camera, especially in low light, but it's very user friendly and still enables you to take some great photos. If you want to see some photos taken with this camera click on the link to my website - every photo on there was taken with the 1000D and either the kit lenses or the 50mm1.8, except for the ballet shots for which I borrowed a better lens but still used the 1000D. I have no hesitations recommending it, especially above the Nikon you mentioned, and am really glad I bought in to the Canon system. You'll probably want to upgrade the body one day but for the price it's a great place to start. :)

Have you upgraded now Kerri, what have you got?

I took the advice given here and I got the Canon 450D with Twin lens Kit. Knowing what I know now and my budget at the time I would have gone the same way. I am learning heaps (all be it slowly) and I love it.

Thanks to the the lovely photos on here by Kirislin anf others I now have a wish list that makes my hubby cringe.

I have bought the Canon 1000D :)

Ok now what lenses will be good? The camera came with 18-55mm IS kit. The guy at Teds thought it wasnt worth getting the twin kit given most photos are taken of animals! I got him to add the 50mm 1.8 lens, memory card and camera bag and extended warranty for $799.85 I was $299 short so put it on layby til next week :cry:

So which other lenses should i get?

Guest belgian.blue
I have bought the Canon 1000D :laugh:

Ok now what lenses will be good? The camera came with 18-55mm IS kit. The guy at Teds thought it wasnt worth getting the twin kit given most photos are taken of animals! I got him to add the 50mm 1.8 lens, memory card and camera bag and extended warranty for $799.85 I was $299 short so put it on layby til next week :laugh:

So which other lenses should i get?

Congrats!!

How much was the 50mm 1.8 lens? This is the lens I really want to add shortly.

The 50mm 1.8 lens was $149 but they price matched from another store who had it for $127 :laugh:

For the moment i'll stick with these couple then decide what else i want! I so cant wait to get it!

Edited by LucyCharzie

Guest belgian.blue
The 50mm 1.8 lens was $149 but they price matched from another store who had it for $127 :laugh:

For the moment i'll stick with these couple then decide what else i want! I so cant wait to get it!

Good price! I'm hoping by Tuesday I can bring mine home.

I went book shopping today but in the stores Understanding Exposure and Understanding Shutter Speed were around $4O each :laugh: Had a flick through and liked what I say so ended up buying them both from The Book Depository for a total of $5O.