Inside Dogs?

Bonnie Pup

My large dogs are inside dogs. They prefer it that way, and to be honest so do I.

I let them outside in the yard a few of times every day for toilet and play time, but I was wondering if they're getting outside enough. They run around for the first 5 minutes, and after not long they sit at the door asking to come in again. They don't have seperation anxiety or anything like that. They don't bark or whine. They just have no interest in being outside. They seem to really prefer to be inside. I prefer them inside too, call me over protective or whatever but that's just the way I am.

Am I doing the wrong thing by letting them come back inside when they want to come in? Should I be forcing them to stay outside for a minimum amount of time each day?

I have to admit we don't go for walks very often :D I would like to, but our area has a very bad stray dog problem. They're often big dogs. I have back problems and I don't feel safe taking them for walks with all the big dogs around the streets.

But I want to do the right thing by my dogs. What should I be doing? We do play fetch outside and inside, but they are also big couch potatos and seem very content to sleep all day. Is it ok to let them sleep all day or should I force them to exercise? :o

The vet said one dog is perfect weight, the other dog could lose 1kg but the vet isn't too worried, she just suggested it.

:laugh:

Edited by Bonnie Pup

Perhaps you could pile the dogs in your car and go to somewhere more dog-friendly? What breeds are they?

Any dog should be walking at least 30mins a day (I say this to myself all the time so I can actually lose some weight!), and it would be a fun activity for you and your dogs instead of being cooped up in the house? I'm sure they would love taking walks with you enjoying the sunshine. :o

My two aren't interested in spending time outside on their own either. They'll stay out there if I'm doing some gardening or hanging out the washing, but otherwise they prefer to be indoors. We have a doggy door but they only use it to go out and toilet and then they come straight back in. Having said that we do walk twice a day.

Have you considered taking the dogs out in the car to a safer spot to walk them? Or driving to a family member/friends house and visiting them and walking the dogs whilst you're there?

Other than that, I wouldn't worry too much. It sounds like they just enjoy being inside. :o When Charlie was a puppy, he stayed at his trainers house for a few days whilst we were on holiday and she said that he didn't seem to know what to do when he went outside, that he should get used to spending more time on his own out there but I've never considered it a problem, it's not like he doesn't ever go outside, he just chooses to spend most of his time inside, and Leah is much the same. :laugh:

As long as the dogs have the option to go out if they want to i dont really see a problem with it, diesel is an inside dog but thats his choice he has a dog door and dose take himself out when he wants to the kids and i are in and out all day and i just let him choose to follow or not, however if he is told to either go out or stay in he still respects my leadership.

.... for as long as they like :laugh:

Mine also just wander in and out at their own leisure. They will sometimes go out to lie in the sun but generally they like to be near me. I walk them everyday too tho.

It's funny because everyone thinks with dogs like mine I would "need" a big yard - but it really makes no difference how big the garden is. They don't do much in it anyway :o

Mine are outside when we are at work but inside when we are home. At weekends they tend to go out and lay in the sun for quite a while and then come inside to cool off. I think they do need to get out of the yard for mental stimulation. You can really notice dogs that come into care that havent been out of their yard and everything is really scary and frightening when they do go out.

If you are not comfortable walking them close to home I would definately be going for a drive, even once a week to the beach or a big park. Make it a nice outing and get yourself a coffee or morning tea and I think your dogs will enjoy the new sights and smells.

I don't see anything wrong with them being inside that much but I would be looking at trying to increase their exercise. Fresh air and sunlight is good for everyone, not to mention exercise. Personally, I believe that regular exercise is just as important for a dog as food and water.

On weekends, weather permitting, I take Orbit to different places for walks. It's fun finding new places, especially when you hit the jackpot and find somewhere awesome, but also walking in different environments is good too, getting out from the usual routine of street walks.

I like mine to be outside for at least 2 to 4 hours a day. That can be us doing outside jobs, going for walks or them chewing their bones or chews out in the dog runs.

If it is really hot or really cold, then they are inside pretty much all day. In summer they sleep out in the dog runs at night as the house gets very stuffy and it is cooler outside.

If I have to go out mine are in the dogs runs. I never leave them locked inside and we don't have dog doors due to snakes liking to get in via dog and cat doors.

Edited by Rommi n Lewis

I would assume dogs need sunlight (like people do) for the Vitamin D (which helps calcium absorption).

Ooops, just saw this was already mentioned. This is correct, dogs need Vit D. Send them outside every day. Fresh air and sunshine will do them some good.

Thanks everyone.

How do you work out the best thing for your dog when they need sunlight and exercise, vs wanting to keep them safe from ticks and snakes?

I'm a nervous wreck when they're outside.

Apart from going outside with them and watching them closely, which can't really be done every day for the length of time they probably should be outside, what else should you do?

The yard is kept as clear as possible, they have tick spot on treatment, but the neighbours yards are a bit of a mess and one neighbour's dog found a snake last summer :thanks:

Edited by Bonnie Pup

We have snakes, but not ticks.

My dog runs and yard have snake mesh around them - not 100% safe but a lot betetr than nothing.

They are only outside running around when I am out there, especially in summer, I keep them much closer to me than during winter/cooler months.

We spend quite a bit of time outside unless it is really hot or cold so the dogs can run around a fair bit. They also have their chews in their dog run where they can chew them lying in the sun but have no worries about anyone stealing anyone elses chew.

We go for lead walks as well usually at least an hour (this is more for me than them!)

They're all good ideas :laugh:

I've thought about mesh around the fences (not to actually trap them but to keep them out.) My concern with that was that if one had got in somewhere (because it can't be perfect especially with gates and things) then it wouldn't have been able to get out.

It sounds like supervised yard time as well as walks in a different area (without as much of a stray dog problem) might be the solution.

:thanks:

Yes their is a risk of them not being able to get out if they get in, however I have only ever had one very small snake in my dog runs (smaller than a pencil) and a midsized on before I fixed the corner it got in by(it was half in and out when I saw it- luckily no dogs were in there).

I have had my dog runs 11 years so even though not one snake would be nicer I guess that isn't too bad.

WHen I had my Dobe she would bark and guard if there was snake anywhere near her run and she was in it. One year was quite bad and I think there were 6 or 8 around the dog runs or between there and the house ( not very far away). 5am Christmas morning was the worst one, especially when it was a 6 foot Dugite!

This year will probably eb bad for TIger Snakes as we have had a wet winter. That means lots of snakes as the Tigers LOVE frogs. It does also mean they generally stay down in the wet areas though and are less likely ot come up to the house looking for a drink.

I am lucky as I live on acerage so every day is offlead, no stray dog time. Makes life much easier than having to try and avoid potential disaster when out walking in populated areas.