Lymphoma?

sandymarj

Hi - My 9y/o Terrier X Jasmine suddenly became ill on Sunday night. Saturday she was running around playing with our other dog, eating normally etc and then Sunday night she didn't eat her dinner, wouldn't get out of her bed and seemed to be breathing heavier than normal.

After a sleepless night, got her to the vet first thing Monday. She ended up running blood tests and doing x-ray and while she didn't find anything conclusive, she believes it may be cancer. She found some lumps (one of which I knew about and had been told previously was nothing to worry about), she had a high temperature, her bile duct was blocked, her white cells affected slightly and her heart showed as being slightly enlarged but no murmur. After discussions vet suggested we take Jasmine home with medications to treat her temperature and clear her bile duct. She said we could have further tests but due to our financial situation and Jasmine's age, she would leave it up to us. We have been through a terrible time of late with both my elderly parents being diagnosed with cancer within 2 weeks of each other and my youngest daughter suffering with extreme anxiety and she is so close to Jasmine. We spent the morning crying thinking we weren't going to be able to bring Jasmine home so it was a great relief when we could. She seemed to pick up slightly as the day went on, ate some chicken for dinner but is still very slow on her feet. After having a search on this site and internet, it sounds a lot like lymphoma could be the culprit but just wonder why nothing showed up in x-ray? any suggestions on how we can best care for Jasmine at home would be most appreciated. I am dreading having to make a decision to have her pts but don't want her to suffer.

I'm sorry to hear you are having such a horrible time :provoke:

Its difficult to know what you can do for your girl if you dont know what you are dealing with. At this point you have no conclusive diagnosis, Jasmine may not have cancer, and as you say during the day she did pick up. Maybe giving the medication she has been given for the bile duct problem a chance to kick in and seeing how she is then could be a good idea.

if it does happen to be the worst case and it is some form of cancer -the treatments vary a great deal depending on which you are dealing with and the prognosis too vary.

I know its easier said than done but try not to panic, see what happens over the next day or two, then decide if you want - or need - to investiage further.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you and Jasmine that its nothing bad.

Thank you for your kind response. Yes we are hoping and praying that Jaz will respond to the medication. The girls said she came to greet them this afternoon when they got home from school. She is just so tired and her breathing is quite heavy at times. Hope for better days ahead.

The dog is only 9 years old - there is plenty you can do for her IF she is dxd with cancer...

Ollie is a Staffordshire Bull Terrier and was dxd with MCT grade 2, no clear margins and on examination of his lymph system (biopsy) the cancer was already systemic... He was given 12 - 18 months... That was 5 years ago in October/November this year.

We treated with chemo but that is expensive (no it does not damage dogs like it does humans - they simply cannot dose dogs like they do people).. He was and is also treated holistically through diet and supplements.

If dxd, the best thing you can do for her is see an holistic vet and at least discuss diet. Remove as many carbs as possible from the diet - so no breads, cereals, rice, pasta flour, corn, grains etc... Fruit and veges are fine - in fact some are so beneficial they help in more ways than just filling them up:) Cook all meat and give yoghurt and other similar things as treats. Vitamin C is a wonderful tonic for cancer dogs and has saved Ollie's life more than once by giving him the boost he needed. Fish oil is another great supplement. We also used Lymphodran and AntiOx as well as some chinese herbs and five mushroom drops.

Don't give up, keep fighting for her and she will fight to stay with you - my boy is living proof of what can be achieved when you don't give up

Thank you so much for your recommendations regarding diet. I have been reading up on benefits of high protein and low carb. Thankfully she has always loved vegetables (unlike little Ellie in my avatar!) so will continue with these and remove the rice & pasta. She has improved a little each day since we started the medication although her breathing still sounds a little labored at times. We won't give up without a fight that's for sure. Am attaching a photo of our beautiful Jasmine.

post-4521-1282714900_thumb.jpg

Both your dogs are beautiful ! I'm glad that Jaz is feeling a bit better, and I hope this continues for her. :provoke:

Fish oil can also be a great addition to a dogs diet (those with cancer and also those that dont have it). If you are interested the dose is 1000 mg per 10kg of dog. I use the normal human consumption ones My massive pug (14kg) gets one on his own and the daughters little 4 kg Chi's get half each when they are.over. They are good for general health and used for dogs with heart troubles by doubling the dose. My avatar girl had cancer and I used this as part of her high fat and protein diet (one in the evening meal, and flaxseed/cottage cheese mixture (Budwig diet) in the morning meal)

Big hug to beautiful Jaz - let us know how she is going....

Thank you so much for your recommendations regarding diet. I have been reading up on benefits of high protein and low carb. Thankfully she has always loved vegetables (unlike little Ellie in my avatar!) so will continue with these and remove the rice & pasta. She has improved a little each day since we started the medication although her breathing still sounds a little labored at times. We won't give up without a fight that's for sure. Am attaching a photo of our beautiful Jasmine.

post-4521-1282714900_thumb.jpg

Ah she is very cute.

Happy to help - that is why we are all here, to share our stories and hopefully help each other.