Worming Tablet Question

ricey

Hi people

reading all the stuff about worming regimens on the BARF thread has stirred my mind from its usual slumber :p .

An acquaintance of mine says he regularly (like every three months :D ) doses himself with enough canine all-wormer (not sure what brand) to treat a 70 kilo dog :rolleyes: .

His theory is that he knows that his dog is wormed regularly, but he comes into contact with lots of other dogs on a daily basis and he has no way of knowing if they are worm free. So he thinks he is keeping himself safe by taking enough all-wormer to treat a 70 kilo dog (he weighs 70 kilos himself).

This is the first time I have heard of someone using canine worming tablets on themselves and I have a couple of concerns about it.

*does anyone know if these all-wormers are toxic to humans?

*as the human digestive system is a lot longer and slower than a dogs, perhaps to dose a human at the same per kilo rate as a dog would be a bit of an overdose for the human?

I'm not a 100% certain that the guy wasn't pulling my leg about de-worming himself, and has anyone else heard of people doing this?

Cheers,

Peter D

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I would probably be doing is comparing active ingredients with human wormers and the concentrations of them, then working out the equivalent dosage to human wormers. If I did it. Might not be a bad idea to investigate.

I agree Anne....Ricey tell him combantrim comes in yummy choccy squares & a paste if he prefers.... Our whole house gets done regularly from hubby down to the cats!Ecept we use the Combantrim the animals get the drontal.

hee hee Id hate to get em mixed up!

Jacqui

Well, I think I will start using Combantrim myself then :D

Why swallow 2 of those monstrous Paratak Plus 35 tablets when you can munch on a chocolate bar instead?

I'll let the bloke who uses canine all-wormers that he is barking up the wrong tree :rolleyes:

Thanks to everyone for their replies.

Peter D

I worm myself once a year and I have a tetanus shot every three to four years.

When I was doing Animal Technology,the vets told us when you work with animals,tetanus should be every 3 to 4 years and every 10 years if you don't work or have animals. :rolleyes:

This thread is very interesting.

My vet does take some types of dog medication himself. Next time I see him, I will ask if he worms himself with the dog wormers.

Hmm, maybe I wont ask him that, it might be a bit rude.

Maybe I will ask him if its ok for people to take them. :rolleyes:

ahhhh dog worm tabs and human they must be different , Never wormed myself only the dogs. every 3 months and the pups monthly with heart worm tabs until they are twelve months then they have heart worm injection once a year.

we camp on the river alot the vet recomended after we get back to worm the dogs all the mossies and and the river water they drink and who knows what they roll in , he said the tabs only work if you have the worms. inother words it kills them , so no use before we go away , may be I should start my self ?

:rolleyes:

When I was doing Animal Technology,the vets told us when you work with animals,tetanus should be every 3 to 4 years and every 10 years if you don't work or have animals.

wow...I didn't know that one. I'm at about 6 years for my tetnus shot. The shelter asked me about it before I started working there, they wont let you if it's over 10 years. Maybe I should get a booster soon since I'm around other peoples (or nobodys) dogs all the time.

Worms are soo conatigious, I worm myself often as I work with so many kids, I am also nit paranoid!!!

I use conbantrim, or theres another one ive used, i just get an easy worm prep for humans for me, and an all wormer for Jinta, plus shes already heart wormed at the vets.

Best to kill em quick. Errrrgkkkky.Yukkk, my mind CANT even GO there....

The dog wormers eg: Drontal, don't hurt us humans, we got a call once from a distressed mother saying her young son had ate all the dogs drontal tablets.

We just had a laugh - they must of tasted awful.

I use combantrum, but only because of my work. When my daughter started kinder I was worried about her getting worms, I asked a chemist and they said not to bother worming unless they actually have them - I gave her a tab anyway.

Hydatid ?

Are you in NZ or Aus.

In NZ all dogs used to be treated for hydatid by the ranger. Hydatid in cattle being a bit of a problem.

Electra woman we never did any worming either unless someone got thread worm which is quite common in primary school.

I'm afraid most of y'all seem to be barking up the wrong tree!

Humans can take pyrantel, the active ingredient in combantrin (and drontal), but the dosage recommendation for human wormers is only enough to kill off human thread worm. I have dealt with this recently as I was concerned about hookworm and I was told that I would have to worm myself with a double dose of combantrin everyday for 3 days every 2 weeks. Basically, unless you did this - your combantrin would do nothing.

However, using it regularly is still a good idea for people who work a lot with kids because lots of kids do get the human thread worm.

The point is that with th exception of hydatids, none of the worms commonly encountered in dogs usually use humans as hosts. Yes, you can get one or two adult worms inside you but generally they won't breed in there and they would die off pretty quickly because they're not adapted to our conditions. Hookworm is the exception but given that most of the hookworm's cycle is spent in the bloodstream - not in the gut - it's really rather pointless worming because no amount of combantrin or any other wormer can kill worms that are present in the bloodstream as it does not cross the barrier from digestive system into the blood. You would have to follow the regime above and I doubt many of us are willing to spend that much money, time and effort on that much combantrin for just a precaution!

Also, praziquantal is the active ingredient in drontal that kills hydatids and tapeworm (which can get inside us) but as it's not in any over the counter human wormers nothing you can buy would touch them anyway. If you knew you had been in contact with hydatids you CAN get praziquantal for humans from the hospital/doctor although I dare say drontal is cheaper. The only real question about the safety of drontal for humans concerns purity of ingredients and manufacturing processes. I personally would be a little concerned about potential toxic trace contamination.

I also don't think I'd enjoy swallowing them!!

If you had concerns about tapeworm or hydatids and you wanted to use dog wormer, you would probably be better getting just a tapewormer - ie Droncit - as the other ingredients in drontal are what make it more expensive and are available in combantrin anyway.

Hope that all makes sense.

iF it was me, I would take Droncit if I thought I had been exposed to tapeworm but I wouldn't take Drontal.