Calling All Whippet Owners, Calling All Whippet Owners

ash&elar

:o well i know this should prob be in the training section but more ppl come here and its more general manners and every day training i am talking about.

Now this dog isnt mine it is my parents and sisters, she is just short of 6months old, I do not know alot about whippets they are not one of my chosen breeds but I am told they can be quiet feline in behaviour as in more likely to listen/do what you want when it suits them/there is something in it for them? Cindy is a real couch potato loooves sleeping all day on the couch or on the ground infront of the window in the sun, my parents own 13acres and we have a yard fenced off for the dogs and kids but now cindy is leaping the fence (its high enough to keep my standard poodle in) and doing as she pleases (incuding chasing the sheep now and cats) other than the sheep she is behaved when outside, but when trying to recall her or train her at all she will pretty much run the other way!!!! when inside someone (it doesnt matter who) will say sit cindy and she will quickly walk from the room!!! we have tried good treats like cooked chic for rewards and heaps of praise, the recall is better but you have to use a really high pitched squeeky vioce and act like a fool (not so bad on 13acres but wouldnt look forward to doing it in public) and it will work if she thinks it is in her favour to come to you (like you are at the front or back door).

I am just wondering what has worked for any of you who have owned or trained a whippet???

The best way to train a whippet is with positive reinforcement and upbeat short sessions. My whippet and many others I know will shut down and/or attempt to leave if their owner/trainer is getting stressed (voice or body language).

:confused: well i know this should prob be in the training section but more ppl come here and its more general manners and every day training i am talking about.

Now this dog isnt mine it is my parents and sisters, she is just short of 6months old, I do not know alot about whippets they are not one of my chosen breeds but I am told they can be quiet feline in behaviour as in more likely to listen/do what you want when it suits them/there is something in it for them? Cindy is a real couch potato loooves sleeping all day on the couch or on the ground infront of the window in the sun, my parents own 13acres and we have a yard fenced off for the dogs and kids but now cindy is leaping the fence (its high enough to keep my standard poodle in) and doing as she pleases (incuding chasing the sheep now and cats) other than the sheep she is behaved when outside, but when trying to recall her or train her at all she will pretty much run the other way!!!! when inside someone (it doesnt matter who) will say sit cindy and she will quickly walk from the room!!! we have tried good treats like cooked chic for rewards and heaps of praise, the recall is better but you have to use a really high pitched squeeky vioce and act like a fool (not so bad on 13acres but wouldnt look forward to doing it in public) and it will work if she thinks it is in her favour to come to you (like you are at the front or back door).

I am just wondering what has worked for any of you who have owned or trained a whippet???

I have trained my Whippet to recall to a sports whistle. From puppyhood he has been rewarded each and every time he comes. I'd still not guarantee I could recall him off a rabbit but he comes back pretty quickly after a chase.

Your parents dog needs higher fencing, or a safe roofed run. Fence jumping is self rewarding behaviour that's damn difficult to cure so prevention is the best course of action. Recalling a sighthound in prey drive is a real test and my best advice is to prevent the stock chasing completely.

This pup would no doubt benefit from regular obedience classes at a club or school that uses positive motivational methods. She sounds a little bored. Whippets don't do well with heavy handed, aversive training methods. They simply stop trying and/or bugger off. Tick the "whats in it for me" box and they tend to be more cooperative. They are not untrainable dogs. You just have to park your ego and make it fun and rewarding for them. If carrying on like a pork chop in public is what it takes then that's what Whippeteers do. However I'd not be letting a Whippet offlead in many public places. My boy goes offlead at the club and in the bush - that's it.

Howard knows sit, down, wait and walk on a loose lead. He is now in his third level of agility training. He will train for food and toy rewards and I use both. He trains offlead amongst other dogs, some of whom do the odd zoomie. It can be done.

Edited by poodlefan

:confused: well i know this should prob be in the training section but more ppl come here and its more general manners and every day training i am talking about.

Get a copy of Leslie Nelson's 'Realy Reliable Recall' DVD. She has/trains Afghan Hounds and other sight hounds.

My whippets were only trained in the last year to come to the whistle (sports). They're pretty good now although if something really gets them excited it's hard to call them off.

Here they are coming to the whistle up at the off lead park.

4576432021_0e9cb4fc12_z.jpg

My whippets were only trained in the last year to come to the whistle (sports). They're pretty good now although if something really gets them excited it's hard to call them off.

Here they are coming to the whistle up at the off lead park.

4576432021_0e9cb4fc12_z.jpg

awwww love the pic!!! me thinks i'll be telling them to get a whistle then.

I treated mine with cheese when I trained them to the whistle. You have to find something the dog really loves and every time you blow that whistle, she gets a yummy, every single time.

I now have to avoid sports days though because every time the umpire blows the whistle my dogs expect a treat, and I have to give it to them or they'll start to ignore my whistle. :laugh:

I treated mine with cheese when I trained them to the whistle. You have to find something the dog really loves and every time you blow that whistle, she gets a yummy, every single time.

I now have to avoid sports days though because every time the umpire blows the whistle my dogs expect a treat, and I have to give it to them or they'll start to ignore my whistle. :laugh:

Yep. No matter who I'm calling with the whistle, every dog is treated when it is blown. Every time.

Yep. No matter who I'm calling with the whistle, every dog is treated when it is blown. Every time.

Yep, same here. There's even another lady at the park who started using it after seeing the success I had with mine, now everytime she blows her whistle, I have to treat mine. It has it's drawbacks like that but it's still worth it to get such good recall now.

My Whippets love the squeaker that they ripped out of a toy, so it's in my pocket usually. If they are in the yard barking at a bird, they still run for the squeaker.

As someone else said, whippets can climb and jump. Tall fences are a must, preferably solid so they can't see the prey on the other side.