Human Contraception

Asalei

So, I don't suppose anyone has had experience with their entire bitch eating their 2/3 full pill sheet per chance? :laugh:

I can't definitely be sure it was her, but the older two don't really chew things up like she does. I've found 1/3 of the packet and about 10 or so tablets.. I'm missing about probably about 8 white tablets and the 7 sugar ones.

Has this happened to anyone who has an entire bitch? What happened?

:laugh:

I will be very sad if it brings her into season. She's just over 9 months old and hasn't had a season yet. We are heading to Melbourne in September for the specialties and I was hoping she would wait until after then to have her first!

6. Birth control (e.g. estrogen, estradiol, progesterone)

Birth control pills often come in packages that dogs find irresistible. Thankfully, small ingestions of these medications typically do not cause trouble. However, large ingestions of estrogen and estradiol can cause bone marrow suppression, particularly in birds. Additionally, female pets that are intact (not spayed), are at an increased risk of side effects from estrogen poisoning.

Read more: http://www.disabled-world.com/disability/s...p#ixzz0xnGd007W

I don't know what constitutes "large ingestions" in this instance. Perhaps you've already checked that out?

I've phoned a vet and she's advised that in desexed animals, it's never caused any harm. She said that in an entire bitch, it may bring her into season or cause her mammory glands to increase.

I'm also concerned about the fact she may have swallowed part of the packet. The bits I picked up off the lounge were quite sharp.

I've been watching her closely. One of them has opened the gate to our room and I usually just leave my pill on my bedside table. Obviously who ever has thought it was good and decided to steal it off the table.

The gate has been on our room for nearly 4 years and they've never been interested in it. Our room used to be the solace for our cat and it was where she got fed and a place where she didn't have to have the puppies near her. Unfortunately we had to have our cat put to sleep last Sunday and the only thing I can think if is they are looking for her?

Crossing my fingers very tight that it has no effect at all. We are going to the Victorian beagle specialties in September and I was desperately praying she would hold off until after that for her first season.

Edited by ~Erin~

Yep, a foster dog (male) ate a bunch of pills.

What happened? Well he didn't get preggers that's for sure!

I rang emergency and they said to bring him in and make him puke, I said what would the pills do to him and they admitted nothing so I didn't take him in.

Not sure what it would do to a bitch though.

Edited by sas

I looked at the bit of the packet I found again and it is actually more like 2/3's of the sheet. The bit that's missing is the sugar tablets. I'm thinking if anything, there's around 6 white tablets missing. They could be anywhere, on the ground outside, under the lounge.

Fingers crossed!

I'll update this thread in a few days to see what's happened.

I'm in two minds about it being that easy to bring a bitch into season.. If it is, I would have thought it would be a more common thing? Yes, it's not really a good way to do it.. but anyway.

I know there can be some alarming side effects for female dogs that come into contact with hormone creams and patches so would imagine the pills might do the same thing. Saw something on it recently, especially with owners using the creams and the dog coming into contact with the owners skin. I can't remember all the side effects but a hugely enlarged vulva was the main indicator to the problem.

Thanks KZ's Mum. Luckily I had another packet in the draw!

She's been fine today, nothing happening yet.

A friend said that their dog did this and she didn't come into season. So there's still hope!

Lordy, if it works please let me know, I have a bitch here I would love to bring into season! LOL

I am sure she will be fine. She would need more than one hit (albeit big) of hormones to bring a season on I am sure.

Our doglet ate about half a packet (after chewing the zip out of a closed suitcase then removing and destroying my toilet bag). She was only ~6 months and the vet said she would be fine, maybe just a little nauseous. I hope your little one is ok!

Oakway - that's what I thought, because after all.. isn't a pill used in humans to stop ovulation??

I'm only going by what the vet suggested. They are the ones that said it may bring her into season. But, like I said.. wouldn't that then be too easy for people to use to bring a bitch into season?

Anyway, she seems fine. Nothing has happened yet. She's been more annoying than usual today, but I think that was from over stimulation and food smells at my grandmothers 90th birthday. Too many people to get pats from!

She's a very exhausted little girl, but not really any different to normal. I just went and did a poo patrol and I found another 3 white tablets and two sugar. So if anything, she's had more sugar ones than white ones. Hrm.. which could explain the way she was today! hah.

Oakway - that's what I thought, because after all.. isn't a pill used in humans to stop ovulation??

I'm only going by what the vet suggested. They are the ones that said it may bring her into season. But, like I said.. wouldn't that then be too easy for people to use to bring a bitch into season?

Anyway, she seems fine. Nothing has happened yet. She's been more annoying than usual today, but I think that was from over stimulation and food smells at my grandmothers 90th birthday. Too many people to get pats from!

She's a very exhausted little girl, but not really any different to normal. I just went and did a poo patrol and I found another 3 white tablets and two sugar. So if anything, she's had more sugar ones than white ones. Hrm.. which could explain the way she was today! hah.

Oh well I thought the same as you to.

Thanks for letting me know about it.

Now, NO sugar highs before the speciality. :)

Hope you do well.

• 3 weeks later...

I know of a couple of greyhound trainers who use human combined oral contraceptives to stop their bitches from coming into season, none ever mentioned a risk of too many causing a dog to come into season. Although admittedly, I doubt any have ever risked feeding several at once to see what happens ;)

I'd be asking the vet to explain that, regardless. If a human takes more than the recommended dose, ovulation doesn't occur, usually just cramps and some bleeding (which if it happened in dogs I suppose that could look like oestrous?).