Choker Chain Help Please

There is a guy at our obedience class that needs a choker chain 55 cm long but with heavy links . I said I would have ask/look on line as he has no computer.

He has been to the local pet shop...they only have a light-medium link in this size (55cm) and the links that are heavy only come with a 65cm chain.

Can anyone of you suggest a supplier that will stock this size?

Do you mean the fur saver type? The vans at Durack usually sell them.

I checked out those fur saver types on http://www.thefind.com/pets/info-fur-saver-dog-collar and I don't think it is what he wants Kathq, (thank you :) ) I think he just wants a 20" (55cm) choker with heavier links.

I checked out the Kramer site but got a bit confuse in finding them, I'll give it another go :D

It seems that one can buy heavy chains in a longer chain but not in the shorter length....perhaps some chopping is in order! :thumbsup:

The only chains I will use are Herm Sprenger. Going by my old stock list, they have 55cm chains in Light; Med.G; M/H; H/vy; and X/H.

Why does your friend want heavy?

Many people want the thicker ones for strength and to a degree, the bigger links would probably prove to be a bit stronger than their lighter versions, however when I choose a check chain weight, it is relevant to how sensitive the dog is. The finer the chain, the sharper the correction. If the dog is reasonably responsive, I don't go for a fine chain - I'll go for a M/H chain. If the dog is so strong as to a tendency to ignore the correction, then it is potentially the wrong training device/restraint for the dog.

Anyway ..... I may be able to get one in for you, but by the time the item cost, postage and then shipping to you is added, it might prove to be more expensive than is worth. I don't stock the chains myself, but the kennels where I run classes supply them. They tend to stock the light; medium; and medium/heavy chains, as they are the most common. They were out of 55's the other day and I know there is an order pending already. Not sure the price to get just one in. But I could try, if your friend is really stuck.

ETA: These chains DO NOT work as "chokers" (contrary to label indication) - they work as 'checks' or 'correctional' tools. Think of them as "chokers" and that's how people will (consciously or sub-consciously) use them. Think of them as "correction chains" or "check chains" and again, that is how people are more likely to use them.

Edited by Erny

Thanks heaps for the answers peoples, I will print out the posts and give him the info...the link to PetsPantry is really good and the info about different check chains will be useful for him Erny.

The dog is a Cattle Dog x, the dog's owner is hard of hearing, is shy of praising his dog (our instructor shouts out to him YOU CAN PRAISE YOUR DOG NOW, WE WILL WAIT UNTIL YOU PRAISE HIM :confused: ) the dog is brighter than he is so he has trouble checking him as the medium chain does dig into the dog's neck and is also too long, the problem seems to be he won't 'check and release'

That is why a (perhaps) heavier chain may do the trick.

Next task is to find some second-hand agility equipment...hummmm, might be a bit of a long-shot I reckon

Edited by Boronia

Poor dog! Wouldn't a martingale be better?

Thanks heaps for the answers peoples, I will print out the posts and give him the info...the link to PetsPantry is really good and the info about different check chains will be useful for him Erny.

The dog is a Cattle Dog x, the dog's owner is hard of hearing, is shy of praising his dog (our instructor shouts out to him YOU CAN PRAISE YOUR DOG NOW, WE WILL WAIT UNTIL YOU PRAISE HIM :laugh: ) the dog is brighter than he is so he has trouble checking him as the medium chain does dig into the dog's neck and is also too long, the problem seems to be he won't 'check and release'

Next task is to find some second-hand agility equipment...hummmm, might be a bit of a long-shot I reckon

Poor dog! Wouldn't a martingale be better?

I will find out (ask our trainer) next week about the martingale bedazzledx2.

That site has some pretty good stuff also SecretKei, I have made a note of the sizes and prices of the check chains for him.

thank you all for the info :laugh:

The dog is a Cattle Dog x, the dog's owner is hard of hearing, is shy of praising his dog (our instructor shouts out to him YOU CAN PRAISE YOUR DOG NOW, WE WILL WAIT UNTIL YOU PRAISE HIM :laugh: ) the dog is brighter than he is so he has trouble checking him as the medium chain does dig into the dog's neck and is also too long, the problem seems to be he won't 'check and release'

heavy chains are good for strong dog but arnt the best at relessing them selves

i have a heavy set one and it often hooks it self up on the links so i have to stop what im doing some times and give it a quick flick to release it

but other than that no complaints

i have a heavy set one and it often hooks it self up on the links so i have to stop what im doing some times and give it a quick flick to release it

Thanks for that Cramet, I will let him know

Never had that occur to me, Cramet. Not with the HS brand. I've only had this happen with the "fur-saver" checks, and sometimes the cheap quality chains. Is it a Herm Sprenger that you use?