Pal Puppy

Mindy may be changing from Advance puppy plus to PAL puppy.

She has had sloppy poos on and off from around 8 weeks of age.

She has had 3 faecal floats ruling out parasites such as coccidia and giardia and is up to date with all her worming and vaccinations.

Guide dogs has suggested that the Advance is too rich for her and to try her on PAL puppy (apparently made by the same company as advance?).

Has anyone else found that their puuppy has done better on a supermarket/non premium dog food?

I am willing to give it a try but of course am a bit concerned as I have always thought of PAL as being not the greatest dog food.

if you're getting the runs on advance wait until you feed Pal ... Too rich my butt, I'd be putting her onto a better brand like Eagle Pack or Royal Canin and feed small amounts twice a day. That and feed some pet mince or raw meaty bones to tighten the poo.

I know guide dog org told a guide dog owner to feed their dog some hills z/d with heaps of boiled rice. Poor dog had so little protein in her system she was exhausted.

I have in the past fed my dogs Natures Gift dog food from the supermarkets and to be honest I thought it was great. My dogs loved it and they looked great. If you read the ingredients it's better than some of the 'premium' foods and is a hell of a lot better that Pal. The only reason I don't feed it anymore is because I recently brought a Dobermann pup and that brings the count up to 5 dogs! Natures gift doesn't come in big enough bags to make it worthwhile or economical for me. i now feed half raw and half Black Hawk Holistic kibble.

Ruby didn't do well on Advance large breed puppy either (although she was doing really well on the Rehydratable biscuits). I've since changed her to Eukanuba, but am still not 100% sure if I'll keep her on it when the bag runs out.

Aussie, what happens if you don't choose Pal puppy food? Does that mean that if you choose a different food you would have to pay for it yourself? Is that allowed?

Just wondering :rofl:

Ruby didn't do well on Advance large breed puppy either (although she was doing really well on the Rehydratable biscuits). I've since changed her to Eukanuba, but am still not 100% sure if I'll keep her on it when the bag runs out.

Aussie, what happens if you don't choose Pal puppy food? Does that mean that if you choose a different food you would have to pay for it yourself? Is that allowed?

Just wondering :rofl:

Take a look at the Ingredients list on the back of the bag.

Dogs are not horses, they don't need their food to start with maize, corn, or rice.

Try to find an Australian made food with meat as the first ingredient.

One such dry food is ProPlan now Australian Made. If you do the change-over slowly and as some else said feed small meals often rather then once or twice a day, you should notice a change is the out-put after about 7 days.

Money back guarantee means you won't be stuck with a bag of food if the dog does not take to it.

Don't assume that because the meat is the first ingredient that it deserves to be first on the list. Some companies weigh and list the meat while it is still fresh - as in still full of water/moisture. Other companies weigh and list the meat once it has been dehydrated. As you would expect there is a big weight difference between fresh and dried meat :rofl:

Advance used to supply Guide Dogs QLD with their food for free, I can only imagine that they do the same for NSW, and if this is the case, and they are also the same company that makes Pal I can see why they are suggesting it

AL why dont you ask them about trying the diet the QLD dogs are on now? its a RAW based diet that comes as frozen patties, GD QLD now has all of their dogs in training and all of their breeding stock on it and swear by it, I bought some for Lexi to try and I was happy with it, the only reason why I didnt keep buying it was because I was too lazy to track down the store that sells it

If I don't go with the Pal, the only other option is advance. I am happy to pay for the food, but when they leave the puppy raisers thye are only given what guide dogs is sponsored by.

I will suggest they have a look at what guide dogs QLD does.

I think it is a fairly recent thing that puppy raisers receive food. In the notes we received when applying, it said we would have to get the food ourselves.

I tried feeding our Dobe the Pedigree Natural and it was certainly better for him than the Supercoat however when I went to buy it again they said it had been discontinued.

I don't know if it was discontinued just at that retailer or overall but I switched him onto a combination of Uncle Albers and Advance and it is working well.

I have some of my show dogs that just can't eat Advance, they throw up and others that are OK on it.

I don't make dry food the main diet for my showies, their main diet is raw with just a bit of dry at breakfast time for those that can eat it.

Results really seem to vary from dog to dog so use what works best for you.

I have found that Royal Canin is very well tolerated by all but it is expensive if it is the only thing you feed.

If I don't go with the Pal, the only other option is advance. I am happy to pay for the food, but when they leave the puppy raisers thye are only given what guide dogs is sponsored by.

I will suggest they have a look at what guide dogs QLD does.

I think it is a fairly recent thing that puppy raisers receive food. In the notes we received when applying, it said we would have to get the food ourselves.

I PMed you about the RAW

Im not sure how long Advance has sponsored Guide Dogs for but the guy up here I was chatting to made it seem as though they have been getting it for years...maybe they either have old paperwork, or they are trying to discourage people who think "hey free puppy!"

advance has a high degree of vegetable rather than meat proteins, which some dogs find harder to process so perhaps that is what is upsetting her tummy? pal will not alter this, as they use almost no met proteins...

honestly, if you think it is better for mindy long term, then switch her feed to a kibble that has good quality meat proteins and feed her a bit of probiotic yoghurt as well. when she goes back for training she might not have the same reaction to the food and if she really doesn't do well on it they might change her anyway cos she won't be working at her optimum... it depends on what you want to do, but if you coudl find soemthing which really works for her, then when she goes back and if she doesn't do well back on advance, at least they and you knwo what she will be happy and best on.

• 2 weeks later...

Aussie, how is Mindy going? Did you change her food?

I've just changed Ruby over to Royal Canin Labrador. So far (and it's only been a couple of days lol), she really likes it. I'm hoping her poos are smaller too, but will have to give that part a bit longer to judge.