Doggy “personalities”

Bubitty

Its reassuring that it is suggested that a good breeder can pick a pup to suit a buyer the best. I was considering getting a pup from a breeder next time and it is a big ask to let them pick the pup for you.

But it makes sense that they have a better idea. I laughed with my friend who picked her pup because it was happiest to see them. The other pups were mostly asleep whereas her pup had just woken up.

My boy I saw as a rescue and love at first sight. Drove to Panthers at Penrith from Orange to pick him up. Took less than 1 second to know he was the right dog. The foster carer only needed a minute to watch him with me and said looks like he'd be fine.

The same rescue offered me another dog but in a few minutes I knew this dog was not for me. So she went back to her foster carer.

Instead I ended up with a dog I would never had picked myself and ( long story) very unusual for me to get a dog so quickly like I did. She was locked up for her first 8 months and I think it was nearly home to Orange before she stopped going off in the crate. But when she did get home she jumped up on the lounge, sat down and looked at me. I called her Gemma on the spot as she was a bit of a gem. And I think she may be what DOLers call my heaRT dog.

Do others listen to their trainers ( for agility etc) or people who train with them for help or opinions on their next choice of dog as well?

And would a breeder tell you that she hasn't got a puppy this litter that would suit and to wait for the next litter? How often does this happen? Has anyone done this?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With both my Vizslas the breeders made the decision for me. Both decisions I've been very happy with. Bonding with them was pretty much immediate as neither were impulsive decisions, and it fact I was involved well before they were even conceived.

Even then there were no assurances that I'd get a pup. Especially with my youngest as he had to go through an assessment before I could even consider him mine.

No dog is perfect, and some turn out to have quite different drives (or lack there-of) that the breeder couldn't possibly have predicted.

Personality wise? Huxley is my HEART. He's my best friend and although he can lose confidence here and there, when push comes to shove he's totally on the ball.

Sawyer is my piece of sunshine. He's so laid back and accepting of everything, and just doesn't feel the need to worry. Why worry?! I could just sleep is his motto.

I used to own a Std. Poodle. Beautiful dog, fantastic breeder, lots of support etc, and I did early level obedience trialling with her, but as much as I wanted to like her I just couldn't at all. I learnt to professionally groom her so I could save on money and build our bond, but nope. She thought I was nice.. pleasant even, but she just didn't enjoy being with me. A young, spritely dog sighing when I'd call her over for a pat or a treat, that's not normal. So after 6 years I re-homed her to a wonderful older couple that just think she's lovely (and she is, just not for me).

So don't expect 'The One' or this great blossoming relationship with a new dog, as like with people some work and some don't.

Oh and last thoughts.. if either of my Vs were unsuitable for me, in either my opinion or that of their breeders, I'm sure I wouldn't have got them.

My girl has not got the personality that I would've chosen myself. She is smart as a tack, driven and a tad bossy if you allow it and has been a right handful at times for my level of experience. Couple that with a large streak of independence and her aggression issues (not towards me btw) and you have a dog that I wasn't prepared for or expecting. Unfortunately that is what can happen when you get a dog from a BYB, and do not have a good breeder or rescue organisation to help you with your choice.

Having said that, I adore this dog. She can be marshmallowly sweet at times, she rewards me for my hard work and she is a delight to train when I finally get things right!! She is great fun to be around, she plays hard and then spends a lot of time curled up on the couch with me or lounging around. Not the easiest first dog ever, but I very well could have done a lot worse and she has taught me a lot. She will influence my future decisions in dog ownership (breed, breeder, training, personality etc) for many, many years to come.

Edit - To add something

Edited by Emm

If a Breeder has whelped their litter inside and has spent a fair bit of time with them then they should without doubt be able to pick a suitable puppy on your behalf.

Yes, I believe there are some dogs that you just don't click with.

I do have a friend though who adopted a pound dog and there is no bond at all. The dog lives in the back yard by herself and thats it. I did advise them that they would be better off with a pup as I had suspected they would not bond with an adult. Also, for some reason they were both crazy about barney and were looking for a dog like him (they cheekily asked if I would be prepared to give him to them - yea right) so I am wondering if the bond hasnt developed because she is not like him at all.

Anyway, quite an interesting topic.

Like I said, if I raise it, I love it and bond with it - sometimes instantly. I would like to rescue a small adult breed at some stage but I dont know that I would bond with it. However, even if I didnt, the dog would receive the same treatment as the others. But maybe the bond would happen - I dont know.

Waffling now

It is pretty hard to bond with a dog that lives outside by itself :laugh:

I read somewhere that dogs need to spend at least 5 hrs a day with human company (i think it was in puppy school notes).