Wandering Dog Update 14/12/2010

Bilbo Baggins

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think it would take around a dozen people to trap him/her, very quick and cunning

I agree. The area is very large & just 2 people on their own with all that tall undergrowth have got no hope.

Jan cant get out til tomoz night, I'll ring her in a minute. How many could we get together for tonight?

If we cant get more than 8, do you think we should look at doing something else GSD's? I dont know the area but can imagine in an industrial area it will be VERY difficult.

Edited because the place I thought would hire dog traps doesn't! I just called a private animal rescuer and he does have a trap that would work but he is a private business so definitely not cheap. He is a lovely person though and said the council and or RSPCA should be able to do something to catch this dog (which we both laughed at). He also suggested the media if no help can be saught. He said the dog may need to be darted by a vet or otherwise you could try putting out some food with sedatives. He said it can take months to catch stray dogs though if they have a food source. :dancingelephant:

Edited by Kirty

i think it would take around a dozen people to trap him/her, very quick and cunning

I agree. The area is very large & just 2 people on their own with all that tall undergrowth have got no hope.

Jan cant get out til tomoz night, I'll ring her in a minute. How many could we get together for tonight?

If we cant get more than 8, do you think we should look at doing something else GSD's? I dont know the area but can imagine in an industrial area it will be VERY difficult.

My daughter and I could help tonight or any time really. I also have a large crate, but would need a large car to transport it with a dog inside. It won't fit in the back of my CRV unless folded down. :dancingelephant:

It's only the height of the undergrowth that makes it difficult. If it was cleared, it would be easy peasy because he's basically penned in by concrete walls & cyclone fencing. I should have taken the camera with me today & posted some pics. Better than me trying to describe the layout. Night time will be a b!tch without flood lights. It's wet under foot & the potential for a broken "something" isn't worth it. We basically need a sweep search of lots of bodies on either side to flush him out of the heavy growth. Knowing he camps under that car roof is a better start than going to the site & wondering where the little bugger is hiding. Standing still with a couple of good pairs of binoculars isn't such a ridiculous suggestion either. If no-one's been out there after I've been to club tomorrow morning, I'll whip out there, take some photos & post them so you have a better idea of what we're dealing with.

It's only the height of the undergrowth that makes it difficult. If it was cleared, it would be easy peasy because he's basically penned in by concrete walls & cyclone fencing. I should have taken the camera with me today & posted some pics. Better than me trying to describe the layout. Night time will be a b!tch without flood lights. It's wet under foot & the potential for a broken "something" isn't worth it. We basically need a sweep search of lots of bodies on either side to flush him out of the heavy growth. Knowing he camps under that car roof is a better start than going to the site & wondering where the little bugger is hiding. Standing still with a couple of good pairs of binoculars isn't such a ridiculous suggestion either. If no-one's been out there after I've been to club tomorrow morning, I'll whip out there, take some photos & post them so you have a better idea of what we're dealing with.

Might be able to get a bit of an idea on Google maps, Street View, or Satellite pic.

it is a very large area and the grass is very long. when we spotted him last night he was in the factory bit in the street hiding under some debris in a print factory front yard. as soon as he took off behind the factories tho, we couldnt follow in the dark. so i agree a large search party at night wouldnt work. we were going to lay some food down tonight and then hide and see if that worked, but only in the street not the undergrowth as its too dangerous at night.

tomorrow being fathers day, dont know if a lot of people could make it for a search party. i agree with gsds, too dangerous to venture into the grassed area at night. its a broken leg waiting to happen.

He's got a BIG pile of dumped commercial mushrooms to snack on, so he's not going anywhere. When I got there this morning, I saw a fresh pile of poo that he had probably laid just this morning. No food ... no poo, so that's why I think he's getting into the mushrooms.

I'm always .... dogs before humans, so I'm up for a "flush out" tomorrow ... and OH wouldn't dare say "no" to me when it comes to something like this, :dancingelephant: so that's a party of 2 here.

Just got off the phone to Bilb and we were all excited about Kirtys trap link, then..................................................EDIT. Argggggggggggh. :dancingelephant:

Our group cant afford a private rescue man and the council have no hope. Bilbo suggested getting the Northern Obedience Club to have a search after their class or something?...... Other than that we need to speak to the rest of our group to come up with a plan. It would be the most fantastic feeling to hand back a dog to its owner if it has been truly lost for weeks.

What to do? Hopefully someone on the breed clubs that fan has contacted will know more. Fingers crossed.

We have put signs in the local supermarket, fish n chips shop and the milkbar where I have seen a white shep being walked.

We just went to the area where he has been spotted. He was on the other side of the creek laying in the grass out in the open. As soon has he heard us, (nothing wrong with those ears), from such a long way, he took off. He ran around the side of the fence line of a truck depot that backs the area from the next street over. He seemed to know exactly where there was a hole in the fence and ended up in the large truck yard. We drove to the front of the truck depot, but it was all closed up. I wonder if the people in there may also have been feeding him. If he has been there for a while, they would know about him I am sure. If he hasn't been caught by Monday, it might be a good idea to either go around and speak to the truck company, or give them a call and see if they know anything about him, like how long he has been there. I wonder if he may even live there?

Edited by sumosmum

We have put signs in the local supermarket, fish n chips shop and the milkbar where I have seen a white shep being walked.

We just went to the area where he has been spotted. He was on the other side of the creek laying in the grass out in the open. As soon has he heard us, (nothing wrong with those ears), from such a long way, he took off. He ran around the side of the fence line of a truck depot that backs the area from the next street over. He seemed to know exactly where there was a hole in the fence and ended up in the large truck yard. We drove to the front of the truck depot, but it was all closed up. The truck company is called XL Express. I wonder if the people in there may also have been feeding him. If he has been there for a while, they would know about him I am sure. The truck place fronts Barrie Rd. If he hasn't been caught by Monday, it might be a good idea to either go around and speak to the truck company, or give them a call and see if they know anything about him, like how long he has been there. I wonder if he may even live there?

great point. wouldnt be the first, thats for sure.

Sorry Chewy. I was hopeful too. :dancingelephant: I can't help tonight or tomorrow, but possibly Monday?

:dancingelephant: Thats ok, its too far for you and probably too difficult unless we have a good plan of attack, best to investigate the companies in his zone and go from there. You would be great to have though if we get something realistic in place, Im sure you would be used to all sorts, dogs that is!!

Just got off the phone to Bilb and we were all excited about Kirtys trap link, then..................................................EDIT. Argggggggggggh. :dancingelephant:

Our group cant afford a private rescue man and the council have no hope. Bilbo suggested getting the Northern Obedience Club to have a search after their class or something?...... Other than that we need to speak to the rest of our group to come up with a plan. It would be the most fantastic feeling to hand back a dog to its owner if it has been truly lost for weeks.

What to do? Hopefully someone on the breed clubs that fan has contacted will know more. Fingers crossed.

Trust me mate, I strongly doubt whether Northern will help. That's my club. If it's not one of their members, they're not %ed. Harsh but fair. Just so you don't get your hopes up.