Wandering Dog Update 14/12/2010

Bilbo Baggins

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just back from the site. Man, I'm getting fit from going up & down that embankment, jumping the creek & pushing my way through the growth. :love:

Well, he still there. Popped out from under his car roof "kennel" & sauntered up the back. He does seem to be very comfy there. We went up the back where the trucks are & wandered through accessible buildings. He's got some pretty good hiding places, that's for sure. Took a load of photos to show you what we're up against. PB takes ages, so don't expect me back in the next 5 minutes. :p

I'm not taking my dogs out there Trishm. Too dangerous. You just don't know if/where the snakes are. I love White Sheppie Rescue, but I'm not prepared to risk my dogs to get this boy in.

forgot to say we went round again last night and spotted him, but again no cigar.

if he is still around next weekend i think we should get a group together, or even possibly one night after work.

i feel with a few people, knowing the area, we could catch the little bugger. just two isnt enough

forgot to say we went round again last night and spotted him, but again no cigar.

if he is still around next weekend i think we should get a group together, or even possibly one night after work.

i feel with a few people, knowing the area, we could catch the little bugger. just two isnt enough

Just in the middle of posting photos Darl so everyone has a good idea of what they're up for. :)

OK, here we go .....

This is the paddock you enter through from street parking ....

P1000420.jpg

Walking through that paddock to the embankment ...

P1000421.jpg

At the top of the embankment. His "kennel" is in the middle of frame ...

P1000422.jpg

Down the embankment & looking to the left ...

P1000423.jpg

Down the embankment & looking to the right ...

P1000424.jpg

Closer view of his "kennel" with the truck containers in the background ...

P1000425.jpg

The mushrooms he may be snacking on ....

P1000426.jpg

P1000427.jpg

Part of the creek ...

P1000428.jpg

Just to show you the height of what you have to walk through & he can hide in ..

P1000429.jpg

Edited by GSD's 4EVER

Inside his "kennel" ...

P1000430.jpg

Another shot of his "kennel" ....

P1000431.jpg

This is how overgrown it is & he knows how to hide ....

P1000432.jpg

P1000433.jpg

P1000434.jpg

Looking back at the warehouses over the creek ...

P1000435.jpg

The view around his "kennel" ..

P1000436.jpg

P1000437.jpg

You're constantly negotiating this ...

P1000438.jpg

P1000439.jpg

Edited by GSD's 4EVER

He's got some running water to drink from ...

P1000440.jpg

So these pics should give you all a pretty good idea of the site in real time with as much detail as I can give you all. He seems to be very settled in there. Perhaps we need to chat to the warehouse owners at the back of the site & see what their contact & interaction with the little "rascal" has been.

Edited by GSD's 4EVER

Yes, I agree GSD, I think it would be a good idea for White Shep Rescue to call the trucking company maybe tomorrow and ask what they know about him. :) When I saw him, he knew his way well around their yard.

He isn't a guard dog for them, they have no sign on their fence, but I think they would know something about him.

Edited by sumosmum

We're slowly closing in on the little guy Sumo (hopefully). :) After we were finished taking photos & tramping all over the place .... including right up the back into some sort of place involving chemicals, we drove around to Barrie Road to get a good look at this trucking company. We actually determined that there was enough places for him to get on to the street & nick off if he wanted to. So for some reason, he chooses to stay.

Oh wow, you are a bloody legend GSD's.

Great work.

Does anyone have time to make a few phonecalls tomorrow, those of you who have been out to the area so you can put things in to perspective?

Its going to be impossible for me next weekend as OH is training away Thursday-Sunday and with 3 girls 5 and under, its not appropriate to take them. My parents are in Africa so I have nobody. In fact I think I will need to be rescued.

I am waiting for Bilbo to get back and brainstorm as this is her case :)

So he is obviously reasonably safe but we dont want him to run off or shift camp so we need to be very clever on our approach.

I am working Monday to Wednesday this week. I was just thinking, someone around there may be feeding the dog. When I worked at the airport, we had cats that didn't belong to anyone, (probably dumped) and they got fed. We all would take cat food to work and feed them, but one guy in particular cared for the cats and he was the only person who could actually catch them. We ended up getting them all speyed and rehomed the kittens that came before they were speyed. Be good if someone around there has been kind to the dog and made some sort of connection with him. These cats that were in my work could not be touched by anyone else except their favourite person. Everyone else was nice to them, but they only trusted one person. Hopefully something like that is going on over there with the Shep.

All the businesses couldn't help but notice the dog. Being white, he stands out on the landscape. We saw him immediately yesterday when we drove around there. He was asleep about 20 meters to the left of the car roof, laying on the ground!

Chewy ... as I often say .... my dogs are gradually turning me into the best human being I can possibly be.... & it's hopefully happening because I listen to them. If Spirit wasn't so beautiful & I didn't love her so much, I wouldn't have put in any effort what so ever. I've thought of Tara & Spirit being in this position constantly from Friday since I first read about the situation. If they were missing, I would hope that someone would care enough to search for my girls & return them to me. :) This boy as "Some 'splaining to do" though when we finally get him into care. :eek:

Chewy ... as I often say .... my dogs are gradually turning me into the best human being I can possibly be.... & it's hopefully happening because I listen to them. If Spirit wasn't so beautiful & I didn't love her so much, I wouldn't have put in any effort what so ever. I've thought of Tara & Spirit being in this position constantly from Friday since I first read about the situation. If they were missing, I would hope that someone would care enough to search for my girls & return them to me. :) This boy as "Some 'splaining to do" though when we finally get him into care. :eek:

you have been such a wonderful help GSD's and I know exactly where you are coming from. He has a collar on, he was someones joy. Imagine reuniting wioth his loving owner (hopefully loving), or worst case rehab and rehome with a comfy bed at a masters feet. I hope once he is caught, he isnt too far gone.

I just hope we can do something. Now we know his home is a car bonnet, it makes me sick to think he may have been that way for months.

WHat to do though????

Our group cant afford a private rescue man and the council have no hope.

How much does the private rescue man cost?

I was going to ring in the morning and get a quote. Our last 3 rescues have cost us near $1800 and our income is a sausage sizzle once every few months. Kirty suggested Mr Rescue would be very expensive so we will wait and see. It would be the best solution but our funds are VERY limited especially if something turns up and needs vetwork or training in the next week.

Does anyone else have any idea of private dog catcher costs?

No worries Chewy. Happy to help out where I can. I may have mentioned this before, but if not ..... I reckon you should go armed with some very strong binoculars to track the little guy when he leaves his "kennel". Now that we have pictures so everyone knows what I'm talking about ..... he'll make his move once he spots humans in that first paddock from the street. On the trip out there every day I've been saying a mantra "Please be there, please be there, please be there." Let's see what comes of direct contact with the people working in the area. That's all I'm able to offer for the moment peeps. I'm not good at contacting humans & I'm not really involved with White Sheppie Rescue, so it's over to the rest of you for the moment.

No worries Chewy. Happy to help out where I can. I may have mentioned this before, but if not ..... I reckon you should go armed with some very strong binoculars to track the little guy when he leaves his "kennel". Now that we have pictures so everyone knows what I'm talking about ..... he'll make his move once he spots humans in that first paddock from the street. On the trip out there every day I've been saying a mantra "Please be there, please be there, please be there." Let's see what comes of direct contact with the people working in the area. That's all I'm able to offer for the moment peeps. I'm not good at contacting humans & I'm not really involved with White Sheppie Rescue, so it's over to the rest of you for the moment.

I'll wait for Bilbo to go out, but then again I could probably describe things from the pics thanks to you. I'll ring in the morning, and the trap man too. I just want to be clear on what I am talking about location wise.

I've been following this thread with great interest.

Each time I log on, I hope to read that this dog has finally been outwitted.

I hate to think of any dog living like this, when you know how much better off he would be in a caring home.

I applaud the efforts that everyone is going to and I am certain you will catch him in the end.

By looking at the wonderful pics posted by GSD, it is clearly not going to be an easy job.

This is one cunning dog, who obviously knows his territory very well.

My guess, it's going to take a plan more cunning than he is, to catch him.

I know you will come up with something. I wish I could help, but I live way too far out to offer assistance.

Best of luck guys.

I will be waiting for more instalments.

Chhers

Julie