Weed/grass Killer Around Dogs.

Kayla and Zoe

Just wondering if anyone has any good natural weed/grass killer recipe's that I can try!?

See I have a lot of gravel paths that need to be sprayed, but don't want to effect the dogs! If needed though I can lock them out of area's for a certain amount of time if needed.

Thx

Matt.

Although i haven't tried this as i have too much of an area to do, but i have been told to try Boiling water especially in paved areas, I can't see how it will work but you never know.

Same person told me about freezing cold water on aphids and it does work for me!

Also have been told zero and roundup are so harmless you could nearly drink it :laugh: Diluted of course. This i haven't tried either.

Also have been told zero and roundup are so harmless you could nearly drink it, Diluted of course. This i haven't tried either.

The website states

3. Will Roundup harm pets, birds or other wildlife?

Laboratory and field testing indicates that pets and wildlife will not be harmed by feeding on or coming into contact with plants which have been treated with Roundup used according to label directions.

4. Should children and pets stay away from the sprayed area?

Children and pets should be kept away from the sprayed area until the weeds are completely dry. This is simply to avoid transferring Roundup from the treated weeds into desirable plants.

Edited by raffikki

If you don't mind me hijacking the post, I was also wondering whether there were any dog-safe antkillers as well... We're anticipating ants in summer.

Use peppermint oil around the areas they come in. I put peppermint soaked cotton balls in the pantry and cupboards. They won't cross a peppermint trail. A book I have also suggests filling an old can with honey and putting it away from the house. Follow the ant trail back to the nest and pour boiling water in.

I saw a weed killer at Bunnings.

It was a gas fired one. It attached to a wand and you obviously light it and use the heat to kill the weeds. Dead in seconds.

I did not see it alight but imagine it would work like a blow torch.

Absolutely no problems with the dogs ingesting anything with this method.

As the weeds are all green at this time of the year there would be no risk of fire.

I would try to keep them away from any kind of chemical weed killer for at least 24 hours.

I tried the boiling water thing and while it kills the leaves it does not kill the entire plant in my experience. They just kept growing new leaves and shoots and I had to resort to digging them out where possible and chemicals where I couldn't get them out. :laugh:

Also have been told zero and roundup are so harmless you could nearly drink it, Diluted of course. This i haven't tried either.

The website states

3. Will Roundup harm pets, birds or other wildlife?

Laboratory and field testing indicates that pets and wildlife will not be harmed by feeding on or coming into contact with plants which have been treated with Roundup used according to label directions.

4. Should children and pets stay away from the sprayed area?

Children and pets should be kept away from the sprayed area until the weeds are completely dry. This is simply to avoid transferring Roundup from the treated weeds into desirable plants.

And my sister's dog ingested Round Up and was a very sick little boy for a while.

Vinegar, abut a $1.10 for a two litre bottle, kills grass and weeds very effectively and I believe it also deters ants.

My mother in law does this to kill her weeds and I'm giving it a go tomorrow where the garden beds are as I hate weeding. How close to my plants can I go without killing them though? :laugh:

I would try and not get it on your plants at all - quite an effective killer! But if your pour it straight from the bottle you should be able to achieve this, soaks into the dirt, and just pull the ones right near the plants out by hand.