Should I Or Shouldn't I? Any Thoughts Appreciated.

spottychick

Um..... not sure about this.

On Saturday I noticed someone selling a 4 month old dally boy for $200 in the paper. It said to call Sunday so I did. Turns out these people bought the pup from a "breeder" near Launceston for a cheap price for their little girl. The little girl is a toddler. They bought the pup because they wanted to have an "outside dog" (previously they owned a shitzu and it was inside) and thought a dalmatian would be ideal.

But after having the pup a few weeks they've decided it was a bad idea. Apparently the pup is growing faster than they expected and keeps knocking the child over. He lives outside and wont stop pulling things off the washing line, digging holes, tearing up the hose etc... and keeps pulling all his nice blankets out of the big kennel they got him and sleeping out in the cold (OMG!!!! - Do you know how freezing it's been here lately!!!???) He sounds bored and lonely to me.

So they decided to sell him (not give him away because they want to find a good home for him) and get another small dog instead.

Apparently he is a black and white boy, very nicely marked and has black ears with white spots on them LOL Cute,.

One other person has called. The owner said he sounded "old" and the owner wasn't sure about him. They live quite a distance from me but have offered to bring the pup to a town closer to me (where his partner lives???.... I don't know what that means) for me to meet him.

So I'm going to call him back tomorrow morning to tell him if I want to see the pup and to see if the other person has called back.

What do people think?

1. Is this a stupid thing for me to do given I've only just got Tango settled?

2. What else should I be asking about this puppy. The owner didn't know much about it's background. He said something about it's a "Canberra Brand"???? I've never heard that expression before. Anyone know what that means?

3. Is this more like a rescue, an ordinary "puppy purchase" or am I supporting BYB/puppy farmers? What's a legit puppy purchase? How do I know? Does it matter? LOL I'm so confused! My concern is that there are currently TWO male dallies in the Tassie Dogs home looking for new owners. One is a 2 year old, the other 5. There seems to always be a dalmatian or two in the pound lately. I am concerned that's where this little guy will end up in a couple of years time and will have all sorts of issues to deal with. So I'm thinking maybe I should grab him now.

He is not desexed and not microchipped. If I take him now I can get him chipped this week at my local vet along with my girl - they are offering discounted chipping and the Council is also offering discounted registration at the same time at the vets.

Oh and they've named him "scruffy"???? LOL

Anyway, would just like some feedback if poss - especially from anyone who's followed my story with Tango.

Cheers

Edited by spottychick

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh gosh, you're a glutton for punishment, but I've been so impressed with how you've dealt with Tango. And I'm a massive Miss Pepper fan. One things for certain, if you take on this pup it will have a far better life than it currently has.

Is there a registered Dally breeder near Launceston? Does the dog have a registered name and papers? I would personally not call it rescue because it's really not, but it could be considered a good deed for the puppy.

hmm i think it sounds odd but i have not talked or seen the add. why not send it back to the breeder? does it have papers etc?

have a look maybe at the house where is should be.

I dont know im a little cynical

should say good luck with your choice. i do hope it works out well for u and this little pup

Oh gosh, you're a glutton for punishment, but I've been so impressed with how you've dealt with Tango. And I'm a massive Miss Pepper fan. One things for certain, if you take on this pup it will have a far better life than it currently has.

Is there a registered Dally breeder near Launceston? Does the dog have a registered name and papers? I would personally not call it rescue because it's really not, but it could be considered a good deed for the puppy.

Yeah, I guess I don't mean I will only take it if the dog needs rescuing, but I have never bought a pup/dog from anywhere but a rescue situation or a registered breeder (my first dalmatian!). I'm just not sure what's going on with this pup. It all sounds a bit odd to me and I'm not sure what to do. I just keep thinking of it being sold to someone unscrupulous or just negligent and want to go grab it LOL.

I can't find any registered breeders in Launceston. I'm trying to figure out how I find out if there is anything like that here. I was recently thinking about buying a puppy from a registered breeder and talked to a few in Victoria and NSW but couldn't find anything over here.

my only thought SC is whether tango has been settled for enough time so he wont go backwards.

has his behaviour been ingrained enough so the new pup wont cause any issues to resurface?

there is no doubt that you could give this pup a terrific home but you need to make sure that it wont unbalance your pack.

I've read your updates re Tango and Pepper.... I have a bit of a dallie weakness, they are a one day breed for me. Will you be taking on this little one as a new family member, or as a rescue meaning you will be finding him a new home. I honestly wouldn't be trying to integrate him into your pack on a permanent basis, yes you have done a fantastic job with Tango, but if it was me I think it would be too soon and may upset the apple cart, however having said that, I would seriously consider taking him in as a "rescue" and finding him an ideal home for him. By the sounds of it these people have no idea what a Dallie needs in terms of a forever home.... obviously you do.

I have no idea on point 1 or 2. On point 3: It is a puppy being rehomed, in my opinion it is niether a rescue nor supporting bybíng/puppy farming.

Thanks lucys mama. I guess because he's so young it's sort of thrown me a bit. I can't understand how they'd decide anything with only a few weeks of having this young guy.

I've read your updates re Tango and Pepper.... I have a bit of a dallie weakness, they are a one day breed for me. Will you be taking on this little one as a new family member, or as a rescue meaning you will be finding him a new home. I honestly wouldn't be trying to integrate him into your pack on a permanent basis, yes you have done a fantastic job with Tango, but if it was me I think it would be too soon and may upset the apple cart, however having said that, I would seriously consider taking him in as a "rescue" and finding him an ideal home for him. By the sounds of it these people have no idea what a Dallie needs in terms of a forever home.... obviously you do.

This is exactly what I was thinking - if I was to actually plan and choose a puppy it would be a girl because I am afraid of how Tango would be with an adult male. On the other hand I know Pepper will be fantastic with another female.

But I could certainly take him for a while and teach him a few things while I find a decent home for him. I just would hate to find him at a pound in a year or two with major problems.

But if I did that I'd probably want to have a bit of a chat with some seasoned rescuers about how to do all that. :)

Regarding the Canberra comment, there are a few dally breeders in Canberra. Did you ask them if they knew who his breeder was?

Not yet :) I had a look at the breeders in the ACT and actually have talked with Yarrowfell about one of their girls a few weeks ago so I will ask them if they know.

my only thought SC is whether tango has been settled for enough time so he wont go backwards.

has his behaviour been ingrained enough so the new pup wont cause any issues to resurface?

there is no doubt that you could give this pup a terrific home but you need to make sure that it wont unbalance your pack.

Yeah thanks Jaxx. I have to think about that.

Um..... not sure about this.

On Saturday I noticed someone selling a 4 month old dally boy for $200 in the paper. It said to call Sunday so I did. Turns out these people bought the pup from a "breeder" near Launceston for a cheap price for their little girl. The little girl is a toddler. They bought the pup because they wanted to have an "outside dog" (previously they owned a shitzu and it was inside) and thought a dalmatian would be ideal.

But after having the pup a few weeks they've decided it was a bad idea. Apparently the pup is growing faster than they expected and keeps knocking the child over. He lives outside and wont stop pulling things off the washing line, digging holes, tearing up the hose etc... and keeps pulling all his nice blankets out of the big kennel they got him and sleeping out in the cold (OMG!!!! - Do you know how freezing it's been here lately!!!???) He sounds bored and lonely to me.

So they decided to sell him (not give him away because they want to find a good home for him) and get another small dog instead.

Apparently he is a black and white boy, very nicely marked and has black ears with white spots on them LOL Cute,.

One other person has called. The owner said he sounded "old" and the owner wasn't sure about him. They live quite a distance from me but have offered to bring the pup to a town closer to me (where his partner lives???.... I don't know what that means) for me to meet him.

So I'm going to call him back tomorrow morning to tell him if I want to see the pup and to see if the other person has called back.

What do people think?

1. Is this a stupid thing for me to do given I've only just got Tango settled?

2. What else should I be asking about this puppy. The owner didn't know much about it's background. He said something about it's a "Canberra Brand"???? I've never heard that expression before. Anyone know what that means?

3. Is this more like a rescue, an ordinary "puppy purchase" or am I supporting BYB/puppy farmers? What's a legit puppy purchase? How do I know? Does it matter? LOL I'm so confused! My concern is that there are currently TWO male dallies in the Tassie Dogs home looking for new owners. One is a 2 year old, the other 5. There seems to always be a dalmatian or two in the pound lately. I am concerned that's where this little guy will end up in a couple of years time and will have all sorts of issues to deal with. So I'm thinking maybe I should grab him now.

He is not desexed and not microchipped. If I take him now I can get him chipped this week at my local vet along with my girl - they are offering discounted chipping and the Council is also offering discounted registration at the same time at the vets.

Oh and they've named him "scruffy"???? LOL

Anyway, would just like some feedback if poss - especially from anyone who's followed my story with Tango.

Cheers

if the breeder is in Tasmania I may be able to locate them for you, should you need to get in touch or ask any questions. Just Pm me.

My thoughts are..

a dally puppy is much more than the regular joe couuld handle - better being in the hands of someone who knows whats they are doing.

taking it with the idea about probably rehoming is a nice idea - as long as the current owners think about that too. Though having it for good could work as well. you would have to evaluate.

As long as Tango doesn't go backwards

I think that with your housing set up, perhaps it could cause issues, however, as long as you can dedicate time it might be worth it. I don't think a dally puppy is good in just any old persons hands... especially someone old, especially if the puppy is destructive at this point in time.

I don't think it is completley as crazy as it could be. but it would depend on how your dogs go... and whether you have the time to dedicate to training and rehabilitating...

I think at the least it is worth seeing the puppy.

My thoughts are..

a dally puppy is much more than the regular joe couuld handle - better being in the hands of someone who knows whats they are doing.

taking it with the idea about probably rehoming is a nice idea - as long as the current owners think about that too. Though having it for good could work as well. you would have to evaluate.

As long as Tango doesn't go backwards

I think that with your housing set up, perhaps it could cause issues, however, as long as you can dedicate time it might be worth it. I don't think a dally puppy is good in just any old persons hands... especially someone old, especially if the puppy is destructive at this point in time.

I don't think it is completley as crazy as it could be. but it would depend on how your dogs go... and whether you have the time to dedicate to training and rehabilitating...

I think at the least it is worth seeing the puppy.

Thanks tiana. I have the time for it, I work from home so it's a bit easier for me. My girl would love the puppy but yeah, tango is the question mark.

If I see the puppy I wont be able to let it go - I know myself too well LMAO

Guest Kate_Summer

Its not a rescue yet, but I bet if you don't take him he will become a rescue case, POOR BOY ~ May as well get him before he get's traumatized any further & direct the owner to DOL, for guidance on how to choose a breed that would suit them best & from a Reg. Breeder!

In fact, I don't see why pp buy pups for kids, no kids should wear the responsibility of having a dog under 12 year old & some adult should never have them either! Sorry just blabbing away now lol