Should I Or Shouldn't I? Any Thoughts Appreciated.

spottychick

SC have the owners talked to the breeder about taking the puppy back? that would seem to me to be the best approach for the puppy

Sorry jaxx'sbuddy - I thought I'd responded to you! I will talk to the owner about that tomorrow - hopefully after I have a bit of info about the breeders maybe via Quoll.

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its not a rescue yet, but I bet if you don't take him he will become a rescue case, POOR BOY ~ May as well get him before he get's traumatized any further & direct the owner to DOL, for guidance on how to choose a breed that would suit them best & from a Reg. Breeder!

In fact, I don't see why pp buy pups for kids, no kids should wear the responsibility of having a dog under 12 year old & some adult should never have them either! Sorry just blabbing away now lol

My concern exactly - and it's how I keep thinking. LOL I'm such a sucker for dallys - especially a pup!!

Good point re "buying dog for the kid". I don't really know what that's about to be honest. Is it just that they want the kid to be comfortable around dogs?

Funny thing is Dalmatians are brilliant with kids generally. You just have to teach em not to jump up etc and to be gentle around little ones.

Yeah referring them here might be good LOL I did suggest some smaller breeds that might be a better choice - and they were interested in a mini poodle - they were happy to have a smaller dog live inside. I also mentioned tassie Dogs Home as an option and possibly getting an adult dog as puppies are all going to be a bit of work.

SC, if you really want him and have the time, ability and money to take him on then go for it. You'll give the dog a good home and just because it's not the "ideal" way to aquire a pup you shouldn't have to feel guilty.

Just some thoughts, is the breeder registered and are they local? Are they willing to take the puppy back? The owners may not be aware that this is an option.

i'd be worried that someone might take him on and use him as a byb stud-you said he wasn't desexed?

maybe take him on as a temp thing, get him fixed and chipped, a few basic manners, boundaries and behaviours into him and try to move him on to a suitable home?

but i would be another to say that perhaps it is a bit early for tango. it sounds like you are starting to have some breakthroughs with him, but if your heart and head are initially quite unsure then i think your gut is telling you that perhaps tango simply isn't ready yet...?

and just because you didn't get him from a registered breeder or 'rescue' him, it doesn't make him any less worthy of a really good home, nor does it mean you are doing anything wrong or supporting something unethical. -just in case you were worried about that!

I think you'll bring puppy home :)

BUT don't get your heart set on it. You're a dally person and know your pure breed. The dog you meet may not exactly be a pure or even the age stated. :eek: (I had an english pointer who was constantly called a dally so obviously if a dog has spots.......lol)

The rest is up to you. Good luck! xx

Beat me to it Quoll, I was going to cheat and ask mum who the reputable ones here are :eek:

If you can find out the kennel name I bet the breeder would want to know one of their puppies is being advertised in the local paper... they might not have even bothered to let them know! (unless it's a byb in which case they probably wouldn't care)

some how i don't think i should answer that...... We still have sophie.......

But we are being very picky due to her brother bweing pts after being re homed within a day. Me i would but it they really care about the dog say you will do all the vet stuff and make sure he gets a great home either with you or some one else..... Get em to lower the money.....the pound will not give them money!

Is there a registered Dally breeder near Launceston? Does the dog have a registered name and papers? I would personally not call it rescue because it's really not, but it could be considered a good deed for the puppy.

We bought our house from a registered dally breeder (we're in Launceston) and as far as I know, they moved somewhere just out of Launceston so it's possible it's the same woman.

I probably have her contact details somewhere, if SpottyChick wants/needs them.

Is it possible to take Tango with you to the meeting spot? Then you will know at least partially whether he will handle a rambunctious puppy...

I know Tango has issue with travelling in the car, but it's better to know before you bring another dog in that he will cope with it - especially as it sounds just like a very normal and hyper Dalmatian puppy... *grin*

T.

Is there a registered Dally breeder near Launceston? Does the dog have a registered name and papers? I would personally not call it rescue because it's really not, but it could be considered a good deed for the puppy.

We bought our house from a registered dally breeder (we're in Launceston) and as far as I know, they moved somewhere just out of Launceston so it's possible it's the same woman.

I probably have her contact details somewhere, if SpottyChick wants/needs them.

I'll PM you :eek:

hmmm, if it was sold as a young kids dog and to live outside - would this pup be better off for being returned to such a breeder? (providing they knew age of kid and living circs prior to sale)

I'm assuming that the breeder is a BYB? There are plenty of them around....

While this isn't typical rescue, if you buy him, desex him and then adopt him out (if that is what you want to do, and not keep him for yourself) then it will be helping stop the cycle. At the moment, he is a BYB/puppy farmers dream....

hmmm, if it was sold as a young kids dog and to live outside - would this pup be better off for being returned to such a breeder? (providing they knew age of kid and living circs prior to sale)

hmmmmm This is one reason why I want to know more about the breeder :eek:

Have just tried to call them again but couldn't get through.

some how i don't think i should answer that...... We still have sophie.......

But we are being very picky due to her brother bweing pts after being re homed within a day. Me i would but it they really care about the dog say you will do all the vet stuff and make sure he gets a great home either with you or some one else..... Get em to lower the money.....the pound will not give them money!

VC That was so sad what happened to your foster. I dont know about lowering the money. I just worry they'll sell him to the "wrong" sort. Especially a young intact boy. They still havent returned my call ..... hope he hasn't been sold. Or if he has that it was to someone good.

Is it possible to take Tango with you to the meeting spot? Then you will know at least partially whether he will handle a rambunctious puppy...

I know Tango has issue with travelling in the car, but it's better to know before you bring another dog in that he will cope with it - especially as it sounds just like a very normal and hyper Dalmatian puppy... *grin*

T.

Hi TD Tango goes everywhere with me in the car LOL He is fine in the car but has trouble if it's a hot day. He used to have a go at Pepper in the car but that stopped a while ago. Now they're perfectly fine in the back of the wagon together.

So yes, he would definitely meet him. We've had a range of dogs, including small ones, visiting the house at times. The only dogs he has some issues with are bigger males. But it's not clear if THEY growl first and he responds or what. And we separate them fast so I have no idea what he would do beyond a bit of a growl.

But with little dogs he's great - plays with them etc.

Thanks for all the thoughts folks - I knew I could rely on this forum for some level-headed input. Just a bit worried now that I can't get through to the owner.

Secret Kei and Mackiemad - yes I was concerned about that - I want to do the right thing and your comments helped. SK I'm getting info on the breeder hopefully in a few minutes. I tried looking up the Tassie Canine site but there's not much there re dalmatian breeders.

Powerlegs - good point LOL I hadn't thought of that. Though that might not stop me taking him once I had him in my hands :eek:

I would have thought if you were to get another dog for your pack, a puppy would be best. I guess the main point being made is 'is any new dog okay to introduce to your pack at the moment?'

But if you feel it's right, then a puppy would be better as Tango has instant authority over it (being older and higher up in the pack) so it'll be less of a threat to him. I guess it's just up to you to maintain your dominance over all the dogs so they don't feel like it's up to them to sort out problems: what you say is law( Judge Dredd style :laugh: )

- Astred

sophie is coming along in leaps and bounds.... (yes she has a couple of offers of a home, but i thought a bit unsuitable)

but then so is tango..... they are often more forgiving than we give him credit for. sorry for the spelling above too....

damn phone is a bit small to type on.... i tend to miss the errors on such a small screen and small keys create them mistakes.