Should I Or Shouldn't I? Any Thoughts Appreciated.

spottychick

VC - you're doing a great job with Sophie!!

Astred - yes I agree. I'm pretty good at laying down the law and can be pretty darn scary when I want to be LOL

I have spoken to the owner. It doesn't sound like the breeder is the sort you would want to return the puppy to. Apparently when he couldn't sell the pups at the price he wanted he took them to a pet shop and then got outraged at the low price he was offered so he flogged them off cheap himself.

I have asked him to check if the puppy has papers etc and to get the breeder to call me.

The good news (IMO) is that they knocked back the other person who was interested in buying the pup because they didn't think he'd provide a suitable home. That's good but I think they thought I sounded like a better proposition so I don't know if they'd maintain that fussiness without me in the mix.

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say ,go meet him with tango, and take it from there.

A young pure dally would rehome easily, with training, i had a pup once surrendered, was inundated with calls for him.

Can you seperate them at all if need be?

Tango may give him more leeway if he is still pupyish enough.

My dally, being 9 will growl if a pup jumps all over him, its enough for them to take note, and they then stop and lick his face, or lay down, they soon learn respect.

However, i know this is difficult with tango to let it him teach him manners, in case he takes it further. :laugh:

I would say ,go meet him with tango, and take it from there.

A young pure dally would rehome easily, with training, i had a pup once surrendered, was inundated with calls for him.

Can you seperate them at all if need be?

Tango may give him more leeway if he is still pupyish enough.

My dally, being 9 will growl if a pup jumps all over him, its enough for them to take note, and they then stop and lick his face, or lay down, they soon learn respect.

However, i know this is difficult with tango to let it him teach him manners, in case he takes it further. :laugh:

Hi juice

I can't separate them easily but if I had to I could probably call in some help and build something so that we can do that. There isn't even a separate backyard/frontyard atm but it's possible to set it up with a bit of fencing etc. I could even build a run for him outside as there is a kennel here from the previous owners and an area where I could do it. If it was an extreme situation. Oh and there's a small building separate from, but close to, the house where I'm going to install the laundry. It has windows, doors and insulation and is even big enough to make it a second bedroom or studio as well as the laundry area. I forgot about that. It would be brilliant as a sort of HUGE kennel. It has it's own toilet too - not that the puppy will care hahahaha

Yeah, I just don't know with Tango. He seems to have changed so much but I do have to keep reminding myself he's only been with me for 8 months as opposed to 8 years of his previous life. So I still don't know him that well.

:o Itoo would hate to see Tango adversley affected - after all your blood ,sweat and tears to get him to where he is now .

One of the things I always stressed to people looking to adopt a dog, from anywhere, is that you have to consider your existing family: people and dogs and other animals. I have consistently not listened to my own advice and my dogs have suffered and I have not had problem dogs.

The situation this little dog is in is heartbreaking because if he doesn't get out soon and into a home where he is loved, inside and trained and his emotional needs met, the chances he will become a difficult, destructive and unhappy dog are enormous.

Tango has come such a long way and all you have done for him and with him and what he has achieved show him to be an extraordinary dog and you an extraordinary person.

You have reached the stage where you can let Tango off leash (albeit with heart in mouth and wonderging whether he is going to come back :):hug: ) and for Tango to have reached that stage is such an act of love and confidence and trust on his part.

Only you can decide, spottychick, and whatever you do, you will have the support of DOLers.

:thumbsup: Itoo would hate to see Tango adversley affected - after all your blood ,sweat and tears to get him to where he is now .

One of the things I always stressed to people looking to adopt a dog, from anywhere, is that you have to consider your existing family: people and dogs and other animals. I have consistently not listened to my own advice and my dogs have suffered and I have not had problem dogs.

The situation this little dog is in is heartbreaking because if he doesn't get out soon and into a home where he is loved, inside and trained and his emotional needs met, the chances he will become a difficult, destructive and unhappy dog are enormous.

Tango has come such a long way and all you have done for him and with him and what he has achieved show him to be an extraordinary dog and you an extraordinary person.

You have reached the stage where you can let Tango off leash (albeit with heart in mouth and wonderging whether he is going to come back :):) ) and for Tango to have reached that stage is such an act of love and confidence and trust on his part.

Only you can decide, spottychick, and whatever you do, you will have the support of DOLers.

Thanks MM :thumbsup:

If there is a real problem with tango I will find a way to deal with it I reckon. But honestly, his attitude to other male dogs seems to be getting better and better. Yesterday he was hanging out with a huge Irish Wolfhound - intact 18 mth old male with no issues. Even tho the Wolfhound initially growled at him!!

I just spoke to the owner and he told me why he knocked back the other person who was interested in him. APparently this guy said things like "Oh if he misbehaves like that I'll just push his head into the ground - I'll soon show him whose boss" and "I use a stick to stop bad behaviour" etc. He said he told him he didn't like the way he was talking about treating this dog and he'd rather give him to the other person who's interested (me) than sell him to him. LOL Funnily enough the other bloke got a bit angry hee hee

He also asked my advice on what he should feed him while he's still there so that was a nice thing too. I don't think these owners are bad at all - just clueless about dallys.

The pup sounds very intelligent and like he's going to be a handful hee hee. He said he'd tried to stop him pulling washing off the line by tying some garbage bags full of water on the line (not a bad strategy!). Sure enough the pup leapt up and grabbed one of the bags and water flooded all over him. HAHAHAHA

But guess what!! The dude LOVED IT! And went looking for more garbage bags full of water to bust open. hee hee He was biting at the water when it came out, leaping around in the shower of water and having a fabulous time!! :laugh: :D

Well that's just great! He's trained him to love attacking stuff on the washing line! :thumbsup:

He also said he doesn't sook or whine much but he does "knock" on the door a lot. Hmmmmm And he doesnt seem interested in getting out of the yard, just getting into the house (makes sense to me!)

Anyway - we're just working out a way to meet etc and it looks like he doesn't want to charge me any money to take the puppy.

So................. looks like I have a new little friend coming to stay a while.

I've just asked on facebook if any of my Dally friends know of anybody in Tasmania who had a litter about 4 months ago.

I'm thinking it would be quite surprising if the puppy was from a registered breeder. Just a feeling...no real basis. I do know of somebody who had a litter, possibly around that long ago but she is located down South and it was most certainly NOT registered and was (I'm told) a 1/2 brother 1/2 sister breeding. 8 puppies I think and all sold off cheaply, as well as one (possibly both) of the parents......out with the old, in with the new! :eek::laugh::eek:

I'll let you know if I find anything out.

But guess what!! The dude LOVED IT! And went looking for more garbage bags full of water to bust open. hee hee He was biting at the water when it came out, leaping around in the shower of water and having a fabulous time!! rofl1.gif rofl1.gif

Well that's just great! He's trained him to love attacking stuff on the washing line! eek1.gif

:laugh::eek: :eek:

All the best with this little guy Spottychick! Fingers crossed that Tango and Pepper (I have a Pepper too hehe) will be okay with the new bouncy addition.

I can certainly relate to worrying about the fate of an undesexed dog being advertised in the paper. Sounds like your heart has already decided what you're going to do :laugh:

The ideal situation would be if the current owners could 'surrender' the dog to you. Let them know it will cost you way more than they're asking for you to get the pup desexed, microchipped, vaccinated, wormed, heartwormed, registered, etc, and you are then going to re-home it to a suitable home (basically doing what they should have done in the first place). I think you'll be able to word it nicer than that though :eek:

Let us know how things go at the meeting. I think it's a good idea to take Tango with you to see how they go initially.

Hugs and blessings to you

xxx

i'm excited for you :laugh:

props for making this lil guy's life worth living --- with playmates to boot :eek:

and curiously, i think this lil pup might be just the thing for tango :eek:

You never know Skruffy!!! It might be

Incidentally - did I mention his current name is "Scruffy"????

Incidentally - did I mention his current name is "Scruffy"????

:laugh: you're gonna have to change that!

My old dally boy's name was Thorn :laugh: (one of the dogs from the Lost Boys movie - I was a tragic goth as a teenager :laugh: )

- Astred

ETA:

PUUUPPPPYYY!!! YAY fingers crossed :rofl:

Edited by KnucklesDutchnUs

Yes he definitely needs a new name. Whoever heard of a dally named Scruffy! Humph! How insulting! No wonder he's naughty hee hee

Duffy would be better if he was a she - I actually really like the singer Duffy :)

Doofus??? Hee heee :D

Might have to wait till I see him. See if I'm inspired.

Well, you've made your decision s/chick and it isn't half obvious that you are excited :D :) .

Although, I think someone has a sense of humour calling a Dally Scruffy ;) , I do agree that it needs changing.

We can now look forward to some more wonderfully told and vividly described stories. When are you getting the lad?

Edited by Mother Moocher

LOL Yes, he was rather embarassed when I asked what his name was. I suspect the daughter named him.

Not sure when he's getting here yet. I'm having trouble getting to where he is so his owner is working out if he can drive the pup over here. I'm guessing that would be the weekend as he works during the week.

If not then I'll try to get up to him.

The free microchipping thing is open on Sunday (without appointments) so I'm aiming for that. But it depends on my car and a few other things ;)

Yeah .... I guess I'm a BIT excited.... hee hee - mixed with a fair dose of "WHAT THE HELL AM I DOING?????!!!"

My neighbour is more excited than I am. She keeps asking me if he's here yet hahahaha

I guess I should give some thought to what he might need. It's been years since I had a pup - that would be Miss Pepper. She wrecked one of my favourite dolls I've had since I was 2 (ran off up the corridor and out the back door with housemates standing around unhelpfully yelling "The spotty dingos got your baby!!!") :) and the inside plastic parts of my food processor. :D

Edited by spottychick