Remote Training Collars

MM: The only thing I can do at this point in time is tap my fingers on the tiles and I say "Uffa, Uffa" and he starts to run up and down the hallway, but after a short time he becomes over stimulated and tries to bite my hands, I stop the game straight away, but then he starts to bark, which HAS to result in a time out, sometimes 2 or 3 time outs before the barking desists.

K9: why is that the only game you can play? how about fetch, frisbee, chase me?

M: He also uses his teeth (gently) when I do something to him that he's not happy about. An example would be putting his jumper on (he has to be clipped, so he does feel the cold at night), or putting a collar on him, he will roll on his back and use his mouth and teeth to hinder access. Treats are helpful and I always positively re-enforce, but it feels like I'm banging my head against the wall at times. I also use the motto "teeth on skin mean no play", as soon as his teeth touch my skin I stop everything and walk away, but as you all know there are times when you just can't stop what you are doing.

K9: You may also be reinforcing the teeth action lol... I would go back to your behaviourist and explain your problems. It very much sounds like you have leadership problems.

MM: He also tries very hard to illicit my mum into playing with him when I walk out of the room by barking at her.

K9: rememeber the dog can never start the game... Yours thinks he can,.

MM: The advice my mum was given to stop the behaviour is: make no eye contact, as soon as he starts to bark get up and walk out of the room and make a cup of tea, if he continues and follows her, she is to walk out and shut the door leaving him on the other side, but only for about 10 seconds and then come back in, repeat the process if he continues. His record so far is 5 time outs in one session. Unfortunately my mum is 81 and has trouble getting in and out of the chair, so sometimes she just let's him bark at her and ignores him.

I really don't know if the e-collar would be of any benefit in these situations. :thumbsup:

K9: I was going to say that it seems like a lot of work for your mum, until I read she was 81! My god stop giving her all the work to do!

Put the dog outside for the time out...

Did the behaviourist come to your home and do they know your 81 year old mum is doing laps in and out of the room?

If they did, get a PROFFESSIONAL to help...

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MM: The advice my mum was given to stop the behaviour is: make no eye contact, as soon as he starts to bark get up and walk out of the room and make a cup of tea, if he continues and follows her, she is to walk out and shut the door leaving him on the other side, but only for about 10 seconds and then come back in, repeat the process if he continues. His record so far is 5 time outs in one session. Unfortunately my mum is 81 and has trouble getting in and out of the chair, so sometimes she just let's him bark at her and ignores him.

I really don't know if the e-collar would be of any benefit in these situations. :thumbsup:

K9: I was going to say that it seems like a lot of work for your mum, until I read she was 81! My god stop giving her all the work to do!

Did the behaviourist come to your home and do they know your 81 year old mum is doing laps in and out of the room?

The "advice" given (taken??) is very much a Victoria Stilwell strategy. It can be handy to use for certain things but I find it too much work under most situations. Obviously for this situation with your Mum it is not suitable. And it's not suitable regardless because it is not working. Agree with K9 Pro .... Leadership isn't being recognised by your dog - something's missing. Professional help from someone who knows is needed.

Edited by Erny

MM: The only thing I can do at this point in time is tap my fingers on the tiles and I say "Uffa, Uffa" and he starts to run up and down the hallway, but after a short time he becomes over stimulated and tries to bite my hands, I stop the game straight away, but then he starts to bark, which HAS to result in a time out, sometimes 2 or 3 time outs before the barking desists.

M: He also uses his teeth (gently) when I do something to him that he's not happy about. An example would be putting his jumper on (he has to be clipped, so he does feel the cold at night), or putting a collar on him, he will roll on his back and use his mouth and teeth to hinder access. Treats are helpful and I always positively re-enforce, but it feels like I'm banging my head against the wall at times. I also use the motto "teeth on skin mean no play", as soon as his teeth touch my skin I stop everything and walk away, but as you all know there are times when you just can't stop what you are doing.

K9: You may also be reinforcing the teeth action lol... I would go back to your behaviourist and explain your problems. It very much sounds like you have leadership problems.

MM: He also tries very hard to illicit my mum into playing with him when I walk out of the room by barking at her.

I really don't know if the e-collar would be of any benefit in these situations. :champagne:

I did have a behavourist/trainer come out to the house. She saw the dog's interaction with both mum and I. I have a spinal condition and also find it difficult getting up and walking (not that this has hindered any and all training that I do with Micky) But have spent a GREAT deal of time with Micky, we walk (i USE A GOPHER) for an hour an a half in the morning and an hour in the afternoon. I also spent about 5 minutes, many times during the day training using the Clicker method. He has taken to Clicker Training like a duck to water. I have also being doing the TOT from the time he actually started learning things. He does not have a problem learning new things, it's the modification of the old, bad habits that I'm having the problem with.

The advice she gave me was extremely helpful, I was just wondering if the Ecollar would be of any benefit in his continuous training, but from the comments and opinions I have heard, it is not something that would help Micky, if anything I think it might make him worse.

We do play other games besides the one that gets hi over exited, he loves to play fetch and I have taught him to 'give' with no problem whatsoever.

Regarding my mum and ALL the work, she still goes out to lunch 3 times a week, is still driving and the door she has to walk thru is three steps away from where she sits. I would not expect a frail 81 year old to have to try and control a boisterous 2 year pooch:).

So thank you for you advice, I really appreciate all comments, and I'll take heed of not playing games that would promote him using his teeth.

MM

Edited by Guest

I did have a behavourist/trainer come out to the house. She saw the dog's interaction with both mum and I. I have a spinal condition and also find it difficult getting up and walking (not that this has hindered any and all training that I do with Micky) But have spent a GREAT deal of time with Micky, we walk (i USE A GOPHER) for an hour an a half in the morning and an hour in the afternoon. I also spent about 5 minutes, many times during the day training using the Clicker method. He has taken to Clicker Training like a duck to water. I have also being doing the TOT from the time he actually started learning things. He does not have a problem learning new things, it's the modification of the old, bad habits that I'm having the problem with.

K9: The time your spending and the training he is picking up is helpful so well done there. I would stop the leaving the room though I think this is a poorly structured program given your family situation.

Again I would contact the behaviourist and ask if the program can be restructured to extinguish the problem another way (I can think of about a dozen ways off the top of my head).

The advice she gave me was extremely helpful, I was just wondering if the Ecollar would be of any benefit in his continuous training, but from the comments and opinions I have heard, it is not something that would help Micky, if anything I think it might make him worse.

K9: Look the e collar itself would not make this worse, it could be helpful and I feel the problems you have I could correct with the e collar very quickly, but, the problems you have listed here are fairly simple problems to correct without the need to go to the expense of an e collar and the training to go with it.

Doesnt mean you cant use one, doesnt mean that you cant decide to buy one and go that way, you have to do what is right for you and this might be the simplest way for you.

We do play other games besides the one that gets hi over exited, he loves to play fetch and I have taught him to 'give' with no problem whatsoever.

K9: Great stick to those games and if a tooth touches your hand, end the game instantly.

Regarding my mum and ALL the work, she still goes out to lunch 3 times a week, is still driving and the door she has to walk thru is three steps away from where she sits. I would not expect a frail 81 year old to have to try and control a boisterous 2 year pooch:).

K9: I think if I had to get up (up to 5 times so far I think you said) to stop the dog barking at me, I dont think I would want to do that unless I saw it was reducing the behaviour fast (which I guess it isnt as your here looking for help) and I am not 81.

Like I said do what is best for you, but I would start by contacting the person you paid to help and seek some follow up, if you find no success or they cannot restructure the program, then by all means shoot me an email and I will see if I can help... :D

I really don't know if the e-collar would be of any benefit in these situations. ;)

So thank you for you advice, I really appreciate all comments, and I'll take heed of not playing games that would promote him using his teeth.

MM

Micky Moo,

In my experience, the behaviours that you describe can be stopped using an e collar. And I think that it would be especially useful if you and your mom experience some mobility issues as you don't actually have to be next to your dog to discourage unwanted behaviours (such as barking to get attention).

For me the question is more about whether is worth spending the money on an ecollar when you could first try other simpler deterrents such a spray bottle full of water.

Bottom line is that if the behaviours are affecting your or your mother's quality of life then they should be corrected and as I said at the beginning of the message a ecollar (if properly used) can discourage your dog form bitting and barking.

The "advice" given (taken??) is very much a Victoria Stilwell strategy. It can be handy to use for certain things but I find it too much work under most situations. Obviously for this situation with your Mum it is not suitable. And it's not suitable regardless because it is not working. Agree with K9 Pro .... Leadership isn't being recognised by your dog - something's missing. Professional help from someone who knows is needed.

Yes I agree with you entirely about the leadership problem,. In his mind he sees me at the top, then himself then my mum. I say this because of the following behaviours; He looks to me when he starts to interact with anybody else, he sits and allows me to walk through a door before him, he does not take his eyes off me until I give the signal to eat his meal, he NEVER barks at me for attention, never does he beg from me at the kitchen table, it's just the little things that I now take for granted. But I always makle sure I praise him for doing the right thing, even if it's just a good sit. I have worked really hard to instill this respect, and I don't expect my 81 year mother to do the same, but it would be nice if she could drink a cup of coffee without me in the room and not have Micky bark at her! Mum thinks that a swift whack will pull him into line, but I have explained to her that by his behaviour it is obvious that violence has been used in the past to reprimand and now if physical reprimand is used, he retaliates with aggression. So the ONLY method we use is positive reinforcement. I also train him using the clicker, which has proven to be a star dropped from heaven. Once Micky learnt how the clicker worked, he started to learn things so fast. I try hard not to confuse him by teaching him too many things at once. I try for accuracy, rather than quantity. I do find it hard at times with not being as mobile, it makes it difficult to be as fast as sometimes I know I should (that was the reason I was looking at the e-collar).

K9: The time your spending and the training he is picking up is helpful so well done there. I would stop the leaving the room though I think this is a poorly structured program given your family situation.

Again I would contact the behaviourist and ask if the program can be restructured to extinguish the problem another way (I can think of about a dozen ways off the top of my head).

K9: Look the e collar itself would not make this worse, it could be helpful and I feel the problems you have I could correct with the e collar very quickly, but, the problems you have listed here are fairly simple problems to correct without the need to go to the expense of an e collar and the training to go with it.

Doesnt mean you cant use one, doesnt mean that you cant decide to buy one and go that way, you have to do what is right for you and this might be the simplest way for you.

K9: Great stick to those games and if a tooth touches your hand, end the game instantly.

K9: I think if I had to get up (up to 5 times so far I think you said) to stop the dog barking at me, I dont think I would want to do that unless I saw it was reducing the behaviour fast (which I guess it isnt as your here looking for help) and I am not 81.

Like I said do what is best for you, but I would start by contacting the person you paid to help and seek some follow up, if you find no success or they cannot restructure the program, then by all means shoot me an email and I will see if I can help... :thumbsup:

K9, please suggest what you would do. You said you had a few solutions that you think would work. I'll give anything a go at the moment. I just want my mum to have a quiet life, instead of being hassled by a fury, four-legged tyrant!

I am afraid the e-collar might enhance that reprimand/aggression. What do you think? I've heard people speaking about suppression of behaviours?

Anybody???Any ideas?????

What about a squirt of water from a squirty bottle????????

Edited by Guest