New Puppy A Healing Tool For Grief

heroeswit

As most of you probably know I have a new puppy (white shepherd) and she is great. she is a little ball of energy and happiness but what I wasn't expecting was that she would help so much with dealing with my fathers death.

He died 18 mths ago and I haven't been able to move on since then, the puppy I got was his dream dog so I thought it would be really hard to cope with. Since I got the puppy I have been feeling so much better and eating healthy and for the first time in years I am losing weight.

I never in a million years expected that getting this puppy could change my lifestyle or help with dealing with grief but it has.

So I was just wondering how many people have bought a dog after the passing of someone close to them and it has brought a hole new lease on life when they were stuck in the bottom of a deep hole?

So sorry to hear about your Dad, and so glad that your puppy is helping you cope with the grief.

I lost my partner of 29 years to cancer just over a year ago and Pele, my 5 year old Bull Terrier has been a great comfort in helping me cope with the grief and financial mess. Also my mother died suddenly of a stroke in February. I don't know what I'd do without Pele :eek: We still have to go to the beach and park every day to meet up with our friends and to obedience training so I can't just mope at home. At night we cuddle up on the couch together and life doesn't seem so bad, she's a great little mate :)

Glad to hear this dwilds and bully - dogs give so much for very little in return. I'm pleased to hear that both of you have had a comforting experience due to your dogs (and having a much healthier lifestyle to boot!!). Keep up the good work both of you and I hope with time, your life grief goes away or at least fades.

Yes absolutely understand. I lost my father to cancer a few years ago. Knowing I had Raf to come home to and relying on me to still do the regular everyday stuff with him was the only thing that kept me sane, and gave me a schedule (walks and feeding) when the rest of my life was upside down.

His little sister came along a year and a bit after Dad - she was just what we both needed. Laughs and playtime everyday in my house with my two little characters.

Yesterday is always a hard day for me but I try not to dwell on it. A big walk with the ratbags in the morning to clear my head got me in a good head space for the rest of the day :eek:

Animals are the best therapy.

I haven't lost anyone, but they helped me cope when work was too much and my parents moved interstate.

A lot of our palliative pts ask to see their pets, its quite sweet to watch the bond come to life.

Glad to hear you're starting to feel better after such a tradgedy :eek: Hope it continues, and your new puppy gives you lots of dog kisses and love!

I lost my parents a while ago now, but still feel the loss and know it has contributed to my anxiety now. I got my dog two years ago and he is such a great little mate and seems to know when I am fragile. Getting outside to take him for a walk is great... Glad to hear dwilds and bulli how you have gotten thru, and others too. I agree, owning a dog is so healing

hi dwilds

sorry to hear about your dad, 18 months is not long in grief time so hang in there

I rescued my little foxy after my younger brother died, I really wasnt doing too well and knew I

needed something more. She changed my life, gave me a purpose, made me smile again :)

It was so hard when she had to leave for the bridge just 2 days before christmas last year.

I hope your new puppy will make your heart sing just like Callie did for me

take care

I am glad to hear your new puppy is helping with the healing process Dwilds.

We had to pts our 9 year old Berman Cat just a couple of weeks after my brother passed away a few years ago. Losing Bronson on top of my brother was very hard for my other brother and I, so mum suggested we look at getting a kitten. I never thought we would get another pet so soon after losing one, we had always waited long periods between pets. However the addition of Tyler and Rory helped immensely during this time as it gave us something to get up for each day.

I am glad to hear that you and the other posters have also found comfort in the addition (or the existence) of a new fur family member.