Sparring Breeds In The Show Ring

poodlefan

Absolutely, the Fartbucket is excellent at sparring! As is Finn, especially when he sees his girlfriend, Izzy the whippet. I have threatened to buy him a pair of point shoes as he stands right up on the tip of his toe nails. I love watching him 'on the edge of expectation'.

Does the Russian supermodel know about this?? :laugh:

Is that Jen Johnson's Izzy?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Absolutely, the Fartbucket is excellent at sparring! As is Finn, especially when he sees his girlfriend, Izzy the whippet. I have threatened to buy him a pair of point shoes as he stands right up on the tip of his toe nails. I love watching him 'on the edge of expectation'.

Does the Russian supermodel know about this?? :)

:thumbsup:

Yes, she does. Gossip gets around. She just shrugged - so many more fish in the sea. :thumbsup:

Does the Russian supermodel know about this?? :)

:thumbsup:

Yes, she does. Gossip gets around. She just shrugged - so many more fish in the sea. :thumbsup:

Quite a few TALLER ones too. :)

Edited by poodlefan

I'd call that double handling.

+1

I was told that double handling was when a person outside the ring tried to get the dogs attention etc. Given that this case is a dog outside the ring, would it still be called double handling?

ETA. Also wondering how a complaint would work. The other person could just say they were watching the judging while hanging on to a dog. And of course deny the noises they were making to attract the exhibit.

Edited by BittyMooPeeb

+1

I was told that double handling was when a person outside the ring tried to get the dogs attention etc. Given that this case is a dog outside the ring, would it still be called double handling?

ETA. Also wondering how a complaint would work. The other person could just say they were watching the judging while hanging on to a dog. And of course deny the noises they were making to attract the exhibit.

I would still call it double handling but yes hard to prove!

+1

Double handling is still double handling whether it happens inside or outside of the ring. I often make use of another exhibitor baiting their dog or making noises that attracts their dogs attention (and mine). If my dog wants to pay attention to another exhibitor and isn't interested in paying attention to me, I would be stupid not to make use of it. Technically it is double handling but try and prove it, same as having someone outside of the ring double handling, very difficult to prove.

I have seen an exhibitor do what people have described as sparring, but with a dog outside the ring. A cohort brings the other dog to ringside in a position that faces the terrier in the General Specials line up and they become alert and eyeball each other etc.

It would be interesting to know if this is allowed, or if it is double handling?? It is very unnerving being the toy between two terriers who are doing this!! Especially when the terrier exhibitor keeps moving right up behind the toy, forcing them forward, so that the two terriers can get closer together.

Yep. Definitely double handling.

The steward should be aware of this and ask that the outside dog be removed.

The steward can also ask the dog in the ring to leave.

I beleive the term double handling implies and referres to the deliberate use of something outside the ring to attempt to make the dog inside the ring appear more attentive. The word deliberate comes to play here and should be remembered. If my dog catches sight of something outside the ring that was simply a good chance for focus, it is not double handling. If I instruct someone to stand in a certain spot, walk a dog past or generally create the attraction, this is double handling.

It is pure good chance that a dog catches sight of something outside the ring when it was never planned, and as a result shows its focus and attention. This happened to me frequently when my GP's saw a Manchester or similar looking dog outside the ring or in the next ring. They lived with them and I'm sure when they saw one, figured 'mum' had brought one along and didn't tell them! It's not double handling unless I've told the owner of that dog to be in a certain spot at a certain time, and move to make sure the dog remains focused.

There have been many cases of exhibitors accused of double handling when in fact it was just timing. I had this recently happen to me, when I was in the ring with my pinscher and the German Shepherds were in the ring adjacent. My dog saw her 'dad' and stood on her toes...she saw the shepherds and figured they were part of her mob and REALLY stood on her toes, tail wagging etc. yes it looked great....until her dad (with the boy I usually show) was made to go around the ring, and as he ran by, my girl decided that it looked fun and she was going to run with dad too!! (amazing how such a small dog can have so much power and pull at the end of a lead!) Because she couldn't go with him....her focus was lost because she then threw a tantrum, refusing to stand still, face the right way or do much of anything...even so much as spitting out the bait I offered....in this case, unintentional double handling which worked great at first, backfired badly in the end! I was still accused of doubling though...funny, we must have had a lot of pull to arrange to be in the rings at exactly the same time and pull it off!! :thumbsup: