Evie, Little Bear

Sagittarian

It's taken a few days for me to write this, and I have to thank some wonderful people who have been pillars of strength and comfort - including but not confined to my husband, Ian, and our sons; my sisters and step mum; Indidog (who rocks); Jed; Toohey; plus Lois, Di, Amy, Jarryd & Jillian from work.

This week we said goodbye to our beautiful Saint, Evie. When my first Saint came into my life in 1978, her breeder as my mentor encouraged me to visualise my ideal dog. Evie was that dog. It took many years and refining of bloodlines until her litter came along, which also contained several other noteable pups.

Evie was an incredibly easy going girl - particularly in her later years - similar to her grandfather, Mitchell. She loved the family, got on with every dog that she met, and adored her auntie Penny. When Penny passed away, Evie adapted to being the only dog and shared her time between the back deck and her nighttime sleeping quarters.

Her time in the showring was memorable, with many dreams wins - many at a time when Saint challenges were worth big points. Quite often, even from puppy days, she and her brother Langley would take both challenges over what was very good competition. At under two years of age, she won Runner Up in Group at Sunbury Dog Show in a downpour, over more than 400 entries. Langley took class in group at the same show. She won multiple best & ru in shows - open all breeds and at specialties. Last year, aged almost 10, she competed in the Veteran's Sweepstakes at Sunbury and thoroughly enjoyed the outing.

We keep looking for her. The magpies, who always shared her meals, look for her. The memories will always live on of this gentle lady, who could be a stubborn old bitch at times. :-)

Apart from Penny, and her beloved brother Langley, Evie most loved TBCSITW, and once he left this life, she had no one to sit with and share old hunting stories. Now, they can seek out the blue men together and hopefully someone, in that realm, knows how to use a blender.

We thank those who loved Evie, who competed against Evie, who judged Evie. We thank Evie for being in our lives, and I thank her for being my perfect Saint.

Evie was Champion Portway Tucker's Daughter.

Phillipa & family

So sorry for your loss Sagittarian :laugh: Run free at the bridge Evie :vomit:

Here is another of my favourite poems...

Beyond The Rainbow

As much as I loved the life we had and all the times we played,

I was so very tired and knew my time on earth would fade.

I saw a wondrous image then of a place that's trouble-free

Where all of us can meet again to spend eternity.

I saw the most beautiful Rainbow, and on the other side

Were meadows rich and beautiful -- lush and green and wide!

And running through the meadows as far as the eye could see

Were animals of every sort as healthy as could be!

My own tired, failing body was fresh and healed and new

And I wanted to go run with them, but I had something left to do.

I needed to reach out to you, to tell you I'm alright

That this place is truly wonderful, then a bright Glow pierced the night.

'Twas the Glow of many Candles shining bright and strong and bold

And I knew then that it held your love in its brilliant shades of gold.

For although we may not be together in the way we used to be,

We are still connected by a cord no eye can see.

So whenever you need to find me, we're never far apart

If you look beyond the Rainbow and listen with your heart.

We called in at the shop on Friday and heard the sad news, very sorry for your loss, Phillipa. Evie looked so happy at Sunbury last year, she did enjoy her day back in the Veterans class.

Fabio sends you big poodle kisses.

Regards,

Marlene, Caroline and the Poodle Pack.

OMG I am so very sorry for your loss Phillipa and Ian and that the time has come for Evie to go to the bridge :eek::eek::laugh::)

May she live forever in your hearts and fill your minds with beautiful memories.

RIP beautiful Evie and happy Smurf hunting over the bridge :)

Thank you... all of you.

Each and every word and thought is deeply appreciated. We've also had some beautiful private messages and emails and had never realised that Evie had touched so many people over the years.

I forgot to thank our amazing vet - Russell, from Gisborne Vet Clinic. He brought her into the world via c-section, and was there when she closed her eyes a final time. He saved her life when she had pyo a few years ago, and has been a great comfort to us.

Phillipa

• 2 weeks later...