Dog Food

Pet Supplies Aus

Hi we are looking to expand our range of dog foods and would appreciate any recommendations of great products. We are particularly interested in if people belive organic food is worth the extra cost

What sort of organic food are we talking about?? Kibble or chilled foods??

I'd be interested in a decent Ozmade premium organic kibble. It wouldn't be cheap to produce but I'd pay for it. :laugh:

depends how price comparable it is and can you guarentee the ingredients. Also will you end up having to import ingredients to meet demand? I wont buy a food that shuffles ingredients to keep the price constant.

Will it be reasonable for people who, like me, have multiple large/giant dogs? 24kg, 50kg, 60kg dog that need at least one meal a day?

It depends. I bought organic orange jiuce yesterday that had preservatives in it. I am far more concerned about the additives than the organic nature of the base content. For me to buy it, it would have to be artificial additive free.

It depends. I bought organic orange jiuce yesterday that had preservatives in it. I am far more concerned about the additives than the organic nature of the base content. For me to buy it, it would have to be artificial additive free.

hmm, interesting!

i understood organic to mean something entirely different --- definitely, artificial additive free at the very least!

organics have a higher loss rate. You cannot use commercial pesticides, fungacides, herbacides etc and hence you produce less or have greater losses. Same with free range eggs and some meats. There is less of it to reach retail/wholesale hence the price goes up.

eta organic has to do with the process of the ingredients. Since not all preservatives are synthetic products there isnt a problem with putting them in manufactured foods to remain fresh. Without them most food would spoil by the time it reached the shelves or a few hours after you opened the packet

Edited by Nekhbet

organics have a higher loss rate. You cannot use commercial pesticides, fungacides, herbacides etc and hence you produce less or have greater losses. Same with free range eggs and some meats. There is less of it to reach retail/wholesale hence the price goe sup.

right then, understood...

organics have a higher loss rate. You cannot use commercial pesticides, fungacides, herbacides etc and hence you produce less or have greater losses. Same with free range eggs and some meats. There is less of it to reach retail/wholesale hence the price goes up.

eta organic has to do with the process of the ingredients. Since not all preservatives are synthetic products there isnt a problem with putting them in manufactured foods to remain fresh. Without them most food would spoil by the time it reached the shelves or a few hours after you opened the packet

Agree - but it depends on the fine print. If an orange juice says "Made with organic oranges" it doesn't mean that it is organic orange juice - just that the oranges used to make it are organic. The preservative used for this juice was 220 - which is a synthetic sulphide.

What I'm saying is I'd buy organic pet food, but not "pet food made with organic meat and lots of other crap but we'll call it Nature's Way or something and you won't read the fine print".

Hi we are looking to expand our range of dog foods and would appreciate any recommendations of great products. We are particularly interested in if people belive organic food is worth the extra cost

I'd be interested in a decent Ozmade premium organic kibble. It wouldn't be cheap to produce but I'd pay for it. :laugh:

How can you be 100% sure that you would be getting exactly what you are paying for? I wouldnt be so sure given that the pet food industry has no regulating body keeping an eye on things, they're pretty much their own boss and can get away with bullshit.

How can you be 100% sure that you would be getting exactly what you are paying for? I wouldnt be so sure given that the pet food industry has no regulating body keeping an eye on things, they're pretty much their own boss and can get away with bullshit.

I couldn't be. . That's why checking out bona fides is important.

If you think a regulating body is a magic bullet for quality think again. There are any number of scandals in sectors subject to regulation. Pan Pharmaceuticals anyone?

Edited by poodlefan

I guess it depends on your area, the availability of good quality non-certified pet meat and whether your customers will pay that bit extra.

I know one organic pet food lady and her business is her life's work. And her customers appreciate having the organic option for their pets despite the costs.

We are in an area where people DO seek alternatives to absolutely everything as well as supportive 'alternative therapies' when their pets are unwell (we also have two organic markets on weekends which are extremely popular).

If the brand you're thinking makes organic treats as well I'd stock them to start with - maybe at the counter to get a bit more interest or a feel for people's reactions?

Yes I think it's worth the extra - both for myself and my dog - we both eat 99% organic. Often the organic option isn't that much more expensive than the regular option - depends on where you source it from.

There is an organic range of dry kibble (and also a vegan range) - I haven't tried them but for those who might be interested, here is the link

http://www.biopetonline.com.au/index.html

Yes I think it's worth the extra - both for myself and my dog - we both eat 99% organic. Often the organic option isn't that much more expensive than the regular option - depends on where you source it from.

There is an organic range of dry kibble (and also a vegan range) - I haven't tried them but for those who might be interested, here is the link

http://www.biopetonline.com.au/index.html

the price looks ok but i cant find an ingredient list unfortunately