Help Max Won't Stop Humping Winston!

Cuchulain

We started a new class (Beginner's Obedience) in Jeffreys Bay about a month ago. There are 5 of us in the class, ages vary from 8 months to 3 years. Max is now just over a year old and has developed an attraction (I don't know how else to put it!) to another dog in the class. Winston is a neutered 18-month-old Boerboel X who was, at the beginning of the class, terrified of his own shadow. Max is a 1 year-old Rhodesian Ridgeback.

Last week it was so bad that the following day, having spoken with Max's breeder, I had Max castrated. I was originally supposed to wait until he was 14-18 months old - something to do with completing his growth. Now, I know it will take a minimum of 3 or 4 weeks before the testosterone begins to stop ruling his brain and probably a lot longer before it is no longer part of the equation, but my current problem is that I can do no off-lead work at all in class. This morning Max did a perfect sit stay but on the recall he hesitated before getting up and moving directly to Winston at the far of the line and trying have a quickie before I roared up to him and removed him.

We go to another class in Port Elizabeth on a Sunday and Max does not do this at that class. There are dogs there with whom he loves to play but he has never humped any of them. What should I be doing in the JBay class to stop this? I'm open to all suggestions please. :eek:

Absolutely don't allow this behaviour for a minute or there'll be a fight. It may not be about sex but domination, neither is acceptable. He should not go off lead until he can behave completely. It does take about 2 months for testosterone to go, that's my understanding. It may not be that though - I've got a new foster female that is a serial humper - she has to be kept separate from my other dogs because at 2.5 kilos, she could get hurt in a scrap caused by her dominant behaviour.

At our dog obedience club beginners are never allowed off lead, especially after only 4 weeks. You have to progress through all the classes to get to a high level to do offlead work.

When its time for the recall exercise can you use a longer lead. Most clubs have some equipment you can borrow or maybe just for that exercise use of those extender leads and then he wont get tangled when coming to you.

There are all sorts of distractions at a dog training ground including dropped food, other dogs to play with, other dogs barking so he needs to learn that you are much more exciting than wanting to dominate another dog. Do you use treats in class?? Maybe reward him super big time and he will then think its much better idea to come straight to you. I dont think you are supposed to get cross at them, especially for the recall or they will never think you are better than the distraction.

I'm sorry to tell you this but its entirely possible that desexing Max will make absolutley no change whatsoever to this behaviour. This is about dominance and it sounds like Max has decided that Winston can be pushed around.

I'd have a long line on him rather than have him offlead and I would be totally on top of any moves towards Winston. I'm sure that will make Winston's owner very happy. It might also prevent a fight.

Thanks guys :rofl: Max has been going to "school" since November last year at the PE Kennel Club and had been doing really well. We had been doing recalls off-lead from about 7m without problems since June. Then I thought since the same club (different Instructor) were offering classes in my town I would add an extra class. Enter Winston :rofl: Max is now firmly back on lead where he will remain until I can sort this out. Poodlefan, I am aware that castration may make no difference but since he has a no-breeding registration it was going to be done anyway I just did it sooner than the breeder would have liked me to. The Instructor hasn't really been much help in resolving the issue since - she keeps saying they're playing but I can see the difference in his body-language - he isn't playing! Yesterday an 8-month-old GSD male started the same thing with Winston and I'm feeling guilty that he learned from Max.

I am going to get a lunge rein from the riding shop for using on the beach, I will use that for recalls for now.

Thanks guys :rofl: Max has been going to "school" since November last year at the PE Kennel Club and had been doing really well. We had been doing recalls off-lead from about 7m without problems since June. Then I thought since the same club (different Instructor) were offering classes in my town I would add an extra class. Enter Winston :rofl: Max is now firmly back on lead where he will remain until I can sort this out. Poodlefan, I am aware that castration may make no difference but since he has a no-breeding registration it was going to be done anyway I just did it sooner than the breeder would have liked me to. The Instructor hasn't really been much help in resolving the issue since - she keeps saying they're playing but I can see the difference in his body-language - he isn't playing! Yesterday an 8-month-old GSD male started the same thing with Winston and I'm feeling guilty that he learned from Max.

I am going to get a lunge rein from the riding shop for using on the beach, I will use that for recalls for now.

Your instructor needs to learn a bit more about dog behaviour IMO. Its about power not play. Don't feel guilty about the GSD. Winston clearly gives off a vibe that lets alpha wannabes think they have a good chance of dominating him.

Edited by poodlefan

Max considers other dogs to be far more interesting than anything I could possibly offer. He is not food driven - even not feeding him breakfast before class doesn't help! I do struggle to get him to pay attention to me when there are other dogs around and I have enrolled for a clicker-training class (one-on-one) to see if I can learn anything which may help with my problems. Since Max is my first dog he is at a disadvantage because I am learning as we go and boy, has it been a steep learning curve! I can honestly say, in-spite of the problems, Max is still the best thing that ever happened to me.

Max considers other dogs to be far more interesting than anything I could possibly offer. He is not food driven - even not feeding him breakfast before class doesn't help! I do struggle to get him to pay attention to me when there are other dogs around and I have enrolled for a clicker-training class (one-on-one) to see if I can learn anything which may help with my problems. Since Max is my first dog he is at a disadvantage because I am learning as we go and boy, has it been a steep learning curve! I can honestly say, in-spite of the problems, Max is still the best thing that ever happened to me.

Hi there,

I take it from your original post that you are from RSA? I was from there myself, been here 2 years now. I have a similar problem with my lab, he humps most large breed male dogs that are younger than him - I tell him off each time he does it and he does seem to be doing it less and less. Dont know what else I can do to be honest.

Edited to add that I had ridgebacks before my lab and I battled to get their attention off other dogs - with my lab I am able to get him a lot more motivated with food than I could with the ridgies.

Edited by Mas1981

:rofl: yes, Mas I'm in South Africa. :rofl: Hmm, while my ridgie is awesome I think it was, how shall I put this? A challenging choice for a first time owner? LOL I wouldn't swap him for the world but getting his attention when there are other dogs around is troublesome to say the least!