Notice to Members

Victorian Canine Association Inc

trading as DOGS Victoria

DOGS Victoria (03) 9788 2500 [email protected]

16 September 2010

Re: Puppy Farm Rally

A “Puppy Farm Awareness” rally has been scheduled on the steps of Parliament

house for Sunday, 19 September at noon. Much discussion has occurred amongst

DOGS Victoria members - Do we join this rally or not?

One thing that all members agree on is that they are against puppy farming,

irresponsible dog breeding and any situation that compromises the welfare of dogs.

DOGS Victoria has worked over the years to develop a positive working

relationship with the state government. An example of this communication can be

seen in the email from the Minister‟s office to DOGS Victoria CE Elizabeth White.

This email outlines very clearly that DOGS Victoria members have and will

continue to enjoy exemption as the government tightens up legislation in an effort

to put an end to puppy farming.

Members will be pleased to note that within the state regulations DOGS Victoria is

currently the ONLY canine-associated body granted the status of „approved

organisation‟ which currently includes exemption from council desexing regulations

as well as exemption from the proposed breeding requirements.

Additionally DOGS Victoria was recently invited to make a presentation at an

RSPCA seminar on the topic of puppy farming.

DOGS Victoria has decided not to have an official presence at this rally. Rather we

will continue to communicate with the government and other relevant organisations

through the channels we already have in place. And we will continue our efforts to

educate consumers on how to responsibly source their next family pet.

Individual members and clubs will make their own decision about attending this

rally.

The upcoming state elections will give DOGS Victoria and its members the

opportunity to lobby strongly on this issue. Members are encouraged to question

their local candidates on dog-related topics.

To assist with this, DOGS Victoria has set up a section of the website and a

Facebook page. Additionally, each copy of the October DOGS Victoria magazine

will include a car sticker stating: I own a dog and I vote.

All members will have the opportunity to further address the issue of limiting puppy

farming activities at the Members Forum scheduled for Sunday, 24 October at

2:00pm at Bulla.

We hope to see you there!

I wonder why they said no to give the presentation ?

Sounds like an ideal opportunity to represent their members, help educate the public & help prevent animal cruelty.

Anyone know the reason ? :thumbsup:

Maybe they are viewing it as a protest, and because they are already "close" with the government, they don't want to look like they are protesting against them. :D

That is just a guess at a reason.

Maybe they are viewing it as a protest, and because they are already "close" with the government, they don't want to look like they are protesting against them. :thumbsup:

That is just a guess at a reason.

If that is the case and the reason then let’s hope that the Labour government get elected in Nov, BUT in saying that the Labour Gov, has already” brought so many "new" and some hidden dog laws into Vic over a very short period of time do we REALLY WANT or NEED them in power again. DO we really need anyone having dialogue with a Govn. that keeps bringing into legislation against ANKC breeders…… I think not??? So maybe it is just a change of Govn that we all really need in Victoria??

Funny how if one is a member of Dogs Victoria, one will basically have permission to be a puppy farmer

That is a whole other debate.

If they had legal power to enforce the code of ethics, which would start with them having the right to inspect breeders home conditions, things would be different However

They are what victoria has, the alternative is for registered breeders to not be exempt from the desexing rule. Then what ?

The question was

Why have they said no to this opportunity ? Just really curious as to the reasoning behind the refusal.

Still going very much :thumbsup:

My question was why a good opportunity to help stop puppy farms & promote pedigree registered breeders was turned down.

How many litters (as long as its not 1 over bred bitch ) & if they register them is the least of the dog welfare issue.

The conditions they are kept in, the life they have, if health testing is done, good food & vet care, if they keep track of dogs bred & ensure as much as is possible that they go to good homes & to breed to a good standard etc are more important than just how many & registration.

Also many dogs do have a wonderful life without being shown or participating in organised activities.

thats why the VCA were calling on members to put forth ideas on how to deal with puppy farmers within our ranks. thats why they have this forum coming up at Bulla on the 24th of Oct? so it looks like they are trying to manage this issue and need members input. i believe that many wrote in to CEO and others and asked VCA to do something about farmers in the registered circle and this is their response to it all. :thumbsup:

it would be good if the VCA also put in why they have chosen to not participate in the rally to its members instead of just saying, we have chosen not to participate and no explanation, :D i totally agree

Edited by toy dog

The code of ethics is nothing but a crock

in the gazette every month i read about some breeders getting fines from the VCA or having their m/ship suspended because they've bred a bitch too many times or under age. they name and shame the people and its been many that i've known for lots of years too.

Sounds like an ideal opportunity to represent their members, help educate the public & help prevent animal cruelty.

Anyone know the reason ? :thumbsup:

Maybe it's because there's not really much that sets the average registered breeder apart from BYB & puppy farmer. The only thing I see that sets them apart is a piece of paper that comes along with the dog.

They'll just have egg on their face if they go along.

Everyone at Oscar's Law is shocked to hear the decision of DOGS Victoria not to unite with almost 60 animal welfare organisations, shelters and rescue groups at Sunday's Puppy Farm Awareness Day. What is DOGS Vic therefore saying to the public - that they DO support puppy factories? What do they have to hide? DOGS Vic. needs to reconsider this ill-advised decision immediately. Let them know what you think......

Anyone know the reason ? :eek:

Possibly because DogsVic wants to retain the right to disagree with the RSPCA legistlation regarding puppy farming.

Why should DV attend the rally, they represent vic pedigree breeders and their dogs, not the rspca.

DV can stand on their own as a dog welfare representative body as can the rspca.

Edited by lilli

The rally is organised by Oscar's Law. www.oscarslaw.org The RSPCA is just one of the many organisations who will be showing their support to Oscar on the day.

It must be noted that DOGS Vic sent a brilliant key speaker to the recent invite only RSPCA Puppy Factories conference here in Victoria. Are DOGS Vic taking back everything that this speaker has said? (I believe that she is very upset at DOGS Vic not supporting or attending Oscars day)

It is sad to think that the founder of Oscars Law has always supported registered breeders and DOGS Vic but when it comes time for them to support her they are no where to be seen. It is also sad that there are thousands of dogs with DOGS Vic pedigree papers in puppy factories, being sold to to overseas petshop brokers and coming through the doors of rescue organisations on a daily basis.

The rally is organised by Oscar's Law. www.oscarslaw.org The RSPCA is just one of the many organisations who will be showing their support to Oscar on the day.

It must be noted that DOGS Vic sent a brilliant key speaker to the recent invite only RSPCA Puppy Factories conference here in Victoria. Are DOGS Vic taking back everything that this speaker has said? (I believe that she is very upset at DOGS Vic not supporting or attending Oscars day)

It is sad to think that the founder of Oscars Law has always supported registered breeders and DOGS Vic but when it comes time for them to support her they are no where to be seen. It is also sad that there are thousands of dogs with DOGS Vic pedigree papers in puppy factories, being sold to to overseas petshop brokers and coming through the doors of rescue organisations on a daily basis.

She is upset, her comment on facebook was

Sylvia Power

So it seems that all the support and enthusiasm for the DOGS Victoria presentation that I gave at the RSPCA Puppy Farms Seminar has evaporated. Rather than having the courage to publicly stand up for what we all (well, most of us....) believe in, DOGS Victoria has collapsed under the weight of the expectations brought on by all the political hidden agendas that seem to control and frustrate our every move in this organisation these days.

I think more because recently a puppy farmer was outed as being a DogsVic member and AFAIK ... they're still members

The fact that they're not holding up their end of the COE bargain to maintain a professional level for all their members

this rally has nothing to do with the RSPCA they will just be there

I think more because recently a puppy farmer was outed as being a DogsVic member and AFAIK ... they're still members

The fact that they're not holding up their end of the COE bargain to maintain a professional level for all their members

this rally has nothing to do with the RSPCA they will just be there

Dogs Vic IMO have much to answer for. What is AFAIK?

So maybe it is just a change of Govn that we all really need in Victoria??

Well, according to Ted Bailleau in yesterdays Age, the Libs will give the RSPCA draconian powers to seize dogs etc. - does anyone really want THAT?

The Labour has already given the "COUNCIL" officers power to come into your property and seize dogs.

The Labour Gov, has already brought in Hereditary disease legislation, that only affects pure bred dogs. .

The Labour Gov brought in a code of practice that only affects “pure breed dogs

The Labour Gov. slipped in not being able to show or exhibit illegally debarked dog- which only affects Pure bred dogs.

So you tell me where has the Labour Gov. done any favours to the pure bred dog world!!!

So if the Liberals can bring in or enforce the laws already in place for Puppy Factories and stamp out these people who are cruel, and churning out puppies like there is no tomorrow then so be it. Banksia Park was also interviewed and they stated they have bred over 2000 puppies this year… !! also on their website it states the following, http://www.banksiaparkpuppies.com/new/life...k/daily-routine

6.00am – New Puppies

The day starts at Banksia Park at 6.00am with an overall inspection of the newborn nursery to see if there have been any new arrivals during the night. Any new litters are tended to first; this involves bathing the new mum, replacing the bedding and ensuring all of the new puppies are cleaned up and drinking.

so tell me where they are looking after and helping any of their bitches if they get into trouble whelping. Poor bitches could be straining ALL night with NO help being offered. And that is only ONE of the Puppy Farms.

So if you think that this practice is OK, then I totally disagree.

At the Rally the only topic that was spoken about was the people who are breeding huge amounts of dogs and the poor bitches being bred time and time again, sorry I can’t condone that practice. No dog was put on earth to support humans by being used as breeding machines.

Anyone know the reason ? :)

Maybe it's because there's not really much that sets the average registered breeder apart from BYB & puppy farmer. The only thing I see that sets them apart is a piece of paper that comes along with the dog.

They'll just have egg on their face if they go along.

What sets the registered breeder apart from a puppy farm is intent and attitude. These dictate how breeding and care of the dogs is undertaken. Anyone who visits a registered breeder (probably to buy a pup) can readily ascertain that.

poodiful1

Funny how if one is a member of Dogs Victoria, one will basically have permission to be a puppy farmer

Permission and the act are not necessarily linked together. You have, by signing off on the articles of membership, broken an oath if you are a pf.

Ethics make the difference.

At the Rally the only topic that was spoken about was the people who are breeding huge amounts of dogs and the poor bitches being bred time and time again, sorry I can’t condone that practice. No dog was put on earth to support humans by being used as breeding machines.

Pam, where are these huge numbers of puppies?

Who has the microchipping database?

Put the numbers on the table and then some of these claims might be more believable.

The advertisements for puppies in newspapers has almost disappeared over the last few years.

I don't see pet shops overflowing with puppies and I don't see anywhere the numbers of puppies in rescue situations ..... certainly nothing like the numbers that we saw say 15 years ago.

Puppy mills are disgusting places and I have no argument with all breeders being licensed and subject to regulations. I support that model.

What I cannot support is emotive claims that cannot be backed up with facts and are claims that are likely to lead to politicians rushing through legislation that is designed to do nothing other than capture the "popular vote".

We have seen this happen before and we dont want to see it happen again.

Dogs deserve better than to be the pawns of politicians.

Souff