Professional Trainer Needed For Blind Person

Tapua

But noooo people wanted to talk about the cancer - presume I was going to die, how terrible it was being in a wheelchair.... blah blah ... and still they didnt bring the bloody milk!! :D all I needed was the bloody milk :thumbsup:

:) No advice and completely off topic but I (under completely different circustances, but still the same level of frustration) know EXACTLY how you feel.

I knew a man who had blindness and guide dogs and he always trained his own dogs. They were trained, then at 12 months or 18 months were sent to the Guide Dog Association for assessment and follow up and certification.

While it is not the conventional way it works, sometimes for people who have had guide dogs their whole life, they are very suitable for training their own dogs - even if they are blind :thumbsup:

Yup that is how he got his other dogs certified I asked him this afternoon - he also has Guide Dog trainers who he keeps in contact with and his partner has ADA dog. So it is disabilities united in his household.

But noooo people wanted to talk about the cancer - presume I was going to die, how terrible it was being in a wheelchair.... blah blah ... and still they didnt bring the bloody milk!! :D all I needed was the bloody milk :thumbsup:

:) No advice and completely off topic but I (under completely different circustances, but still the same level of frustration) know EXACTLY how you feel.

Takes all kinds to make the world spin ... there are just a few I'd like to push off it though :D Just kiddin folks! :cheer:

I could help with some advise and input, as I was/am in a similar situation to Michael. I don't want to discuss my health and disabilities on here, but I am well up to date with the work required to train your own guide dog/assistance dog, and the legal ramifications.

If you or Michael would like some input, please e-mail me at: [email protected]

Tapua,

I think the easiest way to find a trainer with experience in training guide dogs is to ring Guide Dogs Australia direct or get in touch with someone like Michael Tucker ..ex guide dog trainer who has, now and again , also trained guide dogs privately. He would be someone who could point you in the right direction .

Michael Tucker 03 9439 7577 . Email: [email protected]

Michael Tucker has been a dog trainer for over 50 years. His career started as a hobby. It led to training police dogs in the Royal Air Force, then 20 years training guide dogs for the blind in the U.K. and Australia,

Tapua,

I think the easiest way to find a trainer with experience in training guide dogs is to ring Guide Dogs Australia direct or get in touch with someone like Michael Tucker ..ex guide dog trainer who has, now and again , also trained guide dogs privately. He would be someone who could point you in the right direction .

Michael Tucker 03 9439 7577 . Email: [email protected]

Michael Tucker has been a dog trainer for over 50 years. His career started as a hobby. It led to training police dogs in the Royal Air Force, then 20 years training guide dogs for the blind in the U.K. and Australia,

Hi Tapferhund

Thanks for that information, two suitable trainers have been found 1 in Sydney and 1 in Newcastle. Micheal is directly linked with a Melbourne Guide Dog trainer who supports what he is doing and there is very experienced support. The Sydney trainer will probably be the accreditor. Michael is not only blind but is also physically disabled - he will eventually end up in a wheelchair (these details I didnt find out till the other day) so he doesnt fit the criterion as for a pre-tained Guide Dog or ADA dog. So the training will be unique and there is a definate need for the dog to be with him. As I have said in my previous posts I am just linking Michael with the trainer it is up to them to work out the details. But thanks for your information.

regards

Pauline