Outside Training

thomo84

We have a new Golden Retreiver Puppy, 1 week home and we are trying to train him to be ok outside. He is very attached to us/humans and when outside will start crying, jumping on the door and running between backdoor and sidedoor trying to get us to let him in.

He hasn't used his kennel as we have him sleep inside and was intending the kennel to be used so he would have something during the day when we both go back to work.

We have been told to put him out for 10minutes and then when quiet let him back in then keep making it longer and longer BUT after 5-10min he is still making noise and jumping on the screen door etc.

ANy advise would be great.

THanks

Give him his food outside ... give him BIG bones to play with outside ..and do NOT make eye contact with him, or tell him to 'shoosh' or anything when he is making noises ....he WILL stop eventually , THEN quietly and calmly let him in- no need to speak to him or anything.. just ignore him , but let him in.

i feel your pain - i am doing the exact same thing with my puppy & is really tough.

to add to this we have a glass sliding door & my husband forgot to close the screen door ontop of it twice now & the poor puppy has banged on it slightly - i nearly killed him for forgetting as i worried about the poor thing hurting her little head on the glass door while trying to get back in.

We are doing the same thing re not making a big deal about it & going out to let her know we are still here & let her back in at different intervals so she doesnt panic so much, but we have the same issues with crying & barking & it tends to go on & on until we let her back in. I think it will just take time before she gets used to it.

I hope it works out for both of us...fingers crossed.

yeah we have a glass sliding door as well and we have put a hard placstic accross the screen door so that we can't cut himself on the screen door but yes he has crashed into the glass door a couple of times.

We have tried today to introduce new "outdoor" toys for him to play with and bones work for soo long.

Its hard to listen to him cry all that time and it seems like it won't stop. We wait for a quiet period and then let him in and we don't make a big fuss about it either. He is attending puppy pre school on saturdays so hopefully that will help.

Leave the door open.I gather pup doesn't have its own access in or out so at present its one or the other.

I would allow the pup more opportunity to take itself outside on it's terms than you specifically shut it out.

The pup will soon learn that your action body language means something isn't right.

Leave the door open & do lots of outside non specific jobs where you don't acknowledge the dog,just go about your own business come in/out but leave the door open.

Your pup would have been use to the outside world with it's breeder so it isn't an experience that is new just not having the "company"

Leave the door open.I gather pup doesn't have its own access in or out so at present its one or the other.

I would allow the pup more opportunity to take itself outside on it's terms than you specifically shut it out.

The pup will soon learn that your action body language means something isn't right.

Leave the door open & do lots of outside non specific jobs where you don't acknowledge the dog,just go about your own business come in/out but leave the door open.

Your pup would have been use to the outside world with it's breeder so it isn't an experience that is new just not having the "company"

I can vouch for this. My puppy became more independent when I started leaving the back door open during the day. It also helped with his toilet training too as he now goes to the toilet outside by himself.

We have a new Golden Retreiver Puppy, 1 week home and we are trying to train him to be ok outside. He is very attached to us/humans and when outside will start crying, jumping on the door and running between backdoor and sidedoor trying to get us to let him in.

He hasn't used his kennel as we have him sleep inside and was intending the kennel to be used so he would have something during the day when we both go back to work.

We have been told to put him out for 10minutes and then when quiet let him back in then keep making it longer and longer BUT after 5-10min he is still making noise and jumping on the screen door etc.

ANy advise would be great.

THanks

We had a similar issue with our gundog pup,

And I found what worked best, was to make the kennel a really fun place to be.

So -- everytime I leave for work which is twice a week, i put a kong stuffed with treats and peanut butter in his kennel and make him drop or sit in the kennel first and he loves it and is distracted while I leave and lock up.

I also made sure the kennel is warm and soft with blankets and bedding, our Pup sleeps inside in the laundry still, but during the day he knows the kennel is for outside and he loves the kennel.

He is 14 weeks now, and will sometimes cry as a i leave, but he stops after 2minutes, I know it's soo difficult leaving and I felt soo guilty leaving while he was wailing and putting on a HUGE show outside.

I also left cardboard boxes outside and he would sometimes be distracted with chewing them and not notice me sneaking out.

Our puppy school taught us also not to make a big deal when you come home from work and just ignore and be calm, so he learns that you leaving and coming is not a big deal.

GOOD LUCK!!!