Dr. Chris Brown On 7pm Project Tuesday Night...

Fevah

I agree with Nekhbet. Chris Brown was way out of his depth. As we all know he sadly paraded a PP puppy on TV a while back and Ch 10 copped a lot of heat from animal lovers. They even pulled the segment off Youtube, such was the outrage. Perhaps he needed to repair his image somewhat. Can it be that this is the 'informed' TV vet we are now seeing??? There is no way, holding that puppy he did not know about breeding practices of animals in Petshops whether they be from a factory or a BYB.

At least we can take comfort that it would have hit a wide audience again, and if we need Chris Brown on the front of the vehicle like a Ken Doll then so be it! :laugh:

I'm going to disagree with this. I think you'd be surprised at how many people actually have no idea puppy farms exist. I didn't until DOL. My boss didn't until me, as with our other nurse we work with.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was pretty happy with it, coming from someone well known. I've been to a notorious puppy farm, but couldn't get footage. I tell people what I saw, but that's not the same impact as seeing it.

And I REALLY like Puppy factory.

Nekhbet,

I agree in part with you, BUT we are educated people, most of the general public are not, I thought it was a great piece & yes he might be a bit of a prat but A LOT of people really like him, so why not use his popularity to highlight this awful practice.

I thought he did a great job with it no matter what his motives are/were.

I also totally agree with this post :laugh:

I was quite tearful looking at those puppies with their (unhealthily) protuberant eyes, obvious anxiety and discomfort not to mention the 'unseen' health problems. I looked over at my beautiful 11 month old puppy who was raised with all the love in the world, lying on the floor with a full belly completely blissed out and thank my lucky stars for people like her breeders and places like DOL.

I agree with Nekhbet. Chris Brown was way out of his depth. As we all know he sadly paraded a PP puppy on TV a while back and Ch 10 copped a lot of heat from animal lovers. They even pulled the segment off Youtube, such was the outrage. Perhaps he needed to repair his image somewhat. Can it be that this is the 'informed' TV vet we are now seeing??? There is no way, holding that puppy he did not know about breeding practices of animals in Petshops whether they be from a factory or a BYB.

At least we can take comfort that it would have hit a wide audience again, and if we need Chris Brown on the front of the vehicle like a Ken Doll then so be it! :laugh:

I'm going to disagree with this. I think you'd be surprised at how many people actually have no idea puppy farms exist. I didn't until DOL. My boss didn't until me, as with our other nurse we work with.

I actually think Stormie being a vet there would be very few who work in the profession who don't know where pups in petshops come from. The general public I agree whole heartedly with you, that many still are unaware.

Edited by Pinkangel

I thought it was an excellent segment. :laugh:

Not a huge fan of Dr Chris in general due to his apparent stupidty on certain things but he is a public figure that the general public believe when he speaks about animal issues because he's a vet, he has his own tv show etc and so in doing a story on puppy farms and talking to people like Debra Tranter it has brought it more to the general public's attention, which is fantastic.

I agree with the above and others, I don't care whose idea it was, or which 'celebrity' presented it, as long as the message gets out there!!

Here is a link to tonight's segment for those who have not found it already.

thanks for the link i missed it earlier on tv...

i thought it was a great segment and like others dont care who presented it, atleast now people who had no idea about petshop puppies and PF'ers will have some knowledge about them

Most of the people who watched the segment tonight probably didn't even KNOW what a puppy farm was, or have no idea about not buying from pet shops.

My parents didn't know what they were until I explained it to them. This is the same with many others.

Overall, I think it was good... although there were some hazy parts. They should have mentioned WHERE to find reputable breeders.

It was so sad seeing those poor dogs... the Cav puppies were so cute.

Why would vets necessarily know about the awfulness of Puppy Farms/Factories - is it part of the studies? Why should they know any more then anyone else in the pet industry? Several of those i've worked with IN the pet industry didn't know more about puppy farming then it was just 'breeding purely for profit with more then the average number of dogs'.

I know people who also worked for a small pet store that sold pups and kittens - the 90% of the kittens were those dumped at the store or nearby vet surgery (who owned the pet store) and each of the pups was personally purchased by the store manager from byb litters, not large scale byb'ers or farms/factories. I know this because i know the store manager and fostered many of the kittens which were dumped at anywhere from 3weeks of age.

Perhaps being a high profile vet doesn't excuse him from moments of stupidity but at least he appears to be setting a better example... there are other high profile vets who advocate PP by, for example, passing up opportunities to encourage good pet ownership to open new flash stores instead.

Edited by KitKat

Well I'm glad that the word is getting out there!

People might not know where to get pups from registered breeders, but when you search ( breed name) pups for sale in google

DOL is the first thing to come up :laugh:

Good starting point methinks!

:laugh: Agree!

It was well done. The main focus being on the footage shown & not so much on Chris Brown & too much talking, that people don't always listen to properly. It showed the true horror of it all.

Although I have seen similar before I still had tears streaming down my face as I cuddled one of my 3 week old puppies.

I don't care about the early desexing debate, mine will always be desexed before they leave me as no way on earth is any one of them ever going to end up in a hell like that.

Still cannot understand how the RSPCA could not seize all the dogs ?

Many animals are seized for much less than that shown :laugh: but that's another topic.

Hope this gets the message across to many more people.

At least we can take comfort that it would have hit a wide audience again, and if we need Chris Brown on the front of the vehicle like a Ken Doll then so be it! :confused:

I totally agree, and another issue is that some people have visions of a "farm" being a lovely place with baby animals and green pastures. I know a large pet shop that certainly pushed this vision onto their customers, why? because they had no clue themselves. Joe Public does not have the deep interest in dogs that the majority of folk here have, and working in one sector of an industry doesn't give you instant knowledge.

Before joining DOL I had no idea what a puppy farm was, had never even heard of one. I'm not a fan of Dr Chris Brown, never have been but I think he did an excellent job on that story.

I told work mates yesterday to watch the segment. This morning we have all been talking about it and pretty much all of them said "I didn't know that's what you meant when you told us about puppy farms!" All have been shocked and horrified.

Even in my work place that segment has opened alot of eyes and made many people aware of the situation.

At least we can take comfort that it would have hit a wide audience again, and if we need Chris Brown on the front of the vehicle like a Ken Doll then so be it! :confused:

I actually think Stormie being a vet there would be very few who work in the profession who don't know where pups in petshops come from. The general public I agree whole heartedly with you, that many still are unaware.

Sorry, I should have added - I'm a nurse and my boss is a vet who's been practising for over 20years now. Before DOL, we all just assumed pet shop puppies came from owhers who had an accidental litter when the dog next door jumped the fence.

We had no idea puppies were bred on such a large scale in such facilities.

I think the whole issue has only recently come to public light in the last few years and so we're getting small articles etc in Vet Journals, but prior to these times, there was just no information or education unless you went looking for it.

Does anyone know which puppy farm it was? We have a lot of them around here, including a couple of very big ones in Sale and Heyfield.

I thought it was a really well done piece, and the images spoke much louder than words ever could.

it looks like it was the one that had dogs on chook wire not sure if i can mention a name....to me......i heard they'd gotten hold of my breed :confused: there was pure chis there :laugh: i tried to warn everyone (breeders) not to sell undesexed dogs down in gippy. :eek::eek: trying for yrs to get a hold of ours in the beginning when they first started up, told them we only sell dogs desexed sorry they got mad with us several times.....

Edited by toy dog

Sorry, I should have added - I'm a nurse and my boss is a vet who's been practising for over 20years now. Before DOL, we all just assumed pet shop puppies came from owhers who had an accidental litter when the dog next door jumped the fence.

We had no idea puppies were bred on such a large scale in such facilities.

I think the whole issue has only recently come to public light in the last few years and so we're getting small articles etc in Vet Journals, but prior to these times, there was just no information or education unless you went looking for it.

the new thing that petshops say now is, we don't get our pups from smelly, wormy puppy farms we source our pups from FAMILY BREEDERS.....asked several petshops in my area where the pups came from pretending i didn't know much! :confused: