Hydralyte - Safe For Dogs?

Michelleva

Georgia's had a bit of the runs today, not fun in a fluffer.... ewww :laugh:

She seems well in herself, so we're just keeping an eye on her today. I'm trying to get her to drink to make sure she stays hydrated. I always have those hydralyte icypoles in the freezer for when the kids suddenly get gastro, would it be safe to melt one of those into her water bowl?

I would go ahead if it's urgent but get in some Lectade for the future (specifically for pets). i have used Hydralyte for a dog when I had nothing else - but not a whole one - I gave my 30 k dally a half icy-pole in an urgent situation where he had collapsed with heat stroke.

Hydralyte is fantastic stuff. It once got me through a severe toxic reaction to a spider bite.

ETA - Do they have citrus in the orange flavour one? I cant remember and have run out of them. Thanks for the reminder to get some!!!

Edited by spottychick

Thanks for replying spottychick. I didn't end up giving it to her yesterday, she wasn't really bad, just a couple of runny poos. She seems ok today, but she's getting plain cooked chicken today, just to settle her tummy.

I'll have to have a look for lectade, just in case I need it down the track. Where do you get it from pet supply place/vet?

Most vets supply it, although I believe pet shops can order it in. I have seen it online on different pet supply websites.

I have had 2 vets say you can use gatorade! My GSD was sick for quite some time and I mixed a small bit with water. She had no adverse reaction.

This is what's in Gatorade

"water, sugar, table salt, carbohydrates, electrolytes (110 mg sodium, 30 mg potassium, 93 mg chloride), high fructose corn syrup, artificial colors, glucose, fructose, and more sugar"

Personally I wouldn't take it myself LOL and definitely wouldn't give it to my dogs :laugh:

Michelleva - Lectade is in most online pet stores - I get it from Vetnpetdirect.com.au

Yes it is safe for dogs. I always keep a supply of it.

I get mine from the local chemist. :wave:

Have you given it to your dogs before K9? I always keep those iceblocks on hand as you never know when the kids are going to come down with some gastro bug. Thankfully I haven't needed them for a while. ;)

I spoke to my friend whose a vet nurse about lectade and she said that generally you don't need it for a dog or cat who just has an upset tummy for a day, its more for when they get really sick and dehydrated. She still offered to get me a sachet to keep on hand, just in case.

Georgia was drinking water no problem when she had the runs, so she wasn't too bad.

• 6 years later...
25 minutes ago, Anna-Alea said:

I have a puppy and he has parvo but can not afford the treatment what can I do to help him

there is nothing you can do  at home  -  Parvo is a VERY serious illness , and he needs to be in hospital .
if you cannot afford the treatment ,(have you asked the vet about paying it off ?)  then the kindest thing is to have him put to sleep , sorry ... 

Edited by persephone

33 minutes ago, Anna-Alea said:

I have a puppy and he has parvo but can not afford the treatment what can I do to help him

Oh that's a hard situation. 

You can't treat parvo at home sorry! Plus it's extremely contagious so any near by animals could get it. Ask all the vets that you could get to if they will let you pay off the treatment gradually. Or do you have a family member who would lend you some money that you could definitely repay them? I'm so sorry, if you can't find a way soon you can't let your pup suffer, sorry, parvo is extremely nasty! 

12 minutes ago, persephone said:

there is nothing you can do  at home  -  Parvo is a VERY serious illness , and he needs to be in hospital .
if you cannot afford the treatment ,(have you asked the vet about paying it off ?)  then the kindest thing is to have him put to sleep , sorry ... 

Yes, this.

Ask the vet if you can pay it off, Parvo kills, get the pup to a vet and have it treated, withholding vet treatment is just plain cruel.   Surrender the puppy if you can't pay for it's treatment perhaps.

12 minutes ago, Rozzie said:

How do you know that it's parvo if you haven't seen a vet?

I was was thinking the same thing. I find it hard to think a vet would send a parvo case home but not 100% sure how it works in cases like that where there is no finances ?

Occasional cases are appropriate candidates for outpatient treatments but always with several caveats, they need daily or twice daily rechecks (usually with a repeat consultation fee), meds, dedicated home nursing care and an understanding that at any point the pet may require admission to hospital (which is best done early on), or as is often the case, euthanasia. It's not the 'easy' option and it will still require a reasonable financial investment as well as a significant time / emotional one and it comes with the risks of further contamination of the home environment, risk of exposure of other animals and so on. It is unfortunately one of those time where prevention is the best cure, as once they are infected treatment is primarily supportive given that it is a virus (and a very good one at that). 

20 minutes ago, Rappie said:

Occasional cases are appropriate candidates for outpatient treatments but always with several caveats, they need daily or twice daily rechecks (usually with a repeat consultation fee), meds, dedicated home nursing care and an understanding that at any point the pet may require admission to hospital (which is best done early on), or as is often the case, euthanasia. It's not the 'easy' option and it will still require a reasonable financial investment as well as a significant time / emotional one and it comes with the risks of further contamination of the home environment, risk of exposure of other animals and so on. It is unfortunately one of those time where prevention is the best cure, as once they are infected treatment is primarily supportive given that it is a virus (and a very good one at that). 

Thank you for your usual informative & considered information @Rappie.        :thanks: