Puppy Frustration :(

Staffygirl88

I was one who suggested you may want to return the pup. I was not saying that to be abusive at all. You said yourself that it was the wrong time re dad etc. to get one, you clearly are having trouble coping, and also have a toddler, which is very hard work even under normal circumstances without a sick father and brand new pup etc.

By saying to return the pup, I honestly meant it as a good thing, no bearing on you and how you are or are not caring for the pup. Many many people return dogs to breeders for all sorts of reasons, it's not a 'bad' thing at all, definately not meant to be abusive :cry::)

I feel too that by you posts about 'you could have bought a car' re pup money and that you expected more because you paid more, that maybe you are also under financial stress, which is another reason that now could be an inconvenient time to have a pup as mediicines, vaccinations, desexing, worming, unforseen expenses are very expensive and ongoing.

Really if the pup has not lived up to expectations or promises, maybe you should contact consumer affairs or something?

I have an extremely expensive rare breed, the price certainly did not stop her eating her way through all the furniture, along with 80 prized imported bromeliads, several hundred loo rolls, books, uni assignments etc. and digging holes that could be used for dams :rofl: ;) ;) ;) and yes, all under supervision! she's quick and 'norty', but now completely trustworthy and wonderful, phew, grown up at last............ :D :rofl:

I apologise if what I said got your back up, honestly, if you ever read through other threads you will see that returning the pup is nearly always given as a could be solution. I can see you have a lot on your plate ATM. It has nothing to do with 'giving up'. My cousin has an amstaff and a 1 yr old baby, the dog is wonderful, does agility and tracking. THey are lovely dogs :cry:

Please take note of PFs comments re the dog chasing the child. I wont say more, PF has stated things very well.

Edited by Monah

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not going to apologise for suggesting that you return your puppy to its breeder...I suggested it because after reading through the information you provided here and reading several times that you have some quite time consuming and upsetting things happening in your life at the present time, I really feel it is the best option.

That's my opinion and I'm entitled to it, if you think you can give this puppy 100% and raise it into a well adjusted adult then I wish you well.

There was nothing 'abusive' about my suggestion of rehoming...

Edited by Aziah

And she's still outside, but now playing with my son (well my son is running and she's chasing him) lol she doesn't jump on him very often at all now so atleast she's getting something from our training :cry:

God I hate raining on this parade but I'd discourage this game too. (I sound so negative)

She's going to be a big powerful dog. She needs to learn that chasing kids is not OK. If she does it to the wrong child she could bowl them over AND her behaviour can be misinterpreted.

You need to introduce some other games to this friendship. Will she case a toy.

I tried getting her to chase a toy, I was successful on ONE occasion and she actually brought the stick back four times before she got over it :D

How can I get her to play something else with him? He just loves to run it's all he does when he's outside really. That and digging, which he was just doing with her in his sandbox

How can I get her to play something else with him? He just loves to run it's all he does when he's outside really. That and digging, which he was just doing with her in his sandbox

Maybe get him to kick a ball or two .. or a rattly toy she can chase? Doesn't matter of she just chases it :D Digging is great! they can share digging for toys !

And she's still outside, but now playing with my son (well my son is running and she's chasing him) lol she doesn't jump on him very often at all now so atleast she's getting something from our training :cry:

God I hate raining on this parade but I'd discourage this game too. (I sound so negative)

She's going to be a big powerful dog. She needs to learn that chasing kids is not OK. If she does it to the wrong child she could bowl them over AND her behaviour can be misinterpreted.

I tried getting her to chase a toy, I was successful on ONE occasion and she actually brought the stick back four times before she got over it :D

A stick really isn't a good thing for her to be fetching, how about a tennis ball or fluffy toy?

Or...do you have a big soccer ball that your little boy can kick for her and he can run around while doing that? Puppy should be more interested in chasing the ball he's kicking than chasing him that way.

She's better off with toys than sticks.. vets remove lots of sticks from dog's soft palates and worse.

You'd have to back chain teaching her to retrieve. A trainer could teach you this. Did you reward her for bringing it back?

He could drag something for her to pounce on. My dogs have a large fur snake that's popular for that game. Or you could get a kids play tunnel and they can crawl through that.

Maybe get him to kick a ball or two .. or a rattly toy she can chase? Doesn't matter of she just chases it :) Digging is great! they can share digging for toys !

And she's still outside, but now playing with my son (well my son is running and she's chasing him) lol she doesn't jump on him very often at all now so atleast she's getting something from our training ;)

A stick really isn't a good thing for her to be fetching, how about a tennis ball or fluffy toy?

Or...do you have a big soccer ball that your little boy can kick for her and he can run around while doing that? Puppy should be more interested in chasing the ball he's kicking than chasing him that way.

I tried getting her to chase a toy, I was successful on ONE occasion and she actually brought the stick back four times before she got over it :cry:

She's better off with toys than sticks.. vets remove lots of sticks from dog's soft palates and worse.

You'd have to back chain teaching her to retrieve. A trainer could teach you this. Did you reward her for bringing it back?

He could drag something for her to pounce on. My dogs have a large fur snake that's popular for that game. Or you could get a kids play tunnel and they can crawl through that.

The stick was the only thing she was interested in ;)

Yes PF she got lots of praise when she brought it back

I will have to work on my son and the pup playing together I think. He gets a bit freaked out around her when she tried to play, they both need work ;)

I thought the digging would have been great for them to do together in the sand box, but my son quickly got sick of her digging in his spot and told her to get out :cry:

PF this will end in tears and i agree with you. raining on a parade is what happens when people do not understand why dogs and puppies do what they do.

wait until the child squeals.....the OP might find out it has a high prey drive as well... :D :cry::cry:

Ignore me and be done already

well my son is running and she's chasing him)

:D

*whispers*

probably not a good game to play .. as she will rapidly grow , and still want to play chase and bounce :cry: Pups chasing kids and getting excited when they see kids running can often end in tears .

You might enjoy reading this little ebook -it's free :cry:

LINK

Oh.. and puppy photos are always appreciated :)

How do I put photos of my pup on here?