Puppy Frustration :(

Staffygirl88

For what it's worth, I totally agree about food aggression being hard wired into some dogs. When I chose my dog from a shelter, I was very aware that I wanted the dog to share its life with my six cats. My cats are not food possessive and eat from the same bowl, and I wanted to be sure that any dog in my home wouldn't literally bite the head off one of my cats if it bimbled up to him while he was eating.

At the shelter, I was in a cage with three eight week old mastiff cross puppies. They were typical puppies, and even more typical shelter puppies - desperate for attention, hyperactive, wiggling, licking, chewing and barging each other out of the way for my attention. Knowing I was unlikely to be injured, I put my hand in their kibble bowl and handed out pieces of kibble as treats. There was one small female puppy, a sweet looking litttle thing, but at even eight weeks when my hand went into her kibble bowl, she froze like a statue for a couple of seconds before I took my hand away. She wasn't impressed with me offering the kibble back to her either. Some people don't believe puppies have it in them to demonstrate any aggression, but I think if you look hard enough you can see the foundations of the adult dog's personality even at eight weeks - it's up to you to then work around that and shape the dog you want, but I think it's there for starters.

The dog I DID adopt has no food aggression - he isn't even possessive. And he was starved when I adopted him, all ribs and hips and no proper feeding. I make him sit before he gets his food and reward him with it immediately. If I interfere when he's eating, it's to give him something additional. I raw feed him and in the rare case that I'm unhappy with how he's managing something he's eating, I will take it off him but I reward him with something else at the same time. He is relaxed around food, but he came like that - I didn't train him to it. I can reinforce it with good feeding practices, but I didn't start with a pup that howled and bounced at the mere sight of the food bag.

However I wouldn't 100% trust him not to snap at my cats if they go to mooch at his food bowl while he's eating - of course I wouldn't. I chose the dog I chose because of what I saw in his nature, which is overwhelmingly sweet and gentle, but I still wouldn't gamble with my animals or a child or even another adult while he's eating. It's unfair to him and unfair to them.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple of things - an 8 week puppy will not be 100% housetrained when you collect it. A breeder advertising that is not being truthful. A dog will not look you in the eye, esp when you are being angry and intimidating (in its view) - avoiding eye contact is one way in the puppy world to avoid confrontations and to show it is submissive. I assume you have bought a staffy pup, if you are after something placid and calm you should probably not have gotten a pup and maybe gone with an older dog. What breed research did you do? Did you research your breeders? (btw - Is your breeder a registered breeder with the canine association?)

Sorry, but your post has actually pushed my buttons, becuase it has been with unrealistic expectations that you have bought a puppy, and unless you start educating yourself and stop blaming the puppy for its 'faults' then its going to end badly for all concerned - probably with a trip to the pound.

And if you want to know what trouble and expense that causes, go check out the rescue thread.

That was my whinge. I am pissed at the breeder for letting me have high expectations and for not worming the pup.

It is an Amstaff pup, and I have had 4 British Staffies so I'm familiar with the breed.

I did want to get an older dog because the puppy stage is just like having a newborwn baby. But I wanted the puppy to grow up in the presence of my son and be used to him.

And yeah the breeder is a registered breeder

And don't assume I'm uneducated, if you bothered to read the entire thread you'd see it was a shitty time to get a dog at all, but I didn't know that until I had her. If I had, I would NOT have gotten the dog at all.

she froze like a statue for a couple of seconds before I took my hand away.

That's scarey goosebumps behaviour.. if you see it BIG warning sign. I sure as hell hope that shelter carefully temperment tested dogs prior to rehoming.

Someone I know has seen 3 week olds behaving like that towards people.

That was my whinge. I am pissed at the breeder for letting me have high expectations and for not worming the pup.

It is an Amstaff pup, and I have had 4 British Staffies so I'm familiar with the breed.

I did want to get an older dog because the puppy stage is just like having a newborwn baby. But I wanted the puppy to grow up in the presence of my son and be used to him.

And don't assume I'm uneducated, if you bothered to read the entire thread you'd see it was a shitty time to get a dog at all, but I didn't know that until I had her. If I had, I would NOT have gotten the dog at all.

If you've previously had 4 dogs then you'd be well aware that a baby puppy isn't going to be Super Fido, you can't expect an 8 week old to be full house trained and behave like a well adjusted/trained adult dog. Sure, the breeder shouldn't have implied all these things but common sense should have told you that this just wasn't going to be the case?!

It's not too late, return the puppy ;)

The best constructive advice I could give the OP is for them to have a professional dog trainer come in, to show them how to deal with a puppy and educate them on dogs. If staffygirl88 really does want this dog, she has to accept that she needs to start over again, revise her expectations and start looking at the world from a different perspective.

I will give her that she has asked the questions here on DOL, but she needs to take seriously what we are telling her. Many of the people here on DOL who are replying in this thread have many years experience with a variety of breeds and temperaments, and their advice is sound - we are not being 'mean' but we are seriously concerned that what she is putting in place will lead to all sorts of problems down the track.

The OP also needs to understand that while puppies are cute and cuddly etc etc, they are lots of work and lots of responsibility. If she is not willing to take that on, then a dog- regardless of any breed or age -is not for her.

Sorry, but thats it.

Let's get this bit correct, there is no such thing as a " British Staffie". The Amstaff and the Staffordshire Bull Terrier are not one in the same in terms of type or temperament and you have no clue about either breed and what they require.

Everything I've read so far suggests to me that the OP has bitten off more than she can chew and she knows it.

If I were this pup's breeder and your rang me I'd give you your money back AND pay for the pup's flight home. I think this is a case of wrong dog, wrong time for this family.

If you've previously had 4 dogs then you'd be well aware that a baby puppy isn't going to be Super Fido, you can't expect an 8 week old to be full house trained and behave like a well adjusted/trained adult dog. Sure, the breeder shouldn't have implied all these things but common sense should have told you that this just wasn't going to be the case?!

Yes I am well aware of it and I am entitled to have a whinge when I was mislead!

Don't tell me to return a pup that I waited 6 months for and saved for why don't you get off your high horse and not tell other people what to do all you know is what I've wrote on here you don't know ME you don't live with ME so don't tell me what to do

OK, this is getting a bit ridiculous.

Firstly, I think the OP is just venting their frustration, better on here than at the pup hey?

The pup does not need to be rehomed. I think many first time puppy owners are overwhelmed in the first week. The OP has stated she did not want to give the pup up, it is just harder than she expected. And the breeder has not acted in an ethical manner, which does not make it easy either. I mean selling a wormy pup that comes fully "toilet trained"...

The OP has had a pretty hard time imo and people should try to support others and give useful advice not tell them they are basically too stupid/lazy/whatever to handle the pup and to rehome it.

The OP has received some good advice from some experienced and helpful people and people who have had the same sort of issues.

I hope the OP will consider getting in a private trainer to help out and give some tips. They sound fairly responsible to me- crate training, intneding to go to puppy school etc

Even the food managament had the right INTENTION, however I hope the OP can now see that there are much safer, more effective ways of preventing food aggression (great post from persephone and a few others).

Staffygirl- I hope you will stick around, you can leanrn a lot here, I know people here REALLY helped me out with my puppy, when I was feeling a bit overwhelmed and down about her

-toilet training

-biting my legs

-mouthing

- barking at night

etc....

Amstaff's are very different to what you have had before.

Question is, do you really want this puppy?

Let's get this bit correct, there is no such thing as a " British Staffie". The Amstaff and the Staffordshire Bull Terrier are not one in the same in terms of type or temperament and you have no clue about either breed and what they require.

Well explain to me how they are different considering I'm so uneducated (in your opinion)

You're being quite rude saying I have 'no idea' about either breed. When I say British, I mean the smaller Staffordshire Terrier and yes they did originate in BRITAIN hence being BRITISH

Yes I am well aware of it and I am entitled to have a whinge when I was mislead!

Don't tell me to return a pup that I waited 6 months for and saved for why don't you get off your high horse and not tell other people what to do all you know is what I've wrote on here you don't know ME you don't live with ME so don't tell me what to do

I can tell you have a short fuse, no real knowledge of the breed you have now and unrealistic expectations of a baby pup.

Your reaction to her being covered in shit appeared to be annoyance, not guilt for leaving her too long and her having to endure that situation. If you think it stank how do you think an animal with far better sense of smell liked it. You did the equivalent of leaving a baby in a dirty nappy for hours and you blamed her for it.

Try being a little kinder to her if you're going to keep her. Channel your frustration into improving your management and educating yourself so that you can raise a happy, healthy well mannered dog.

Most issues with pups come down to owners. If you start looking at what you can change rather than how your puppy should change you'l get further quicker.

How you choose to manage your dog with your child is your business. Just don't expect dog people to support what you're doing in that regard.

Edited by poodlefan

Well explain to me how they are different considering I'm so uneducated (in your opinion)

You're being quite rude saying I have 'no idea' about either breed. When I say British, I mean the smaller Staffordshire Terrier and yes they did originate in BRITAIN hence being BRITISH

no need to be rude. they are not called british staffies and have never been called that. if you have really had that many it is assumed you would have known that.

people are trying to help you and you dont want the help.

your loss.

You've waited 6 months for a puppy that you're unhappy with, I've read what you've written what else would you like me to use as information for this particular situation?!

Poor puppy...

You've openly posted that you're frustrated with this puppy, it's YOUR job to raise her correctly and so far you're not showing any evidence that this is what you're doing...just a long string of posts whinging about this puppy.

This is a public forum, if people read a post like yours what do you expect, rainbows and butterflies?!

OK, this is getting a bit ridiculous.

Firstly, I think the OP is just venting their frustration, better on here than at the pup hey?

The pup does not need to be rehomed. I think many first time puppy owners are overwhelmed in the first week. The OP has stated she did not want to give the pup up, it is just harder than she expected. And the breeder has not acted in an ethical manner, which does not make it easy either. I mean selling a wormy pup that comes fully "toilet trained"...

The OP has had a pretty hard time imo and people should try to support others and give useful advice not tell them they are basically too stupid/lazy/whatever to handle the pup and to rehome it.

The OP has received some good advice from some experienced and helpful people and people who have had the same sort of issues.

I hope the OP will consider getting in a private trainer to help out and give some tips. They sound fairly responsible to me- crate training, intneding to go to puppy school etc

Even the food managament had the right INTENTION, however I hope the OP can now see that there are much safer, more effective ways of preventing food aggression (great post from persephone and a few others).

Staffygirl- I hope you will stick around, you can leanrn a lot here, I know people here REALLY helped me out with my puppy, when I was feeling a bit overwhelmed and down about her

-toilet training

-biting my legs

-mouthing

- barking at night

etc....

Thanks atleast someone doesn't think I'm a complete moron. I joined this forum for advice and a place to whinge but obviously if I whinge I can't handle the pup and should send it back asap. It's not my first pup but as I said it's been a really bad time and she's most likely picked up on that, hence the accidents and so forth.

I will try other methods with her food and my son (who is chewing on his shirt atm)

AussieLover she says she is an experienced owner having 4 previous dogs. i find that hard to believe given what she has written here ;)

Well I've had two other dogs before Mindy,

and I had TOTALLY forgotton what it was like to have a puppy again!!!

When you are used to having an older, fully trained dog it is really, really, hard to remeber what "puppy stage" is like.

It is really quite a shock to the system. And Ive been told my puppy is a reasonably well behaved, calm puppy, they can actually be much worse (hard for me to imagine LOL) !!!!

incenserf3.jpg

prayac0.gif

Edited by koalathebear