Hydrobath

blacklabrador

We are going to buy a hydrobath and I'm not really sure what is that I need.

I want different washing water to rinsing water and I want them both to be heated so I can wash the dogs in the winter. Is it a dual tank one that I need?

Something like this?

http://www.thebarfshop.com.au/store/produc...p;cPath=225_226

Are you just using your hydrobath at home or are you going to be using it for a business and driving around??

If you are just using it at home its usually cheaper to get a basic version with one tank and no heater and then just use your hot water from home. I find that some of the heaters in the hydrobaths take forever to heat up the water.

We have an old hydrobath under our house which is close to a hot water tap. This tap has a hose connection so just click on the garden hose and fill up the hydrobath and away you go. We then use the hose for rinsing off. We are lucky because our hot water system has a control panel setup so you just dial in the desired water temperature and then only turn on the hot water tap and no cold water needed.

If you are going to be driving around with a business then a whole different story.

I have one of the Barf baths. It does take ages for the water to heat up, a good 30 mins. If you are washing a couple of dogs one straight after the other then the water doesn't reheat. My element also broke after about 6-8 washes. I was not impressed with their service. Apart from that the bath is good, lol.

I would get a non heated one and use the house hot water if I was doing it all again. It does seem to be the hardest thing in the entire world for me to get hot water outside! Lots of huffing from plumbers who can't see the need for hot water to wash dogs.

It's for domestic use and will be used three times a week.

So if I get a single tank and provide my own hot water then I'd be using hot water to fill the tank and then using my warm water to rinse the dogs off? I've never really taken notice of how they work!

Edited by blacklabrador

I have a Liberty twin tank and love it, would be about 8 yrs old now and has had a pretty tough life. Started out as a mobile but have been off the road for a few yrs now. When the day comes that I need to replace it I will get another from them. The door is fitted on one end and rinse tank on the other. Door is molded to fit and is almost leak proof.

It has a large wash tank and 55 ltr rinse tank. I don't think it takes that long to heat up, if you turn it on before your ready, make a coffee or groom the dogs first it will soon be ready.

http://www.libertyinternational.com.au/baths.html

*note twin tank - the 55ltr rinse tank is fitted on the end of the bath, it is slim line so it doesn't take up much space.

I bought a single tank, non heating hydrobath, I had the plumber fit outdoor hot and cold taps next to the bath area. I fill the bath with warm water and add the shampoo, I then let out the water release valve open and rinse off with my own clean, fresh warm water.

I picked a bath that had an exterior water release, not one that I had to remove the dog to get to the plug...hope that makes sense.

I have a BARF shop 1. Had it 4 or 5 years and had no hassles. Never had a smell problem with it, and the heater still works.

I agree with Jules it does take a bit to get the water warm. What I do because I am impatient is I throw a bucket of warm water in the wash tank, that way by the time I am finished washing, the large rinse tank is nice and warm. Subsequent dogs are no problem as it heats up while I am drying the previous dog.

I like the fact mine is portable and not plumber in. I don't ahev a grooming shed and just use it outside (under the pergola in bad weather) so in summer I just move it to different areas of the lawn so they get a water. I have never managed to work out what hose to get that attaches firmly to the drain and find it easier just to move the bath :rolleyes:

I recently bought a new Savel bath . I LOVE it and wish i'd got rid of my old dinosaur years ago. I groom professionally from home and only have a single tank unheated, and use my own hot water to fill the wash tank, and then release the wash water from the tank and leave the drain open so i can just rinse with hot water from my own water supply. much faster and more energy efficient than heating elements, more thorough rinsing, and less parts and things to go wrong :rolleyes:

they get a water. I have never managed to work out what hose to get that attaches firmly to the drain and find it easier just to move the bath :confused:

Depends on the size of the outlet but we use one of the blue hoses from the pool shop that they have for the skimming things in the swimming pool. It is quite long and has blue ridges all the way along the hose. Our original one we found at the dump and have just purchased a new one from the pool shop.

I've heard they can smell bad if you don't disinfect they hydrobath after use. It's the bacteria that sits there between uses that makes it smell bad. Don't know if that's what's causing the problem for you Hesmypandabear... it might be something else... but if you haven't been disinfecting it after each use, give it a try because it might help. Apparently you have to use a special hydrobath disinfectant otherwise it could cause problems with parts.

Apparently you have to use a special hydrobath disinfectant otherwise it could cause problems with parts.

Or potentially make less money for the distributors......... ;) I'm not prepared to take the risk, but I do wonder.

I wasn't sure either, but then heard from a few people who had been using household disinfectant in their hydrobaths and they said it caused problems :laugh: Like you, I don't want to risk it!

I use the Fidos hydrobath and kennel wash.

After reading this thread earlier today I decided it was a good day to scrub my bath out. For those who say their baths smell - it's time to clean and flush it out - filter too. Mine was over due and is now squeaky clean, smells great.

Then I washed and dried 3 Rotties and 1 pug.....and cleaned out their runs.

Someone said earlier about hose to attach to the bath for the drain water - not sure about the BARF baths but the Liberty takes the black water saver hoses that you can attach to the washing machine for watering the lawns. Also to empty the bath is foot controlled so you don't need to lean in to do it - will post pics if anyone is interested.

I bought a single tank, non heating hydrobath, I had the plumber fit outdoor hot and cold taps next to the bath area. I fill the bath with warm water and add the shampoo, I then let out the water release valve open and rinse off with my own clean, fresh warm water.

I picked a bath that had an exterior water release, not one that I had to remove the dog to get to the plug...hope that makes sense.

Which brand is this?

Sorry BL, I'm looking for a Hydrobath at the moment and rather than start a new thread I thought I'd share yours if that's OK? :thanks:

Edited by ~Midniara~