Leila Has Lymphoma And Has Started Chemo

CareyJ

Yesterday Leila's diagnosis was confirmed as high grade lymphoma or other round cell tumour including histiocytic sarcoma (lymphoma being much more likely). Chemo has been started and she is home with us after 2 nights and 2 days at Murdoch. I've read though eveyone elses lymphoma and cancer posts, got a large amount of info from the vet and bought all sorts of food. The only thing she will touch is a small amount Hills ND and has eaten most of a roast chicken.

I am totally devistated - she is not even 2 yet.

She was pretty much healthy 3 weeks ago and today she is a bag of bones with a large belly full of fluid as her liver and spleen are affected.

The chemo seems to be affecting her more that I was expecting. She is alert but wont eat a lot of foods which I think is her being nauseous, she is drinking quite a bit because of the prednisolone but hasnt had a firm stool since she got home. She is sleeping a lot but seems to not be that comfortable because of her swollen abdomen which the vet and vet nurse expected to reduce over time.

It is the most horrible this to have to see. I know we are doing what we can but it almost seems like it is not enough.

Sorry about your news - it is a hard road ahead but stay strong and positive for her as she will sense your moods (I know it is easier said than done, but try)...

Holistic medicine compliments conventional chemo treatments very well and can assist with the extra fluid she has in her tummy and probably make her more comfortable.

She will have down days but they don't get 'sick' like humans do with chemo. They don't give them the doses that humans get due to the cost of bone marrow transplants (which are only just available to animals and very expensive)...

When she is having treatment, just let her eat what she wants, make sure there is plenty of water. But diet is very important. Check out the anti cancer diets on google for dogs, there are lots to choose from but most follow the low carb principle. (removing breads, grains, cereals etc - not fruit and veg which are loaded with great nutrients)...

Hoping your chemo gives you full remission, soon...

Thanks Staffyluv,

Thanks for your comments. I'm looking into all I can regarding diet - our diet seems to be changing to whatever the dog it having! I will definately be considering holistic medicine to support the conventional.

I'm sorry about Leila's diagnosis - news like this does tend to knock the stuffing out of you. All of a sudden you are having to become familiar with things, and make decisions about things you never knew existed. Its tough :laugh:

Staffyluv has given you good advice, conventional medicine does generally not consider diet and supplements, and anyone whose pet has had cancer will tell you these are very important in keeping your fur-kid as well as you can during treatment, and to fight the disease in general.

You'll see in the posts about Ruger that treatments can have good results, so try to stay positive. Best wishes, and a big hug to Leila.

Thanks for asking Valley. She has more of her spark back but we have had a few setbacks. Firstly, her blood test yesterday indicated that she could not have her next round of chemo - the level of something was too low to have the chemo but ok for general health so it has had to be postponed until next Tuesday. Secondly, the biopsy came back and it is not lymphoma but histiocytic sarcoma which we were really hoping it would not be. This means that we have to change the treatment protocol and our odds for remission have got worse :grouphug: Rather than having around a 80 % chance of remission, it is now only about 50%.

Unfortunately her abdomen is really quite bloated with fluid which means she isnt eating a lot and is a little uncomfortable. We're just managing that with lots of little meals.

On a positive note, the chemo and prednisioone she has had has reduced the size of the lymph node under her chin and it has gone from being large and hard to much smaller and soft so we take the good with the bad I guess.

I cant say anything bad about Murdoch, they have been amazing and are so positive. Even though they couldnt give Leila any treatment yesterday they said she had great fun playing with the vet nurses and doing all sorts of tricks to get treats and that she is such a happy little dog.

We're booked in to see the holistic vet at Murdoch, Bruce Ferguson as soon as he is back from holidays so hopefully we can compliment the conventional treatments.

Unfortunately, I think we created a monster in only feeding her raw before she got sick! She wont touch anything that has been cooked except bbq chicken! Luckily, the vet has said freezing raw meat then defrosting and feeding immediately is ok and she will happily eat that - in fact it disapears unbelievably quickly.

Unfortunately, I think we created a monster in only feeding her raw before she got sick! She wont touch anything that has been cooked except bbq chicken! Luckily, the vet has said freezing raw meat then defrosting and feeding immediately is ok and she will happily eat that - in fact it disapears unbelievably quickly.

I just wanted to add my support :) Is she on any anti-nausea meds to help ? Sending you both my best positive thoughts.

Wow not the kind of update I was hoping for. :)

I am sure once she settles into the chemo and you get started with the holistic treatments she will seem much brighter.

Plus you have that she is young and has had an awesome diet and lots of exercise on your side. :rofl:

Thanks for asking Valley. She has more of her spark back but we have had a few setbacks. Firstly, her blood test yesterday indicated that she could not have her next round of chemo - the level of something was too low to have the chemo but ok for general health so it has had to be postponed until next Tuesday. Secondly, the biopsy came back and it is not lymphoma but histiocytic sarcoma which we were really hoping it would not be. This means that we have to change the treatment protocol and our odds for remission have got worse :thumbsup: Rather than having around a 80 % chance of remission, it is now only about 50%.

Unfortunately her abdomen is really quite bloated with fluid which means she isnt eating a lot and is a little uncomfortable. We're just managing that with lots of little meals.

On a positive note, the chemo and prednisioone she has had has reduced the size of the lymph node under her chin and it has gone from being large and hard to much smaller and soft so we take the good with the bad I guess.

I cant say anything bad about Murdoch, they have been amazing and are so positive. Even though they couldnt give Leila any treatment yesterday they said she had great fun playing with the vet nurses and doing all sorts of tricks to get treats and that she is such a happy little dog.

We're booked in to see the holistic vet at Murdoch, Bruce Ferguson as soon as he is back from holidays so hopefully we can compliment the conventional treatments.

This happens a lot - I think Ollie's original chemo protocol was for 12 weeks but it ended up taking 6 months because we had many setbacks due to his blood count being a bit to low to risk the next round of chemo...

Any chance of remission is a good chance, stay positive - it really is the best frame of mind for both you and her (I know it is hard sometimes).

Great news about the lymph node reduction - definitely a step in the right direction.

The holistic stuff is great. Ollie was on Lymphodran, Anti Ox, Five Mushroom drops and a few chinese herbs. He did not suffer with a bloated belly but had a host of other issues - the chemo damaged his thyroid gland and when it stopped working it made him gain about 6kg (a lot on a staffy). He also ended up with a small stomach ulcer - but in the long run, he has had another 5 years of life (so far) - 4 years more than they said he would have. If you ask me, the battle is well worth it, to see him trot around like he still owns the place.

Hang in there and all the best

Sending healing thoughts and prayers for you fur baby, hope the chemo does the trick and remission occurs.

Keep your head up, you sound like you're doing the best you can with treatments and everything else.

:)

Just read the awful news in the GSP thread. I am so sorry for you! :D I have had to give a young dog wings before when my BC was hit by a car and it was the most awful thing I have ever had to do in my life. I am sitting here crying for you and your beatiful girl. My Lilly was given wings about a month ago so hopefully they will be able to find each other and keep each other company.

Life just isn't fair :rofl:

I'm so sorry about Leila, CareyJ, hard to believe that crazy brown hoon dog that was tearing around at Piney Lakes so full of life got so ill so quickly and is now gone :D I agree, life really isn't fair :rofl: Thinking of you at this incredibly hard time.

I'm so sorry about Leila, CareyJ, hard to believe that crazy brown hoon dog that was tearing around at Piney Lakes so full of life got so ill so quickly and is now gone :cheer: I agree, life really isn't fair :laugh: Thinking of you at this incredibly hard time.

Amy, you took the words right out of my mouth.

Carey, Leila was here for a short time but a good time, and she gave lots of Dolers a beautiful memory from Piney Lakes.

Rest in Peace forever Leila. :D