10 Week Old Pup Dies Of Parvo

Puppoochi

I had some people from Geelong come to look at my pups about 6 weeks ago (my pups are now 12 weeks old) They were running late, said they got lost, I live in St Kilda, they were calling from South Gippsland Hwy.

Before they came in, I asked if they had been to another breeder, they said yes,I said to them they could be compromising the health of my pups, I made them take off their shoes before entering and I made them wash their hands as well. I did not allow them to pick up the pups from the pen.

I didn't sell them a puppy because they wanted me to hold one without a deposit, and they wanted the pick of the litter. They pissed me off and I decided to not sell to them.

They soon found out how hard it is to get a white female. I put them on to my friend that had a white girl for sale. Her pups are 2 weeks younger than mine. They picked up the pup at 8 weeks, yes the pup had it's first C3 shot. They phoned my friend this morning to tell her the pup had died from Parvo.

They claim that they didn't let the pup out for walks and they also said they had let another dog play with the pup.

They also told my friend the only other pups they saw were mine, which was a blatant lie.

I'm so glad these people didn't get one of my pups and yes I'm sorry that I referred them to my friend.

Firstly let me say how sorry I am to hear that this puppy has died.

There are many variables here.

How old was the puppy when it was vaccinated

Was the puppy still nursing from the bitch

Had the breeder vaccinated the bitch before or during pregnancy

What brand of vaccine did they use.

Firstly let me say how sorry I am to hear that this puppy has died.

There are many variables here.

How old was the puppy when it was vaccinated

Was the puppy still nursing from the bitch

Had the breeder vaccinated the bitch before or during pregnancy

What brand of vaccine did they use.

the pup was around 7 weeks old when vaccinated, and I don't think it was still nursing. The bitch did not get vaccinated before or during pregnancy, she is fully vaccinated, and I have no idea what brand of vaccine was used.

Sad, poor puppy ;)

Has your friend actually spoken to their vet to confirm this ?

If not your friend should, if they give permission, the vet won't talk to them without it.

I will not let anyone visit if they have been to another breeder, dog park, show etc that day.

If they were at my door when I found out I would say they would have to come back another day.

Your puppy will find the right home soon I am sure.

There are some strange/stupid people everywhere its just a matter of sorting them out, hopefully before they visit.

Sad, poor puppy :)

Has your friend actually spoken to their vet to confirm this ?

If not your friend should, if they give permission, the vet won't talk to them without it.

I will not let anyone visit if they have been to another breeder, dog park, show etc that day.

If they were at my door when I found out I would say they would have to come back another day.

Your puppy will find the right home soon I am sure.

There are some strange/stupid people everywhere its just a matter of sorting them out, hopefully before they visit.

No, I don't think she has spoken to the vet. She also still has one perfectly healthy pup at her house.

I also don't attend shows when I have pups on the ground, better to be safe than sorry.

If I had not asked these people first, if they had visited another breeder (it was actuallly a farm), they would have just waltzed into my home and perhaps infected my pups and property. I am sad that the puppy died but it makes me very paranoid now.

I recently lost an entire litter to Parvo bar one. All pups were vaccinated twice and only a couple days from beginning to go to new homes. By the time the last one died she was 13 weeks of age. It happens unfortunatly and it's not always anyones fault. This virus is nasty and finds its way easily to pups.

Without scaring you....simply taking shoes off and washing hands, isn't enough to stop it from finding its way to your home. This can carried a long way on many other bits of clothing besides shoes and not touching pups doesn't mean much as the virus can be left on floors/textiles etc that come in contact.

I recently lost an entire litter to Parvo bar one. All pups were vaccinated twice and only a couple days from beginning to go to new homes. By the time the last one died she was 13 weeks of age. It happens unfortunatly and it's not always anyones fault. This virus is nasty and finds its way easily to pups.

Without scaring you....simply taking shoes off and washing hands, isn't enough to stop it from finding its way to your home. This can carried a long way on many other bits of clothing besides shoes and not touching pups doesn't mean much as the virus can be left on floors/textiles etc that come in contact.

I would agree with that totally and add that you don't need anybody to come to your home personally to have it happen to you.

None of us are exempt

It's very sad about the puppy :) We take the precautions we can but unfortunately some viruses ar very virolent. Sadly, one can pick up an airborne virus just standing near someone in a supermarket queue and walking where they have stood. Sometimes the immune system is just too immature to deal with it.

Edited by LizT