What Does "heart Dog" Mean?

lanabanana

"Heart dog" is in popular use by many dog-lovers!

Molly is my first true heart dog...she chooses me over anybody else all the time. She has a connection to me which is uncanny - she knows how I'm feeling and she knows just how to behave to give me a laugh when I'm down. My other two dogs are fantastic but the relationship I have with Ruby and Lilly is not the same as with Molly and I wonder if I'll ever have another dog with this deep connection. If not, I know I've had the most amazing relationship with Molly, who is on my lap as we speak... :)

Cool thanks.

I don't belong on any other dog forums so have never heard it before. I go on a couple of "general topic" forums that have pet areas but no specific doggy people.

I think my wee Pippi might be my heart dog then....although I feel bad for saying it as I always assumed that my first dog was that.

I've only had 2 heart dogs, and I feel a tad guilty saying that, as I have some friends who have never had one.

One of my friends thinks I am awful for unashamedly admitting that I love my Princess much more than any others, but I always say to her that when she feels that special connection with one herself, only then will she understand.

It is not something that one can plan, it just happens like they have bewitched you.

After I lost my last one, I vow and declared that I would never let myself fall in love with a 'special one' ever again!

And 6 years down the track it happened, she went and cast a spell on me, and bewitched me into what I know will be even greater heartache further down the track once more.

How does it happen when you are so adamant that it won't?

Who knows.......but I can tell you that lap it up whilst you have it, because it doesn't last forever.

Sure I love them all and have loved them all.

I have shed tears over everyone I have lost.

But with 'the special ones,' it is losing a purpose to wake up in the morning, a feeling of inadequacy to get through each day without those adorable eyes looking up at you.

It is not wanting to watch telly if you haven't got that warm body pushing in beside you, basically in everything you do just not wanting to do it alone.

I can remember the first thunderstorm here after I lost my last heart dog, I was thinking of her and wondering if she would still be frightened. She always hated being wet and I went out and put a tarp over her grave. I had a week off work after we lost her and even 12 months later I would often just burst into tears when anyone mentioned her name.

It is something very hard to explain to anyone who hasn't felt it, but for those who are lucky enough to have shared that special bond, well they know how blessed they truly are.

I've only had 2 heart dogs, and I feel a tad guilty saying that, as I have some friends who have never had one.

One of my friends thinks I am awful for unashamedly admitting that I love my Princess much more than any others, but I always say to her that when she feels that special connection with one herself, only then will she understand.

It is not something that one can plan, it just happens like they have bewitched you.

After I lost my last one, I vow and declared that I would never let myself fall in love with a 'special one' ever again!

And 6 years down the track it happened, she went and cast a spell on me, and bewitched me into what I know will be even greater heartache further down the track once more.

How does it happen when you are so adamant that it won't?

Who knows.......but I can tell you that lap it up whilst you have it, because it doesn't last forever.

Sure I love them all and have loved them all.

I have shed tears over everyone I have lost.

But with 'the special ones,' it is losing a purpose to wake up in the morning, a feeling of inadequacy to get through each day without those adorable eyes looking up at you.

It is not wanting to watch telly if you haven't got that warm body pushing in beside you, basically in everything you do just not wanting to do it alone.

I can remember the first thunderstorm here after I lost my last heart dog, I was thinking of her and wondering if she would still be frightened. She always hated being wet and I went out and put a tarp over her grave. I had a week off work after we lost her and even 12 months later I would often just burst into tears when anyone mentioned her name.

It is something very hard to explain to anyone who hasn't felt it, but for those who are lucky enough to have shared that special bond, well they know how blessed they truly are.

Aww that sounds realyl special.

I have to admit, I have tried not to love my wee Pippi quite so much. We got her about 5 weeks after my special girl Chevy was PTS at 12. I got Chevy when she was only 5 weeks old and I was 17. She went through a lot of firsts with me, baby, move away from home and she just made it for first move overseas. I just though no dog will ever come close to being like my special girl.

Then along came the Pipster. Our first little dog after being anti-little dog. She is by far the naughtiest dog weve ever had, the hardest to train and also the sweetest with the best cuddles. I am sooo in love with her its ridiculous. She gives everyone wonderful greetings when we get home, and she will go and have a cuddle with the kid or the OH, but otherwise its her ma she wants to be with.

I love my big boy too, adore him in fact. But I do feel like Pippi and I have a very special bond and tbh, I feel a bit guilty when I think of Chevy as I just feel like she should have been the only special dog...

If that makes sense

lesley, lana, both your stories are beautiful; very touching indeed :)

for me, i don't know atm where i stand...

i have bella, my first ever dog who took days, maybe longer to crawl in and snuggle into my heart so it wasn't immediate but now i wonder how i ever managed without her and only this past week we celebrated her 2nd anniversary with us ;)

quite often i just have to snuggle her because if i don't, i think i would simply dissolve because i ache for her so much ;)

then there's byron --- it's been just short of 12 months since he came into our lives and he's developed in leaps and bounds over the past several months and damn it if he isn't stealing my soul...

each of them, separately and together form this one thing that just envelopes me and when i'm away from them, i sometimes feel an intense need to be with them --- i don't know how to explain such an ache, a physical and emotional overwhelming need...

now i have bobbie, my 8-mo foster fail kitty and i can't explain the conundrum i find myself in with her, bella and byron *sigh*

if anything were to happen to either one of them, i believe i would simply die...

edited for clarity and of course some spelling

Edited by Skruffy n Flea

My first dog Tammy was my heart dog...I absolutely adored her (well the whole family did). Then when Tammy passed away at the age of about 15, we adopted Jessie. Jessie is not my heart dog, nor am I her heart owner :grouphug: ...she has been a velcro dog with my mum since day 1, and it was something that frustrated me so much until we adopted Tilly. Since then Jessie and I have bonded more and she loves coming out with Tilly and I.

The moment I met Tilly I loved her to bits....she is not an easy dog, but there is something special about her. I am super protective of her, I just can't help it!

We have 3 dogs but I would do anything for my heart dog and she would do anything for me. It's just the way it is. I adore all the dogs and don't neglect the others in anyway but me and the heart dog just have a different connection and engage on a deeper level.

I think heart dogs take us by surprise. It is not because they are cuter or smarter than your other pets either. My heart dog was a rescue pup that no-one else wanted and has been the naughtiest dog at times - far from beautiful or obedient. There does seem to be a mutual understanding of each other that just happens.

You will know it when you have it happen - you wont even need to ponder it.

Cool thanks.

I don't belong on any other dog forums so have never heard it before. I go on a couple of "general topic" forums that have pet areas but no specific doggy people.

I think my wee Pippi might be my heart dog then....although I feel bad for saying it as I always assumed that my first dog was that.

I have that same bad feeling about my old dog who I had to sadly put to sleep at a young age. She was pretty special and I cried for probably 6 months and some times still do about her but Oscar is pretty special to me and I'd be tempted to say he is my heart dog, we are so intune with each other it is crazy.

Oscar is still young but even as a pup has always had an old soul. He really is an amazing boy. :grouphug:

It is not because they are cuter or smarter than your other pets either.

Absolutely...when I saw Tilly's photo on the pound website I thought she looked like a total lunatic (I was right, but she is a loveable lunatic :grouphug: ), but my dad loved her photo, and on the day we were heading out to the pound I showed dad the different profiles I had printed out, and he wanted Tilly's profile printed out too, so I reluctantly printed it off (I was mainly reluctant because I didn't want to adopt another female dog, because of the potential issues).

Obviously I'm biased, but Tilly is a pretty cute dog, but her cuteness is just a bonus...i'd still love her just as much if she was totally hideous looking, because she's got such a lovely nature.

This was the first photo I saw of Tilly:

MatildaBlacktownPound.jpg

And Tilly at home:

3890769399_676af06fe2.jpg

Matilda by fainty_girl, on Flickr

Heart dog is the dog you know you will never forget and will be talking about for the rest of your life... the one you think about and makes you smile... the one that has changed your life and made is just a bit better and special... the one you will miss most when you're away... the one you go to when you need to be cheered up...

My Chuckster has left a mark on my heart and claim it to be forever his.

Edited by CW EW

A heart dog is a dog that truly owns part of your heart and soul. My heart dog 'Truck' was a kelpie cross i rescued as a 3 week old pup. She has been gone over 8 yrs now. She lived to 13 and when she died I felt like my world had caved in. It was like part of me had died with her. I withdrew from everyone and fell into a deep black hole of depression. I couldnt look at any pics of her for 6 motnhs, and it was ayear before I could handle having any pics of her displayed in my home. I dont know how I would have climbed out of that dark hole if I hadnt had my big old boofa Spud.

Spud died in 2007 aged 12 and while i grieved him and still miss him I wasnt destroyed when he died, just very sad.

Ripley the pup in my siggie was only 12 weeks old when he died in a ghastly freak accident in my backyard. I believe he would have become my 2nd heart dog. I was just connected to him in a way thats hard to explain. Losing him so young and so horribly shattered me. I withdrew from the dog world, stopped attending dog shows etc for more than a year. I also fell into the black hole again when I lost him and it took me months to climb back out.

I currently own 8 dogs and love them all, and although I know I will grieve and cry when they eventually pass on, I know I will be ok. A heart dog is different. I still miss my Truckie-poo and often call my current kelpie cross (named Chilli), 'Truck' without thinking. Its only jsut coming up to 2 yrs since i lost Ripley so thats still quite fresh in my mind. Truck is buried at my parents house, but Ripley was buried in the backyard of a house I have now sold. It was so hard leaving him behind there.

I will always have dogs, but doubt I will ever have another heart dog. Two heart dogs is more than many ppl get in a lifetime.

ETA: My first litter is due on the anniversary of Ripleys' death.. makes me feel both happy and sad at the same time. Also I bought a stud dog (an italian greyhound) around ayear ago. He was 3 yrs old when I bought him and when his papers arrived I realised he had the same registered name as Ripley. They were both named (kennel prefix) Firestorm. This little dog is very dear to me, and I am extremely attached to him. He is easily my fav iggy (i have 4 of them).

Because of the way Rippley died I guess I have always tried to find meaning in his death. Having another dog with the same reg name as him and having a litter due on the anniversary of his death adds a little meaning for me and I take great comfort in that.

Edited by indigirl

Ah yes. I know what a heart dog is. My old girl Lotta was one. She died at nearly 19 years of age and I was absolutely devastated. It took me a long time to get over her loss even tho she was so old at the time. Many people dont understand that. It's like a part of me died with her. I don't mean that morbidly. She just had a special connection to me. I had total faith in her and she had total faith in me. There was nothing I could ask her to do that she wouldn't do. And she never gave me any reason to be angry at her. Even when she was a puppy she was the most well behaved puppy I've ever met.

She was fierce when she needed to protect me or the other dogs but otherwise not an aggressive bone in her body.

But it was not for any of these reasons that she was my heart dog - tho they contributed. It was just that connection that is so rare and difficult to define.

At the time I had another boy dog who I rescued at 12 months old. He almost developed into a heart dog - but not quite. He had a connection with me too but he also seemed to connect with many other people. He was one hell of a special boy. Sadly I lost him a year after I lost my old girl - I had barely recovered from her loss at the time. I fell apart over him too.

Pepper I love to bits - but she's not a heart dog like my old girl was.

<---- See that look... only I get that from him.

Yep he's my heart dog. Never before or since have I found a boy like Chop. Our connection is something that words can't describe.

I nearly lost him last year and I can honestly say it felt like someone was literally pulling my heart out of my chest.

I treasure every single minute with him.

(and as everyone else has said, it's not that I don't love Bella or Chief.... Chop just has my heart)