Dry Food That Does Not Contain Wheat, Corn Or Soy?

Erny

Hi :laugh:

I'm hoping to save a whole packet of time and trudging through sites to find out the answer to my question, so I thought I'd pop in here first as someone might have this answer right there at their fingertips.

I'm looking for a good quality dry food that does not contain wheat, corn or soy.

Anyone know?

Edited by Erny

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi :laugh:

I'm hoping to save a whole packet of time and trudging through sites to find out the answer to my question, so I thought I'd pop in here first as someone might have this answer right there at their fingertips.

I'm looking for a good quality dry food that does not contain wheat, corn or soy.

Anyone know?

Artemis or Canidae :laugh:

I'm feeding Howie the Canidae All Life Stages grain free atm. As it has other vegetable fillers, the protein on it isn't through the roof like Artemis Maximal.

Edited by poodlefan

Bless you all. Thanks :laugh:.

Would I be right in thinking that the "Canidae All Life Stages" dry food be the best to offer to a dog who is also fed cooked chicken (because that's the ONLY meat he'll eat - won't touch beef, lamb etc and won't eat anything raw)? (ie so as the protein element isn't ridiculous).

Having come as far as we have :laugh: I am now trying to adjust his diet to something better than it has been. I've kept him going (reasonably well, even if I do say so myself) on his cooked chicken even if I have had to syringe vitamin supplements down his throat for a good amount of time.

This is the part that I think will now adjust his stools to something healthier. And if that happens, it can only mean that I'm doing the right or better thing by his gut. And if that happens, maybe one day I can get him back to being able to cope with bones and other meats. But one thing at a time :).

BTW - for those who don't know and if this makes a difference to anyone's advice, Mandela is 2 years and 3 months old (Ridgeback).

Edited by Erny

Bless you all. Thanks :laugh:.

Would I be right in thinking that the "Canidae All Life Stages" dry food be the best to offer to a dog who is also fed cooked chicken (because that's the ONLY meat he'll eat - won't touch beef, lamb etc and won't eat anything raw)? (ie so as the protein element isn't ridiculous).

Having come as far as we have :laugh: I am now trying to adjust his diet to something better than it has been. I've kept him going (reasonably well, even if I do say so myself) on his cooked chicken even if I have had to syringe vitamin supplements down his throat for a good amount of time.

This is the part that I think will now adjust his stools to something healthier. And if that happens, it can only mean that I'm doing the right or better thing by his gut. And if that happens, maybe one day I can get him back to being able to cope with bones and other meats. But one thing at a time :).

BTW - for those who don't know and if this makes a difference to anyone's advice, Mandela is 2 years and 3 months old (Ridgeback).

The Canidae has other meats in it. How does Mandella feel about fish? Canidae also do a Lamb and Rice and a Salmon that might suit. Maybe if you PM Sagitarrian she can make a recommendation. Or get Artemis and Canidae to send you some samples? All the ingredients for these foods are on the Manufacturers Australian websites.

Maybe if you PM Sagitarrian she can make a recommendation.

Couldn't find Sagitarrian in the Member List. Tried some spelling variations, but obviously not the right one.

Good suggestion regards sending me samples to try out.

Off to find Aussie Manufacturer contacts :laugh:.

PS ... Mandela quite enjoys seafood. It's been really difficult for me to tell what does what with his stomach though. I remember way back at the beginning of his digestive woes that I had him on Eagle Pack and switched over to the Eagle Pack Duck and then the Eagle Pack Fish one. He would do well on each for a while after I'd changed, but then would go off (both in terms of not wanting to eat it and bad stools). I do feed him sardines from time to time but because it isn't a real frequently regular occurrence, I haven't noticed anything that would correlate to fish upsetting his system. I do tend to find that he is a pretty good judge of what is right or wrong for him. It is a fine line between avoiding teaching him to be a fussy eater and trusting his instincts, but for the most part I trust it has been the latter.

Edited by Erny

I am looking to change too as I just can't get EP holistic any more and everyone I speak to says they are going to stop stocking it including my online store.

I was worried when I googled Canidae and saw they had a class action against them for poisoning in the US. :laugh:

Is the protein level high in Canidae compared to say EP, just wondering what the effect would be on changing on a nearly 8 year old dog whose weight I now need to watch.

Friends say Nutro is good but is it premium brand?

Very confusing it is a bugger when you are used to something and your dog does well and then they go and run out of stock.

Sorry to hijack your thread Erny :laugh:

ETA: sense.

Edited by Quickasyoucan

I am looking to change too as I just can't get EP holistic any more and everyone I speak to says they are going to stop stocking it including my online store.

I was worried when I googled Canidae and saw they had a class action against them for poisoning in the US. :laugh:

Is the protein level high in Canidae compared to say EP, just wondering what the effect would be on changing on a nearly 8 year old dog whose weight I now need to watch.

Protein and fat levels vary according to the product. I've been looking at the Canidae Platinum which is the seniors/weight control one they do. Its 20% protein and 8.5% fat.

Sagittarian is trying one of her older dogs on it. I'm awaiting the result of the experiment. :laugh:

:laugh: No! Stop! You have pushed my paranoia button !!!! I was about to step out to get some (just found a local stockist).

Friends say Nutro is good but is it premium brand?

Good question. Their website says "Premium" ........... and it is Aussie made, which I like. And from what I can see, there's a store no more than 5 minutes from me which stocks it.

Sorry to hijack your thread Erny :)

Hey - hi jack away. Good questions and I (and others) get to learn from it :love:.

my 4 frenchies are on Canidea ALS and they love it...just finished their first large bag

coats look great...first week i thought they seem to have pooped more but all back to normal now...I changed them over slowly from RC

price I think is good and $5 delivery is great :grouphug:

Did I hear my name? :laugh:

Okay, I did trial Evie on several varieties of Canidae and she did well on, and enjoyed all. These included the Lamb and Rice, Chicken and Rice, and the Salman Grain free (oh, and old dog food, Platinum). None of these varieties contain wheat, corn, or soy, nor do they have beet pulp, which does seem to affect some dog who get yeast infections (ears, feet, skin etc).

Artemis we used extensively, mostly the weight management (which suited as it is lower calorie), but also the adult, and the osopure, which is chicken and rice. Maximal she did try, but she had no real need for a grain free good and was prone to weight gain, so the higher calories weren't her best option, but may be for a highly active doggie. Artemis also does not contain wheat, corn or soy, or beet pulp!

The third holistic that we offered her when it came out is the Earthborn Holistic (made by the makers of Pro Pac). She particularly loved the Ocean Fusion, which is purely fish based from a protein perspective. They also have a grain free which is called Primitive Natural, and I have a friend using that with great results. Again, no wheat, corn or soy, no beet pulp.

I keep hearing that Nutro contains no wheat. Unfortunately, some varieties most certainly do, in the form of wheat flour, which for a wheat sensitive dog, may be worth noting.

Erny, feel free to pm me if you need contacts with any of the above companies and wish to speak to reps. Happy food hunting!

Sags

:)

Did I hear my name? :D

Okay, I did trial Evie on several varieties of Canidae and she did well on, and enjoyed all. These included the Lamb and Rice, Chicken and Rice, and the Salman Grain free (oh, and old dog food, Platinum). None of these varieties contain wheat, corn, or soy, nor do they have beet pulp, which does seem to affect some dog who get yeast infections (ears, feet, skin etc).

Sags

:laugh:

Warning: slight hijack :)

Sags would you recommend the Platinum? I've been happy with the Artemis Seniors but would prefer to feed a kibble that is something other than chicken based as my dogs get a lot of that anyway.

Did I hear my name? :D

LOL .... the whispers through the DOL threads always manage to find their way :laugh:.

Thanks for the info Sag.

I purchased the Canidae yesterday (bought the Salmon - mainly for the "one protein source" .... although I still do feed cooked chicken), but he wouldn't touch it (gave it a VERY thorough sniffing and sifting with his nose, but said "nup". I played marbles with 3 kibble pieces and this interested him enough into eating them, but only after he spat them out a couple of times. I thought this might give him the taste for them. But no, he still wasn't interested enough to go back to the bowl.

I thought perhaps it was that he just wasn't hungry enough for them. So I experimented by offering a bowl of the Royal Canin Sensible. He ate a reasonable amount of those without trouble.

Fortunately, Canidae give a money back guarantee and I can return them. I'll give them another go before I do though, just to see. If that doesn't work I thought I'd try the "All Life Stages" Canidae. This will at least hint at whether it was the flavour that put him off, or not. He went off EP Salmon way way back when - so perhaps there's a lasting memory of stomach discomfort attached to the fishy flavoured dog food. Or maybe he just knows better than I do about what he can eat and cope with :) .

Erny, feel free to pm me if you need contacts with any of the above companies and wish to speak to reps. Happy food hunting!

Thanks Sags. I spoke with a Canidae Rep and also a Nutro Rep yesterday. I'm hoping the Nutro (which I will try if the Canidae doesn't work) has a money back guarantee as well. It's way expensive enough without your dog ending up not eating it or it not suiting. Nutro are sending out a brochure to me.

Erny:

Fortunately, Canidae give a money back guarantee and I can return them. I'll give them another go before I do though, just to see. If that doesn't work I thought I'd try the "All Life Stages" Canidae. This will at least hint at whether it was the flavour that put him off, or not. He went off EP Salmon way way back when - so perhaps there's a lasting memory of stomach discomfort attached to the fishy flavoured dog food. Or maybe he just knows better than I do about what he can eat and cope with .

Funny about the Salmon. I got a sample of the EP Holistic Select Salmon and none of mine would touch it. Howie will usually eat anything.

He likes the ALS. :)

All good.

Erny, if you do end up with Nutro, just be certain it isn't one that contains wheat flour.

PF- Platinum was actually her favourite. It has a mix of meat proteins so offers a bit more interest for some dogs.

I wish I could still be testing foods and reporting back, but that is all in the past now.

Sags