Dog Aggressive Jrt

Riley'n'Mia

Our family pet 3 yr old female JRT Mia was formerly a fun loving extremely dog friendly girl until a couple of weeks ago when our 3 yr old male GSD Riley died in a tradgic accident (choking on his kong ball). Mia has shown no signs of depression or behavioural changes since Riley's passing except when other dogs go near her she is very aggressive and frightened she has her tail between her legs, head down and launches at them no matter the size of the dog and attacks. I thought I was doing the right thing organising a play date with a dog she'd played with on numerous occasions when Riley was alive as I thought she would be lonely, the meeting has been on neutral ground and both dogs on leads (as they always have been in the past when we first meet up, then at usual meetings once they say hello we take the leads off and they play happily and we have to drag them away as they are having so much fun). Mia is very loving towards her human family and especially my 2 yr old daughter I just don't understand what is going on with her as far as other dogs are concerned. I am only a pet owner and don't quite understand the inner workings of a dogs mind but would really like to understand what she's going through so I can perhaps help her as this is still a hard time for our whole family Riley is very much missed by us all. Could she be thinking now Riley is gone she must take on the role of alpha leader or something ?

Not sure if this is relevant but Riley died in the back of our landcruiser and Mia was beside him in the car (whilst we were rushing to the vets).

Thanks for any help or advice,

Jade

I hope someone with some knowledge posts soon to help you. I wanted to say how sorry I am to hear Riley has passed away in such a way. I think Mia might be feeling very uncertain at the moment with Rileys sudden disappearance. I hope you can find some help for your little Mia.

Riley was the packleader, and was giving her confidence. I have no idea whether she has sufficient confidence to overcome the aggression on her own but it is obviously due to lack of the pack leader.

You might try to replace him when she meets other dogs but probably wont be able to.

and she is probaby grieving

Maybe ask a behavorist?

I was really sorry to read about what happened to Riley -- I actually couldn't believe that something like a kong could do that.

I absolutely agree with Octavia about Riley being the pack leader but I'd like to ask it Riley and Mia went out together with other dogs around. If they did, maybe Mia was more confident around other dogs because she had big brother Riley to protect her from whatever horrors she'd face in the big world. Without Riley around she'd probably feel vulnerable without his protection.

I also feel that Mia may need some help to overcome this aggression because I'd really hate for something to happen when she snaps and could cause damage to either another dog or to a human (even if only accidently).

My thoughts are with you during this hard time and I really hope dear little Mia gets better soon because I know she'll be missing her dear friend as much as you are. You might even find that she can still smell him around but can't understand why she can't find him anywhere. My Zeus still searches for Poochie in the garage every morning and even sleeps in her kennel some days so I guess he misses her to some degree still too.

Hugs and kisses to all! :eek::love:

I'd like to ask it Riley and Mia went out together with other dogs around. If they did, maybe Mia was more confident around other dogs because she had big brother Riley to protect her from whatever horrors she'd face in the big world. Without Riley around she'd probably feel vulnerable without his protection.

You might even find that she can still smell him around but can't understand why she can't find him anywhere. My Zeus still searches for Poochie in the garage every morning and even sleeps in her kennel some days so I guess he misses her to some degree still too.

Hugs and kisses to all! :eek::love:

Yes riverstar Riley and Mia were always walked daily and together I work on a farm where there are lots of other dogs and this is generally where the interaction with the other dogs took place. Riley was never overly aggressive towards other dogs but he liked to stand over them and dominate them so I always kept him on lead when dogs other than Mia where in our company.

We are still finding Riley's hair everywhere so I assume Mia can still smell and sense him everywhere and she lies on his bed outside during the day rather than her own. Sorry to hear you lost Poochie and Zeus is still greiving I never realised something like this would affect us all this much.

When my Jessie suddenly passed last year I was given the advice to use the NILIF program with our other dog (do a search for it). The pack dynamics were different in our case (Harry was alpha dog) and in the end I didn't think it was necessary, but maybe it would be helpful for Mia. Hopefully somebody with experience in this will know.

I hope you are feeling a little better after the initial shock of Riley's passing; I really feel for you :love:

Was Mia hurt by Riley during that final ride in the car?

No Riley could not breathe and collapsed and died whilst I was in the back with them still trying to get the ball out of his throat she was on the other side of me and didn't see him again until we stopped the car at the vets and he was gone, she was very scared when she did see him and didn't want to go anywhere near the car and still doesn't of course amid all the chaos we got her out of the car and away from Riley as soon as we stopped the car but she still knew what was going on.

Edited by Riley'n'Mia

I would definitely seek the help of a behaviourist about it, Im guessing poor Mia is very lost without her pack leader and isnt sure what to do when she meets other dogs now, she could be used to Rileys 'ok' to talk to other dogs, but now Riley isnt there to give the ok so she doesnt know what to do around other dogs