Puppy Eating Snails

frufru

Our 4 month old standard poodle puppy loves hunting and eating the large number of snails that are around our garden - we try to monitor but she invariably ingests quite a few. Does any one know of any problems caused buy eating snails - I was thinking specifically of parasites? Hopefully she will grow out of the behaviour with some ongoing training.

Edited by frufru

My Mini Schnauzer also lovesss snotty snails .. It's rather gross but i'm not 100% sure he eats them ... he loves to smash the shells and get the little buggers out ...

I'd be interested in knowing if its a good or bad thing ...

:)

I suppose FruFru could always saute them in garlic. Surelyl that's how poodles should eat snails.

I just googled "snail parasites". Snails can be secondary hosts to stomach and liver flukes but I have no idea if that affects dogs or not.

Edited by poodlefan

My main concern along with the lung worm (never heard of it before) would be if any of your neighbours use snail bait that the snails could have poisen in them, especially if she is eating lots of them. We had the same problem with Mokha so had to be very vigilant about catching him trying to eat them and telling him to leave it. Thankfully he did loose interest in them as he got older, probably about a year of age, and he is a labrador so giving up eating anything that is edible is a miracle.

Edited by mokhahouse

Thanks for the links all - as I said we do monitor but she is quite determined being a brown standard poodle puppy LOL. None of my neighbours use snail bait so I am more concerned about the parasites - never seen a rat in 10 years so I am hoping we sidestepped that one.

Kosmo loves a nice tasty snail. Maybe its the canine equivalent of the crackling on a Pork roast?

Personally I find dogs chewing on 'their own stuff' far more disguisting, so was fairly comfortable with snails. I'll stop him if I see it, but there is very little you can do because snail bait is such a no-no.

Kosmo loves a nice tasty snail. Maybe its the canine equivalent of the crackling on a Pork roast?

Personally I find dogs chewing on 'their own stuff' far more disguisting, so was fairly comfortable with snails. I'll stop him if I see it, but there is very little you can do because snail bait is such a no-no.

could be the poodles french origin ''escargot''

I have seen some snail baits eg (Multicrop MULTIGAUARD) which contain different chemicals and are only dangerous in large amounts, ie getting hold of a full box.We use this in a fenced off vege garden.

Has anyone used these and what do you think about their claims ?

One of my dogs (can't honestly remember which one now, might have been the greyhound) used to eat snails and they made her sick - as in throwing up sick. I then started using snail traps and end of problem.

Snail traps are a much safer alternative to baits. You should be able to find them in garden supply shops. :laugh: