Should I Let Lucy Go A Ratting?

megan_

Should I Let Lucy Go A Ratting?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Should I Let Lucy Go A Ratting?

• yes
    • no

There is a rat (eeeek!) that lives under my decking. I have suspected this for the last few weeks (due to Lucy's sudden interest in the outdoor area) but it was confirmed last night when Basil (the rat) came onto the decking when the dogs came inside after a toilet break.

Lucy has a very strong prey drive, and ratting was the original purpose of her breed. She really loves running back and forth, trying to get to Basil.

I have been letting her out for about 1/2 an hour a night to chase Basil, but I'm wondering if I should.

On one hand, it is her breed instincts working (which is great to watch, even though I am terrified that she will get him and I'll have to dispose of the body), but I'm a worrier:

* What if Basil gets baited (my neighbours don't bait, Basil is still alive, Lucy has caught a rat before and never even made a puncture mark, she just shook it to death, never tried to eat it)? Even though I know she is 99% safe, I still worry.

* She goes under the decking, and I'm sure there are all sorts of spiders there. I seem to find a lot of redbacks in my garnde, no matter how much cleaning up I do. I have lots of big plants and pots so thye seem to find lots of places to hide. I then tell myself that spider bites are always a risk and she is a dog. If I reduced all the risks her life would be very boring.

* I know that, unlike a cat, if she does catch him his death will be quick and she won't torture him.

So...should I let her continue hunting Basil?

As much as I hate rats, I have a bit of a soft spot for him. He is actually clever. When he was out on the decking, I banged the door, stomped my foot etc and he just froze - he didn't run away. As soon as I turned the lock, he was off. I think he knows "lock turned = dogs come out"?

Edited by megan_

I'm a sooky la la though. I'd be more worried about injury to her, should she misjudge and the rat get his fangs into her.

I've always tried to discourage or redirect that kind of behaviour in my animals. If they need to chase something, chase the ball. If they need to 'kill' something I'd play tug of war or give them a toy they can destroy.

Dory took off after paddock bunnies once. My heart was in my throat the whole time, because I wondered how far she would keep running until she'd give up. Or whether she'd string herself up on fencing.

It's not their drive I object to. It's the potential for an injury when their drive is so high and they are so focussed that they don't think about things like barbed wire or sharp teethies....or venom.

I understand what you're saying Dory and Miss B, hence my worrying.

I play tug with her, but I don't get the same drive as when she's hunting. She was abused, so she tends to let go if I pull back at all. She loves her toys, but nothing beats a live rat.

Even though she has a strong prey drive, she still has a great recall. I have recalled her off chasing a low flying bird (in a fenced off leash park) before, so I'm not worried about her taking off in other situations.

I voted yes.

I have a JRT and she would go nuts until she got it if it was at our house. She has caught many mice in the past and she LOVES catching them. Although it's not for the faint hearted, she let's out an ear peircing scream while chasing them down and once caught she shakes them and throws them in the air and there is often blood. Once they are dead I remove them so she can't eat them (although she has never tried to and usually loses interest in them once they're dead).

Interesting dobesrock. Lucy is absolutely silent when hunting. I often find her standing like a statue - I think she's trying to convince Basil that she's not there.

It has helped with her toilet training - first thing in the morning she is desperate to go outside.

I have to confess that I'm in two minds.

It is one thing having a dog that IMAGINES it has a prey drive, no matter how good an imitation it gives, it's an entirely different ballgame when that prey drive is actually realised and the dog becomes obsessed and even in some cases, possibly dangerous.

And of course, there is also the risk of disease and as previously mentioned, poisoning.

well given that rattus rattus has moved in and teh dog appears interested i would be allowing a hunt.. at least then you are in control and can remove dead rat when caught

my guys all love the concept but are not quite like their auntie Lucinda who could catch usually three mice when the feed troughs were lifted ( on a good day 5) she was lightnng fast god bless her

H

I have to vote no.

As a previous owner of JRT who loved to hunt, actually lived to hunt, she hunted and was killed by a snake early in the year.

I now have a mini Schnauzer who I discourage from hunting, thankfully she doesn't seem to have high prey drive.

I have to confess that I'm in two minds.

It is one thing having a dog that IMAGINES it has a prey drive, no matter how good an imitation it gives, it's an entirely different ballgame when that prey drive is actually realised and the dog becomes obsessed and even in some cases, possibly dangerous.

And of course, there is also the risk of disease and as previously mentioned, poisoning.

I see your point. She has killed a rat before. When we go lure coursing and racing, she "switches off" very easily and happily comes trotting to me - nice as pie. Some fo the other dogs seem very riled up and snappy after the race. If she was like this I wouldn't let her even go lure coursing.

I didn't think of disease. Basil has managed to evade her. As per the OP, when the door lock goes he makes himself scares. She can't reach under most of the decking, so I assume it is going to be very hard for her to actually kill him.