Boarding Kennels / Petsitting Near Brisbane

loeka

Hi,

I'm looking for a good boarding kennel or a petsitter in or around Brisbane (am willing to travel!!!). I've never had my dog stay at a kennel and unfortunately the one that was recommended to me by my trainer is fully booked during Christmas. I'm looking to board my dog for three weeks over Christmas because me and my partner are going back to Europe to visit the family. I'm pretty nervous because Loeka's still young (11 months) and he's not the easiest dog in the world (anxious/reactive). To be honest, I don't want to burden my friends with this responsibility plus I don't think I can trust them ; )

Also, speaking of anxious, *I* am worried about putting him in a kennel for three weeks. Do dogs really not mind it? I hear people tell me their dogs LOVE the kennel and have SO MUCH fun but I don't know. The kennels seem pretty small and "complementary walks twice a day" gives me shudders (seriously? are "free" walks supposed to entice me to use a particular kennel? I'd EXPECT a kennel to exercise the dog?).

I've googled but there are so many kennels out there and I have no idea which one is good or not. I'd love to find a kennel / someone who could continue to train him 10 minutes in the day and has experience with anxious dogs. Distance and price - it doesn't matter as long as it's rocks loeka's socks!

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies

Cheers!

ok my boy loves to go to Animal world pet motel at cornubia, however the dogs sleep in kennels outside, so he barks (because he is an inside dog) but there they have approx 6 runs to a grassy patch and during the day the dogs are free to play with each other on the grass. because of the inside thing he has since been to Bark Royal at nerang, where they sleep inside, they have "luxury suites" and regular runs all inside, they go outside in the morning and afternoon, however i didnt think that was long enough for my working dog, so i booked him in for "group play" sessions at an extra i think $9 for a 20 min session. if you have the money to spend they might be a good option, you can book in beach trips, they now have a pool for the dogs and other activities, ie bush walks so maybe will give your pup and adventure when you are away depending what you want. I am looking for a closer kennel and prob a cheaper one atm, am thinking Beenleigh Pet Motel as they also have luxury runs where the dogs have access to their own grass run all day but thats all i know about them..

good luck in finding a place, honestly it is the owner who suffers the most when putting a dog in a kennel, i feel bad every time, but i come home to a happy healthy dog, so you should really have nothing to worry about, but go with your gut, if you dont like the place/pple then do not leave your dog with them

Edited by dandybrush

Having owned a home dog boarding service a few years ago I think I can pretty safely say that by this time of the year nearly every one will be fully booked. If they are not full then I would be wondering why not and are they just the "no so good" ones left with availability.

Seriously though, if you dont trust your dog with friends and family because it would be "too hard" for them then I would recommend using a kennel. I used to hate it when I would get owners absolutely lie through their back teeth just to get their dog into care at Christmas because they had left it too late and all the kennels were booked out. Then the dog would be the biggest pain in the neck and be destroying everything and barking all day and impossible to move to another minder or a kennel because everyone was booked out. If you cant find the right place for your dog I would suggest cancelling our holiday and trying again next year when you have a lot more time to plan and get your dog into the right place for it. There is nothing worse than getting a phone call when you are on the other side of the world saying "Come home now" because your dog is being a nightmare!! Some dogs I told the owners straight out MUST go into a kennel next time for their own safely and the sanity of the rest of the neighbourhood.

Otherwise you might be able to try a housesitter. At the Gold Coast Pet Expo there was a company called "Poppies" that were all vet nurses that did house sitting. I was going to use them for my 13 year old when we go away in a few weeks time but unfortunately she passed away two weeks ago. They seemed really nice though and I would assume a vet nurse would have a bit more knowledge about problem dogs than the average housesitter out there.

Guest RANDCMOORE31

I haven't used them - but there is a service called "Dont Fret Pet" which involves the dog being matched with a minder in their home. Might be worth investigating?

Hi,

I'm looking for a good boarding kennel or a petsitter in or around Brisbane (am willing to travel!!!). I've never had my dog stay at a kennel and unfortunately the one that was recommended to me by my trainer is fully booked during Christmas. I'm looking to board my dog for three weeks over Christmas because me and my partner are going back to Europe to visit the family. I'm pretty nervous because Loeka's still young (11 months) and he's not the easiest dog in the world (anxious/reactive). To be honest, I don't want to burden my friends with this responsibility plus I don't think I can trust them ; )

Also, speaking of anxious, *I* am worried about putting him in a kennel for three weeks. Do dogs really not mind it? I hear people tell me their dogs LOVE the kennel and have SO MUCH fun but I don't know. The kennels seem pretty small and "complementary walks twice a day" gives me shudders (seriously? are "free" walks supposed to entice me to use a particular kennel? I'd EXPECT a kennel to exercise the dog?).

I've googled but there are so many kennels out there and I have no idea which one is good or not. I'd love to find a kennel / someone who could continue to train him 10 minutes in the day and has experience with anxious dogs. Distance and price - it doesn't matter as long as it's rocks loeka's socks!

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies

Cheers!

I've pm'd you. Hope it helps :(

Thanks to everyone who replied! I really appreciate it.

Unfortunately, I can't cancel my trip (2,300 dollar flight :p ) and I haven't seen most of my family for two years so it's not an option. However, my partner is thinking of changing *his* dates if we can't find a suitable kennel for Christmas time and kenneling the dog BEFORE Christmas. So we'll be able to swing something if necessary.

Kirsty - thanks for the PM!

P.s. if anyone has any more ideas, it'll be uesful for further reference or any other dolers who are looking for a kennel : P

Cheers!

I wish I could help with rec's but we've kennelled our girls only once since moving here nearly a year ago. It was for two days/one night while we moved house. Never again. Too expensive, dogs were fine but our wallets were much lighter than they should have been. We were charged $14 to administer medication - two dogs were on tablets - that's $3.50 per dose. :p :grouphug: The boarding itself was ridiculously over priced because we chose an indoor suite as the dogs are used to being indoors. Had we chosen a standard outdoor kennel it would have been much less expensive but the dogs would have been miserable and cold. :rofl:

RANDCMOORE31 - I gave dontfretpet.com a call and they sounded great! They might even have a minder for us - it depends on how well they match my profile but it's looking good. So we'll see how that turns out. It's a bit more expensive than a kennel but it's at somebody's home. To be honest, the idea of him staying with a family and another dog sounds way better than a kennel. I really hope this works out!

Moggill Pet Motel might have a place too - has anybody had any experience with them?

I placed two rescue dogs at Moggill Pet Motel one weekend as I was full and had no room for them at home. The girls there were very good and didn't mind the male had stress diahorrea. They treated him with scourban and he was right as rain next morning. (The dogs were private surrenders and had all their vaccinations, etc - they came via my vet). It was only an overnighter though.

I use Redgum Kennels for when either the dogs or cats have to be boarded :laugh:

I looked at their site and it looks amazing. Unfortunately they were booked solid but I will keep them in mind for next time.

Not for everyone but have you thought of a housesitter? I know a few couples that housesit regularly and are wonderful dog loving people. I'm sure there is a website if you google it.

Good suggestions! I haven't looked into any of them but it would be the next step : )