I Tried To Be A Good Samaritan Last Night

kirsty79

So, last night OH and I got back from work, after an hour commute on the train like everyone else, exhausted after a long day at work. We noticed a stray dog running around the train station car park (peak hour with approx 200 cars in it) which is also next to a busy main road. It was black with GSH in him I think, extremely thin, terrible coat condition and suspected fleas as he was scratching horrendously. Sooooo friendly, came bounding up to me, tongue lolling out and tail wagging, and promptly sat down for ear scratches. He bounded off again (wouldn’t keep still for me to hold on to) and kept approaching lots of other commuters. He would wander and follow them to their cars. To my shock, everyone ignored him. One man tried to check for a collar, but upon seeing he didn’t have one, just walked off. He followed one lady to her car, she jumped in and reversed out of her parking space almost hitting him. I had to frantically wave and shout at her to stop otherwise she would have hit him. Clearly no one else was going to do anything, so I rang my usual vets for advice. They gave me the number for the local RSPCA centre. After 15 minutes on hold I finally got through to a guy who asked if the animal was hurt, I said I wasn’t certain but I didn’t think so, so he said well we can’t do anything, we could only come and get him if he is hurt (that’s after 15 minutes on hold listening to them offer assistance for lost or found animals). I was so angry but clearly not going to get anywhere. He offered no advice whatsoever. He said he could give me a local council number but they’d be closed and the nearest one open that he had was the Gold Coast. I rang off and decided to call our local police station. The dog was a hazard – he had almost been hit by vehicles and at one stage had jumped onto the train tracks. After again “please select option blah blah blah” and sitting on hold, I got through. I was told that they are extremely short staffed, had no available cars and they wouldn’t be able to send someone out, and that actually, they were Petrie Police Station and Narangba isn’t in their jurisdiction (10 minutes drive apart). He asked if I could take the dog home, to which I explained , no we already have a max of two dogs, one of which is fear aggressive of other dogs. He then offered me the number of Moreton Bay Council animal department. I said not only did I not have a pen on me but I was almost out of credit on my mobile. He said he’d ask someone to call me. 10/15 minutes later they did and said the ranger was on his way, had been given my details and that he’d call if going to be delayed. Phew! Sigh of relief.

In the meantime, two vile teenagers turned up shouting “hey, you found our dog”. I explained the ranger was on his way – they would need to speak to him because:

a. The dog had no licence.

b. He was entire

c. He was neglected and in poor condition, with a large lump on his stomach

d. Was abandoned by them at the station (they admitted) whilst they caught a train to see friend and then came back and hour later

The kids went on to explain that a friend of theirs had found the dog two weeks ago, but decided he didn’t want to keep it anymore and so had left it with them. They had no money to feed or care for it and didn’t see overly fussed about doing so. As they stated “they ain’t paying any money for it”.

By now, almost two hours have passed of standing at the train station, in the dark, our own dogs at home alone. I decided to retrieve the rangers number and find out how much longer he thought he’d be.

I explained to him about the kids turning up, and his response was “well, I’m going to be quite a while so you may as well just let them take the dog”. It turns out the ranger wasn’t even on his way and hadn’t even been given my name and number, just told a stray dog was at the train station. I explained the condition of the dog and he said well if I come and get it he is just going to be put down anyway. I asked what about the fact that the dog isn’t licensed, he said, oh well, we’ll catch up with them eventually. I said, but the kids can’t afford to look after him, get him registered, desexed,any vet care or anything and he said well if they say the dog is theirs, there is nothing legally we can do and we should let the kids take him.

I walked away in tears. :confused:

What the hell has happened to the world? When did people become so cold and uncaring? More importantly, how did the very people who are meant to care about animals welfare and are even PAID to assist, not give a rats ass. I’m devastated and I know in my heart that dog is not going to have a happy ending......

Can anyone tell me what else I should have done?

Edited by kirsty79

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. This is so sad.

I am not sure what else you can do in that situation, it really sounds like you did your best for that poor dog.

I guess in some way, it's good that these kids are at least looking after it (although I don't know if 'Looking after it' is really what they're doing)...

One of the really sad things is there is very little education, either in school or in the media, for kids to learn how to treat animals. The only way a kid really learns that is through having pets of their own or very responsible parents that teach them this. These kids were not malicious, they probably just didn't know any better.

It's hard when you feel so passionately about animal welfare to be faced with such callousness, but the reality is most people are uneducated about animals. The police...well , animals are low on their priority list. Animal welfare organisations are so resource-poor and overworked, that often their hands are tied too. Many people working in these organisations are completely burnt out (despite being the most caring people who got into the job due to their love of animals) and another animal to rescue becomes another 'job', another 'burden'.

I don't think this is about individual people being uncaring: there are systemic issues, political issues etc where animal welfare is not really very glamorous and not very high on any politicians agenda.

I think for things to change there has to be a lot more education of the public about these issues and more funding of rescue organisations.

But these are all 'pie in the sky' dreams unfortunately.

Thats not good hey :(

I would have taken him to a vet to scan him for a microchip, could have been a stolen dog that has been neglected & kept hidden & found a way out..

The rangers could have at least bother to come & scan him too, low life this one was :confused:

Good on you for trying to help as best you could!

So, last night OH and I got back from work, after an hour commute on the train like everyone else, exhausted after a long day at work. We noticed a stray dog running around the train station car park (peak hour with approx 200 cars in it) which is also next to a busy main road. It was black with GSH in him I think, extremely thin, terrible coat condition and suspected fleas as he was scratching horrendously. Sooooo friendly, came bounding up to me, tongue lolling out and tail wagging, and promptly sat down for ear scratches. He bounded off again (wouldn’t keep still for me to hold on to) and kept approaching lots of other commuters. He would wander and follow them to their cars. To my shock, everyone ignored him. One man tried to check for a collar, but upon seeing he didn’t have one, just walked off. He followed one lady to her car, she jumped in and reversed out of her parking space almost hitting him. I had to frantically wave and shout at her to stop otherwise she would have hit him. Clearly no one else was going to do anything, so I rang my usual vets for advice. They gave me the number for the local RSPCA centre. After 15 minutes on hold I finally got through to a guy who asked if the animal was hurt, I said I wasn’t certain but I didn’t think so, so he said well we can’t do anything, we could only come and get him if he is hurt (that’s after 15 minutes on hold listening to them offer assistance for lost or found animals). I was so angry but clearly not going to get anywhere. He offered no advice whatsoever. He said he could give me a local council number but they’d be closed and the nearest one open that he had was the Gold Coast. I rang off and decided to call our local police station. The dog was a hazard – he had almost been hit by vehicles and at one stage had jumped onto the train tracks. After again “please select option blah blah blah” and sitting on hold, I got through. I was told that they are extremely short staffed, had no available cars and they wouldn’t be able to send someone out, and that actually, they were Petrie Police Station and Narangba isn’t in their jurisdiction (10 minutes drive apart). He asked if I could take the dog home, to which I explained , no we already have a max of two dogs, one of which is fear aggressive of other dogs. He then offered me the number of Moreton Bay Council animal department. I said not only did I not have a pen on me but I was almost out of credit on my mobile. He said he’d ask someone to call me. 10/15 minutes later they did and said the ranger was on his way, had been given my details and that he’d call if going to be delayed. Phew! Sigh of relief.

In the meantime, two vile teenagers turned up shouting “hey, you found our dog”. I explained the ranger was on his way – they would need to speak to him because:

b. He was entire

d. Was abandoned by them at the station (they admitted) whilst they caught a train to see friend and then came back and hour later

The kids went on to explain that a friend of theirs had found the dog two weeks ago, but decided he didn’t want to keep it anymore and so had left it with them. They had no money to feed or care for it and didn’t see overly fussed about doing so. As they stated “they ain’t paying any money for it”.

By now, almost two hours have passed of standing at the train station, in the dark, our own dogs at home alone. I decided to retrieve the rangers number and find out how much longer he thought he’d be.

I explained to him about the kids turning up, and his response was “well, I’m going to be quite a while so you may as well just let them take the dog”. It turns out the ranger wasn’t even on his way and hadn’t even been given my name and number, just told a stray dog was at the train station. I explained the condition of the dog and he said well if I come and get it he is just going to be put down anyway. I asked what about the fact that the dog isn’t licensed, he said, oh well, we’ll catch up with them eventually. I said, but the kids can’t afford to look after him, get him registered, desexed,any vet care or anything and he said well if they say the dog is theirs, there is nothing legally we can do and we should let the kids take him.

I walked away in tears. :(

What the hell has happened to the world? When did people become so cold and uncaring? More importantly, how did the very people who are meant to care about animals welfare and are even PAID to assist, not give a rats ass. I’m devastated and I know in my heart that dog is not going to have a happy ending......

Good on you for making the effort..that's what is so sadly lacking nowadays..people who care. You've shown by your actions that you do and I personally commend you (for what it's worth) for not just walking away..that's the far easier option.

Doesn't say much about today's society, people are too wrapped up in themselves to give a damn! You did great in stopping and taking all steps to try and help this poor dog. Personally I could not have walked away and perhaps would have taken the dog to a vet to see if it was microchipped. I agree with Baxter in that there could always be a chance that the dog may have been stolen or simply lost......

What a major let down by the ranger, nothing short of a non-caring prick!

damn, for all your best efforts and another 2 hours on your day --- srsly, it does suck when you go to such a length only to fail anyway. i feel so sorry that happened to you...

what's also ironic is that 50 yards from Narangbah station is the community centre which was packed last night with DQ members and MBSC animal rangers......if the ranger said what he said I would ring Ann-Marie Boyd at MBSC and have a chat to her about the situation.....

wow --- that's gunna hurt :(

You did great in trying to help. So sorry for the outcome.

The ranger should have at least come out to check for microchip. If those boys really wanted to keep him then the ranger should have gone to check with the boys family to make sure that the dog will be cared for,registed ect.

I think I would have taken him to the vet to check for microchip. Maybe then the ranger would have been contacted and the ranger would have been forced to come get him from the vet.

You did the best you could, good on you :(

Did you tell the RSPCA about the condition of the dog? It was their job to come and get it plus it was also the rangers job to come and get the dog. You should get on the phone and complain to the RSPCA and the member of parliament and the council. Because these people are getting paid to do a job and they aren't doing it. That was just a cop out by them. Horrible for the dog and for you. You cant blame yourself you tried. I guess next time demand them to come and get it or try and take it to the pound. Good on you for trying anyway you did the right thing.

b. He was entire

I walked away in tears. :(

sad isnt it.

the rscpa are begging for more power so they can "rescue" but didnt give a rats here. n you of course have no place to lodge an appeal or complaint the rspca are not showing their so called duty of care are they? n no where you can lodge a complaint about them not doing their job. let alone those who like ruth downey can appeal when they go over the top above and beyond in her case

nuff said eh

Edited by asal

Easy to say after the fact, but I would probably put the dog in my car and taken it to the nearest open vet clinic and hand him in there as a stray - then they would have made sure he got to the pound and at least had a chance that rescue might take him and rehome him somewhere better...

You did good - whatever happens now is not your "fault", OK?

T.

Thank you for everyone's kind words. I felt awful and couldn't stop myself imaging what might happen to the dog.

I would have taken him to the vets but by the time I got off the phone to the RSPCA (which was what I thought the right road to go down) they had closed. I wish now I'd just taken him to the vets straight away. If they could have taken him and assisted, would they not have said on the phone though? Instead they gave me the RSPCA's number.

Anyway - an update. I wrote a complaint and sent it to RSPCA Qld, Moreton Bay Council Animal Dept, the Mayor, and my local Councillor . Already had reply from Councillor stating it has been passed to the Mayor who will respond. The Mayor's PA has confirmed receipt and stated he is looking into. Confirmation of receipt from Council and RSPCA.

We shall see! Will keep you posted :p

Good for you for following this up Kristy...

Some serious butt kicking needs to be done and without your letters, the 'bosses' would never have known and actions like this would have continued.

Be assured that you did everything you could for this sweet dog but you have now helped alot more future stray dogs in the area.

Edited by Alison1474

Some serious butt kicking needs to be done and without your letters, the 'bosses' would never have known and actions like this would have continued.

Be assured that you did everything you could for this sweet dog but you have now helped alot more future stray dogs in the area.

I was wondering if perhaps I was wasting my time, and then thought, even if I am, I've tried. I will let everyone know when I get a response.

I look at all the wonderful rescues the dolers do on here and it restores my faith that there are people that care.

P.S. Thanks Cody - even though I didn't know for this time, useful to know for future, even for my furkids. I didn't realise there were any nearby vets open till that late!

well all I can say is next time the guy from the RSPCA says "is the dog hurt" - you say yes.

And if you want the ranger to come get the dog pronto - say it's menacing people. Sigh. He'll figure out it's not true when he gets there but he will have to do something about the dog then.

Reminds me of very old story/joke (I hope it was a joke) about man who rang police to say there were two kids robbing his shed in the back yard and getting reply from police that they were too busy to come right now. And he hangs up and then rings back a few minutes later and says - don't bother coming - I shot the burglars.

And five minutes later - 10 squad cars show up, a swat team and a helicopter, and a dog team and they catch the burglars still going through the shed. And the sergeant says to the home owner "I thought you said you shot them" and the home owner says "I thought you said you were busy".

A pity rangers are not more dilligent like parking inspectors. Though I know a few places that are neglected by parking inspectors much to the dismay of mums with toddlers who need the parking spaces when the students at the local high school do not.

I was wondering if perhaps I was wasting my time, and then thought, even if I am, I've tried. I will let everyone know when I get a response.

I look at all the wonderful rescues the dolers do on here and it restores my faith that there are people that care.

P.S. Thanks Cody - even though I didn't know for this time, useful to know for future, even for my furkids. I didn't realise there were any nearby vets open till that late!

http://www.burpengaryvet.com.au/home/index.cfm?type=1