Clothes Line

thomo84

Hey Everyone,

Our puppy Golden Retreiver has now grown to the height where he can jump and reach the clothes hanging from the clothes line.

Any suggestions for stopping or detering him from doing this would be great.

We have many toys and we just hang up and strentchy toy from our pergola that is like a bungy cord which he loves and we have ordered a sand bank for him to play in. So we are trying to provide many things for him to play with in the backyard and keeping his mind active.

Thanks

Two possible solutions:

1. Don't put clothes on the line when you're not home.

2. Fence off the puppy from the clothesline.

If you're providing a bungee cord type toy for puppy to play with, you're actually encouraging him to grab clothes. Dogs aren't great discriminators - if he's allowed to grab one thing and swing off it why not all?

Some swear by balloons filled with water or spraying water to distract. My dogs would adore that though. Some have even tried a rag soaked with tobasco sauce as a deterrent.

If my 3 were clothesline pullers I would be keeping clothes and dogs separate.

I did once have a poddy calf that only sucked my clothes on the line.

I've only had one dog that pulled my clothes off the line. I tried many tricks but the easiest thing was to keep her confined when I had clothes on the line. She grew out of it by around 18 months or so. Miller loves to drag the blankets around the yard from the kennels but he has never touched the clothes on the line. Thank dog!

some people put panty hoses on the line weighted down low so the dog can actually grab it but fill it with bad tasting stuff like pepper, lemon, spicy stuff so when the dog grabs it he doesnt like the taste so lets go

some people put panty hoses on the line weighted down low so the dog can actually grab it but fill it with bad tasting stuff like pepper, lemon, spicy stuff so when the dog grabs it he doesnt like the taste so lets go

This is a really good idea and I'm going to give it a go. Zeus has a habit of pulling clothes off the line in order to get at the pegs. For some reason he loves pegs and leaves the clothes once they're off the line! :thumbsup:

I gave up trying to stop my dogs ripping clothes off the line..... I bought a line to go on my deck where the dogs can't get to it :(

I gave up too. We have an extra tall line and we loop long arms and legs over the line twice so my pup definitely can't reach it.

I can vouch for the effectiveness of this using lots of pepper to "cure" a Rottweiler of the habit. Hang the pantyhose lower than the lowest article on the line and make sure it is done when you are there and able to supervise the experiment and observe the results. My boy had been pulling clothes off the line for months whilst my husband and I were at work. When we tried the "pepper in the pantyhose" experiment our dear dog could not drink enough water and developed an immediate disinterest in the clothes line. After this I always hung a pair of pantyhose on the line when I put clothes out and our Rottie was never ever a problem again.